UK broadband is among the slowest in Europe

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main benefit of fiber optics to me is not as much the down speed but the up speed, 40mbit down is what I would get with adsl compared to the 100mbit I get with fiber optics, however the just 2mbit up is really a killer, while I don't need 100mbit up 2mbit is just to little to even use torrents decently. Also nice to see that the Netherlands firmly holds its first place within europe.
Ditto. I don't really care much for the difference between 10Mb/second and 20Mb/second on downloads. That's still as fast as old USB 1.1 devices, no matter which speed you get. Now going from 1Mb/second to 10Mb/second on uploads is an entirely different matter. It makes stuff like I2P and H@H a lot more practical.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is sad... unless you have a 386 or something. In that case, pretty much any 'always-on' connection will slay the time record. Funny, though: Because of overhead, a 486 DX4 running at 100MHz will upload a lot slower than a 2GHz+ system, no matter if both are being limited by something like USB 1.0 speeds on the medium or 1Mb upload. I have a laptop that because of the older CPU and (slow/inefficient) Intel chipset, will max out at around 2Mb/s (256KB/s) downloads yet get 8+ on speed tests. This is on the same connection that my tower gets upto around 8Mb/s(1MB/s) on downloads from a single connection and almost near the maximum for my connection's limit on speed tests.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1