• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

UK approves AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd say I'd trust this more than the mRNA vax that Moderna and Pfizer is from the reading I've done...but honestly? Considering I've probably been exposed to the virus already, and that taking the vaccine apparently doesn't get rid of the need for masks, I really have to wonder what the incentive of getting the vaccine is for someone like myself who was completely asymptomatic, immune, or whatever the fuck at this point. I know, there's more strains of the virus, but I just am not scared of this virus in regards to my own health.
Let me get this straight: you assume you've been exposed to the virus because your personal reasoning, and take that as proof that you're either asymptomatic or immune (or "whatever the fuck"). You build on that assumption by saying there is no incentive for you because you still have to wear a mask afterwards. Erm...let me tackle the latter first: the vaccine doesn't turn you into an anti-covid machine. If you get in contact with the virus, it can still reside on your body. Your antibodies will still need to fight it (though it'd be much easier for them). So as such, you can still infect others.
But really...I think it's mostly a solidarity measure. It'll take time before everyone (who wants to) gets vaccinated, and if vaccinated people will walk around without masks in that time, it'll just get others the idea that it's safer than it really is (besides...80 or 95% chance is still below 100).

Here's something to consider: there's a pretty large majority of people in first world nations who work jobs that require their physical presence, and where, depending on the environment, people either take this virus seriously because they're told to and don't stand up for themselves, or they only wear it when necessary, and put it off to the side for most of the day.
They...put the virus off to the side for most of the day? I don't think you wrote what you meant to say there. :unsure:

In case you meant "face masks" by the "it", then the response is simple: you're dead wrong. My girlfriend works in the hospital. They don't need reminders, and aren't wearing those "because they're told to and don't stand up for themselves", but it's because most if not everyone there has seen people die of the complications.
I personally work for a multinational with many stores. At least two had to close down because of covid measures. And even if it wasn't for that, it's a direct influx on our income (we're about to fire 100+ people). Because of that, most people know at least some others who have gotten seriously ill. So...with all due respect, but take your "people don't stand up for themselves" opinion and shove it where the sun doesn't shine(1). :angry:

(1): it's of course my opinion, but whenever someone talks about people being "sheep" or needing to "stand up for themselves", it's always used as a justification for breaking rules. Basically: it's saying "don't follow that crowd, you sheep! Follow MY opinion instead".

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Erm...I guess it's good to have a backup, but who would want an 80% effective vaccine if the pfizer vaccine is 95% effective? IIRC, the latter also has the second shot 3 weeks later, so you're both faster and better protected.
...but I presume this vaccine is stored at room temperature? That at least would be an advantage.

@leon315 : so...do you have an actual opinion on AstraZeneca or are you just here to derail the thread?

Still...okay, okay: I'll bite:

Any source on this? I googled, but the best I could come up with was this piece that mentions around 100 medics were unwilling to receive the immunisation, adding that vaccine scepticism was “incompatible with the profession because it denied the scientific evidence.
You're not telling me that Italy has less than 200 people working in the medical sector, right? :P

EDIT: ...but to circle around back on topic: do you think this vaccine (AstraZeneca) be more scientifically proven, and thus met with less criticism?
The truth is there are only 100s medics resulted in the news cauz they are from one of the most relevant and influential Hospital in Italy thus only very small portion of doctors are caught in the spotlight.

the reason? many preferred to stay anonymous since Govt. passed law about mandatory vaccination for all employed hospital medical staffs, who intentionally rejects vaccine will be fired.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this straight: you assume you've been exposed to the virus because your personal reasoning, and take that as proof that you're either asymptomatic or immune (or "whatever the fuck"). You build on that assumption by saying there is no incentive for you because you still have to wear a mask afterwards. Erm...let me tackle the latter first: the vaccine doesn't turn you into an anti-covid machine. If you get in contact with the virus, it can still reside on your body. Your antibodies will still need to fight it (though it'd be much easier for them). So as such, you can still infect others.
But really...I think it's mostly a solidarity measure. It'll take time before everyone (who wants to) gets vaccinated, and if vaccinated people will walk around without masks in that time, it'll just get others the idea that it's safer than it really is (besides...80 or 95% chance is still below 100).

They...put the virus off to the side for most of the day? I don't think you wrote what you meant to say there. :unsure:

In case you meant "face masks" by the "it", then the response is simple: you're dead wrong. My girlfriend works in the hospital. They don't need reminders, and aren't wearing those "because they're told to and don't stand up for themselves", but it's because most if not everyone there has seen people die of the complications.
I personally work for a multinational with many stores. At least two had to close down because of covid measures. And even if it wasn't for that, it's a direct influx on our income (we're about to fire 100+ people). Because of that, most people know at least some others who have gotten seriously ill. So...with all due respect, but take your "people don't stand up for themselves" opinion and shove it where the sun doesn't shine(1). :angry:

(1): it's of course my opinion, but whenever someone talks about people being "sheep" or needing to "stand up for themselves", it's always used as a justification for breaking rules. Basically: it's saying "don't follow that crowd, you sheep! Follow MY opinion instead".

Ah, putting words in my mouth. I never said sheep anywhere in my post. I'm sure the ACLU, and the SPLC would love that kind of accusatory dialogue.

