• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

UK becomes first country to approve new pfizer vaccine

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UK has approved Pfizer's covid-19 vaccine and will begin vaccination to vulnerable populations as early as next week.

The US and Europe are expected to follow suit soon.

So what do you guys think, is the covid nightmare almost over?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN28C0OW

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think It's just beginning. Firstly I have no intention of taking this or any covid vaccine. I do hope the politicians who approved mass rollout are first in line though, maybe then I'd be a bit more willing. Secondly I better not lose any civil rights for refusing this vaccine, they're already talking about "covid passports" to allow people into supermarkets, pubs etc. We're becoming China more and more each day. Lastly this vaccine was developed in record time, like 9 months? for a 0.04% death rate. I'll stick with my own immune system.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is great news I have been stuck at home since March as I am on the vulnerable list due to my faulty lungs. I believe that round 1 of the vaccination program is to give it to the over 75s and all working in healthcare. Then round 2 is going to be 60 to 75s and anyone younger with health issues that could be fucked by coronavirus. Then round 3 will be everyone else.

Can't wait for round 2 and for me then to be able to actually get out and see the world again.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think It's just beginning. Firstly I have no intention of taking this or any covid vaccine. I do hope the politicians who approved mass rollout are first in line though, maybe then I'd be a bit more willing. Secondly I better not lose any civil rights for refusing this vaccine, they're already talking about "covid passports" to allow people into supermarkets, pubs etc. We're becoming China more and more each day. Lastly this vaccine was developed in record time, like 9 months? for a 0.04% death rate. I'll stick with my own immune system.
Pfizer had 43k participants in their large scale trial so I do have some measure of trust in the safety and efficacy.

Definitely agree you should not be forced to take the vaccine either through hard or soft power. I doubt the US at least could legally force such a thing - especially with the right to privacy inherent in the 13th amendment.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Pfizer had 43k participants in their large scale trial so I do have some measure of trust in the safety and efficacy.

Definitely agree you should not be forced to take the vaccine either through hard or soft power. I doubt the US at least could legally force such a thing - especially with the right to privacy inherent in the 13th amendment.
Still uneasy about it. I'll let the guinea pigs test it out.

Reactions: felix.200

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt the US at least could legally force such a thing - especially with the right to privacy inherent in the 13th amendment.

The 13th amendment abolished slavery. In the event that it becomes mandated (as is the case with diptheria, polio, whooping cough, rubella, mumps, and a few others), you will be unable to go to any public school, private school, or child care center. The state of California had a personal belief loophole. As a result? Two measles outbreaks, a disease thought to be eradicated since 2000 due to vaccination. This was fixed last year, it is now next to impossible to get an exemption if you want to do anything useful with your life. Same thing happened in New York state.

So, no. You have no constitutional protection against public health.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 13th amendment abolished slavery. In the event that it becomes mandated (as is the case with diptheria, polio, whooping cough, rubella, mumps, and a few others), you will be unable to go to any public school, private school, or child care center. The state of California had a personal belief loophole. As a result? Two measles outbreaks, a disease thought to be eradicated since 2000 due to vaccination. This was fixed last year, it is now next to impossible to get an exemption if you want to do anything useful with your life. Same thing happened in New York state.

So, no. You have no constitutional protection against public health.
The 13th amendment is also what confers some bill of rights protections to the states - it's ridiculous to say it only abolished slavery as it is the whole basis for roe v wade.

But in any case, this is different. They can't stop you from going to a store because you didn't get your MMR - just like they won't be able to stop you from going to the store if you didn't get your covid vaccine.

Now it may be the case they stop kids from going to school as you said - but beyond that I have a hard time believing they will be able to go much farther.

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely. You can walk down to the liquor store. You can hop on a bus, you can drive anywhere in the country. You can even get a job. But you can't go to school, can't join the military, can't get an immigration visa, and you can't get a job that requires a college degree. On top of getting sick and possibly dying from it, your privileges in life are severely limited. All of this because of what, Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey? Autism? Mercury? Egg allergies? Pick a card.

Last edited by rsx,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great for those desperately who have a health issues and elderly people to save their life but not for me. I avoid flu shot for over 11 years.

They are more important than us as a healthy people.

Reactions: Doran754

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
This is good news.
Hopefully it gets rolled worldwide and so we will no longer need to live with all the measures to prevent spreading the disease if it no longer makes people sick.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So... Just in time for st Nicholas? Nice timing there, guys. B-)

Ahem... It's great news. It'd be egoistic to want to be along the first (retirement homes and hospital workers get priority as far as I'm concerned) , but I'll get it as soon as possible.

From what I hear, the side effects aren't heavier than in regular flu shots. But even so : I want this virus gone. I understand a degree of hesitations concerning side effects, but only to a degree.

@those flat out refusing the vaccine because of paranoia : fuck you. :angry:

Reactions: IncredulousP
D

Deleted User

I will get vaccinated voluntarily. Most likely in the second half of next year. If a logical reason is found to be concerned with a particular vaccine then I will get a different vaccine. In Australia unvaccinated people will have their lifestyles increasingly restricted. I would have gotten vaccinated even without these restrictions but they motivate me to get vaccinated sooner rather than later.

The government requires unvaccinated international passengers to complete two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine at their own expense when they arrive in Australia. The airline Quantas will soon require all passengers on international flights to be vaccinated as a condition of boarding. More restrictions will be created in the future. You can either get vaccinated at the government's expense or participate in measures to control the virus' spread at your own expense.

It's ok to be cautious but don't confuse caution with paranoia. Don't listen to groups who claim to be "pro-choice" and argue "informed consent". What they are actually doing is using a noble sounding cause to get your attention and spread disinformation. Take the Australian Vaccination-risks Network linked below for example.

Warning: this website contains false and misleading information.
https://avn.org.au/

Last edited by ,
Reactions: IncredulousP

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reminder that a vaccine is not just to protect you, it's to prevent you from passing on the coronavirus to others in your community who haven't yet or can't get the vaccine themselves. If enough people do this then it can significantly reduce the spread of the virus (aka herd immunity).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: