UK Best place to buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Wizerzak, Sep 15, 2011.

Sep 15, 2011

UK Best place to buy? by Wizerzak at 6:03 PM (568 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    This is more of a hypothetical question but if I were to buy more RAM (or other parts, but RAM most specifically) where would be the best place to buy from in the UK in terms of price?

Also, separate question but: I'm kinda in a dilemma. I currently have 32bit Windows Vista installed on my PC with 2GB RAM (not great I know...) and I want to get some more. Problem is, if i get any more than 3GB then it wont have any effect (as it is a 32bit OS). I have heard that if I reinstall Windows I can choose between 32 and 64bit, is this true?

If it isn't then I have a couple of options:
    1) Pirate Windows 7 - I don't currently have much money to spare paying Bill Gates' wages, especially when Windows 8 is going to come out very soon. My only question is; how safe is this? I know certain members here advise against doing so but it is really that much of a risk?

2) Buy just 1GB more - Is this really worth it? Will it actually do much to the speed of my PC?

3) Just stick with 2GB - Although I don't see why anyone would advise having just 2GB in a PC. (Which is used quite a lot for gaming).

2. Uchiha Obito

Member Uchiha Obito GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    I've used Win7 pirated for a long time... No problems, as long as you crack it for ''genuine''.

You can install 64-bit, but your CPU/motherboard has to be able to handle it. And you have to download an specified version, which is the 64-bit... There are, though, versions that have both 32 and 64-bit included.

I think that adding more 2Gb Ram would be good, as long as you update

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I've used http://www.crucial.com/uk/ before and they was fast.

If you find them too pricey, just use their RAM tool to find out what RAM you need (that's if you don't know) and search on other sites for it.

4. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK, here are my results from the scan:

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 8GB
    Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
    Total Memory Slots: 4
    Available Memory Slots: 2
    1GB
    DDR PC2-5300
    1GB
    DDR PC2-5300

I've heard it's best to use memory of the same type. Is this true or doesn't it make a difference? Also, is £22 about right for 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 ?

Edit: And does anyone know about upgrading form 32 to 64 bit? (With the same key)

5. Pado

Member Pado GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    What's your PC's overall specification btw?

Yes, you can change to a 64-bit OS of your current Vista version with the same key. You do need to have a 64-bit Vista installation dvd though.

It's better if you choose the same type of DDR2 ram that you already have to evade possible compatibility issues, but the motherboard should simply use them all on the same standard speeds, if possible anyway.

6. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    It's a Dell XPS 720:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    2GB DDR2 PC2-5300RAM
    GeForce 8800 GTX 1.5GB
    Windows Vista 32-bit

^My current specs. I'm not too sure if my key is a 64-bit version or not [​IMG] Seeing as it came with 32 I presume it can't...

So would it be better to buy the PC2-5300 over the PC2-6400?

7. ChrisLuther

Newcomer ChrisLuther Member

United Kingdom
    Hi

The product keys are the same for 32 and 64 bit. Legally you can't use both at the same time. Backup, reformat and load off the Vista x64 DVD. Enter the key you have when prompted.

As for parts, i've always used
    www.dabs.com
    www.ebuyer.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.crucial.com/uk for memory but mostly uses corsair memory now - buy from above places.

Hope this helps

Chris

8. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hang on, I've just noticed, according to crucial.com's test I only have DDR not DDR2. Is this right? If I buy 2 x 1GB DDR2 will it be compatible?

9. ChrisLuther

Newcomer ChrisLuther Member

United Kingdom
    If you only have DDR slots then you can only use DDR - If you have one of those boards that has DDR and DDR2 slots then you can use 1 or the other.
    PC2-5300 IS DDR2 Memory. So if you buy more DDR2 then it will be compatible.

It is worth having a look at the memory you have and seeing if it has memory timiings on a sitcker. It might look like CAS 8-8-8-24 or maybe just 8-8-8-24. Get some that has the same timings otherwise you may have problems. If you can't see then it may be worh getting 2 * 2GB and either putting the 2 * 1GB you have in a safe place or in the bin(or try to sell)

Chris

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    The memory configurators sometimes get it wrong, I wouldn't trust that "maximum memory" figure; just because you've got 4 slots and can fit 2GB sticks in there doesn't nessasarily mean the motherboard can support 8GB . Check the manuals that came with your computer / motherboard for a definite answer. The previous post about matching the new modules to the sticks that are already in there is good advice.

Also to throw another site into the mix: http://www.novatech.co.uk/
    I haven't used them, but the reviews were pretty good when I was considering building a PC 2 years ago, worth googling for more recent info first though.

11. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    ^Thanks.

I've noticed some brands have a sorta 'value' range. Is there anything bad about these? Apart from the speeds, stats etc. is there anything I should be weary of?