UK broadband is among the slowest in Europe

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The United States' broadband speed could certainly use some work as well. It would be nice if we put our minds to catching up, rather than continue to slip further and further behind the pack. Of course, considering all the other issues we're contending with, it doesn't seem to rank very high on the agenda.

Reactions: 1 person

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
We have amazing speeds here in the USA, but it costs an arm and a leg... I think most countries need to get with the times. If I'm not mistaken, Japan has Fiber Optics as standard connections.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well 'incredible' is 20Mb down, 2Mb up, around here. For a similar amount of money in some countries, you can get 100Mb/100Mb (full Ethernet 100). Still, it's a whole lot better than what Canadians and British get.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The United States' broadband speed could certainly use some work as well. It would be nice if we put our minds to catching up, rather than continue to slip further and further behind the pack. Of course, considering all the other issues we're contending with, it doesn't seem to rank very high on the agenda.
It's not just the speed but the options for where the data travels.
1) Alternatives for local, higher speed traffic with no ISP controls and no monopoly/duopoly price-fixing. Quite a bit of data can travel locally, thanks to concepts like BitTorrent and Freenet and Waste.
2) Privacy - Wireless mesh darknet is looking more and more needed, and CISPA or other crap isn't exactly hurting that demand.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ohh, France is all at the bottom.
Well ... I only have 1Mb/s connexion since 2005 :(
(I had 512kb/s in 2001)

But it should change soon, they are installing a new NRA 150 meters (100 miles?) in front of my home, I could increase to .... 20Mb/s :wtf:

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
your complaining look at my speed i'm connected at 13 m/bs but it doesn't go to that
1940532456.png

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
That down speed is great... unless that's just a burst measurement (possible from looking at the upload).
Well, the fastest speed I've hit is 2.1/2.2 megabytes/ps (Can't remember capital MB or not)
However my upload speed is right, 50kbps is essentially the highest I can reach,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Yay Netherlands :P Upload speed is kinda low (still good compared to the 0.5Kb/s some people are getting, though), but down speed is high enough for pretty much anything.

@Pong: The worst part is how that result is higher than 58% of GB.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

Yay Netherlands :P Upload speed is kinda low (still good compared to the 0.5Kb/s some people are getting, though), but down speed is high enough for pretty much anything.

@Pong: The worst part is how that result is higher than 58% of GB.

yea i noticed lol
the server gets pretty much 100 up 100 down
but limt the computers so they dont hog it all when downloading :P
gonna see if i can get a reading at some point

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Since everyone is posting results:

1941385313.png

It's usually faster, but it's 6.30PM and the servers are busy or whatever (usually goes around 95/100 during normal times), and wow, I've had this speed for over 2 years, I'm surprised it's faster than 98% of pt... I guess people lowered their internet speed with the crisis.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That down speed is great... unless that's just a burst measurement (possible from looking at the upload).
Well, the fastest speed I've hit is 2.1/2.2 megabytes/ps (Can't remember capital MB or not)
However my upload speed is right, 50kbps is essentially the highest I can reach,
Speed tests are in bits, not bytes, so 2.1 megabytes is ~16Mb down speed (as it would show on the test).

Reactions: 2 people

ConJ

The Toker
Trophies
Website
xat.com
XP
Country
In my area, we only get 400kbps DSL, It really sucks.

Especially when we have the cables under the road outside our house ready for cable.

Just...annoying.

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think that's bad? Imagine having fiber-optic cables just a mile from your house. My grandmother in an urban area of Texas has FIOS and it rocks. I don't think we have many of those fibers here in the mountain cities, though. The last mile duopoly has to end, sometime. They're just dragging it out so long as the technology and laws can allow them. The same thing happened with the post office when telephones got cheap for long-distance(1980's and 1990's) and the same happened to long-distance when broadband (more technically, cheap and dedicated lines with data transfer rates way over that needed for voice) came out.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The main benefit of fiber optics to me is not as much the down speed but the up speed, 40mbit down is what I would get with adsl compared to the 100mbit I get with fiber optics, however the just 2mbit up is really a killer, while I don't need 100mbit up 2mbit is just to little to even use torrents decently. Also nice to see that the Netherlands firmly holds its first place within europe.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...