And no, I don't work in a hospital. Some of us here in America take Benjamin Franklin's words about those who'd trade freedom for a little security not being deserving of it a little more seriously than your feelings. Like I think I said, some of us have bills that aren't just gonna magically disappear if we had stopped working, food to put on the table, and some had good careers before the governments that claimed to know better destroyed all that they worked towards.

I mean, where's the outrage for the people who've committed suicide because of this pandemic on this fucking site, huh? No, it's all about the anti-vaxxers, the right, the religious, the people that even an agnostic like myself can see a clear bias towards, which I'm not surprised by considering I looked up and saw some people here also browse the Human Centipede known as Reddit.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think you have a personal bias against getting vaccinated and you only use logic when you seek to rationalise your behaviour. Your logic is flawed too.

You previously claimed the vaccine causes infertility in females without checking the validity of the claim. The comment above yours had already provided evidence proving the claim is false.

Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/covid-19-vaccine.579062/page-2#post-9300058

Next you cited the incident where Tiffany Dover fainted minutes after receiving the vaccine. This was caused by a medical condition she has which sometimes causes her to faint when she feels paint, not the vaccine. QAnan Twitter accounts are not a reliable source of information.

Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/covid-19-vaccine.579062/page-4#post-9300288
Source: https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9817674811

The Economist estimates that only 18-24% of Americans have been infected with the coronavirus. While I don't know which state you live in or whether you have been in close contact with positive cases, it's likely that rather than being 100% asymptomatic, you never got infected.

To read past the paywall view the page source and search for the string "this week".
Source: https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...mericans-may-have-been-infected-with-covid-19

When you get into a car wearing a seatbelt does not change the fact you might die. You wear one anyway because it is the safer option.

Fact remains, people die of the coronavirus. The New South Wales outbreak is growing and the Victorian outbreak is likely to follow suit. We can minimise further deaths by vaccinating the vulnerable sooner rather than later. Let's not forget long-covid.

This is false information. The vaccines available are highly likely to work on the mutated forms and can be updated as necessary.

Source: https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/v...rains/65-8734e2a6-a18f-49ab-b2b5-6d198da45782
Source: https://abc7news.com/health/scientists-monitoring-covid-19-variant-for-impact-on-vaccines/9188274/

Ah, yes, prosecutor. Because clearly, you can infer one's opinion on a site based on a few posts, and ignore the nuance I put into them that, if you actually read what was said, you'd know I'm not anti-vax at all.

Also, thanks for showing you have no life, job, or any meaningful responsibilities by digging up people's old posts.

D

Deleted User

Ah, yes, prosecutor. Because clearly, you can infer one's opinion on a site based on a few posts, and ignore the nuance I put into them that, if you actually read what was said, you'd know I'm not anti-vax at all.

Also, thanks for showing you have no life, job, or any meaningful responsibilities by digging up people's old posts.
By getting defensive and using ad hominem attacks you're providing more evidence to support my claim.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By getting defensive and using ad hominem attacks you're providing more evidence to support my claim.

Oh yes, because that's how evidence works now.

Can anyone answer if this thing is an mRNA based vaccine, or are they too busy circlejerking each other over Joe Biden being declared president by the media?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
India and Argentina have now also approved the AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine

https://www.reuters.com/article/reutersComService_2_MOLT/idUSKBN296292

Oh yes, because that's how evidence works now.

Can anyone answer if this thing is an mRNA based vaccine, or are they too busy circlejerking each other over Joe Biden being declared president by the media?

This vaccine as stated in the first post is a traditional vaccine not utilizing recombinant mRNA technology

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's the best shot we've got right now and feels like a necessary step in the right direction.

Here's some info direct from the company if anyone's interested:

AZD1222 was co-invented by the University of Oxford and its spin-out company, Vaccitech. It uses a replication-deficient chimpanzee viral vector based on a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenovirus) that causes infections in chimpanzees and contains the genetic material of the SARS-CoV-2 virus spike protein. After vaccination, the surface spike protein is produced, priming the immune system to attack the SARS-CoV-2 virus if it later infects the body.

The interim analysis for efficacy was based on 11,636 participants accruing 131 symptomatic infections from the UK and Brazil Phase III trials conducted by Oxford University. As announced on 23 November 2020, the primary efficacy endpoint based on a pooled analysis showed that the vaccine was 70.4% (confidence interval: 54.8% to 80.6%) effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 occurring more than 14 days after receiving two doses of the vaccine. A secondary efficacy endpoint of prevention of severe disease demonstrated no cases of severe infections or hospitalisations in the vaccine group.

The safety data published so far is from over 20,000 participants enrolled across four clinical trials in the UK and Brazil and South Africa. The Lancet publication confirmed that AZD1222 was well tolerated and that there were no serious safety events confirmed related to the vaccine. The participants were from diverse racial and geographic groups who are healthy or have stable underlying medical conditions. This analysis provides safety data on 74,341 person-months of follow-up after first dose (median 3.4 months) and 29,060 person-months of follow-up after two doses (median 2.0 months). The overall reported rates of serious adverse events were 0.7% in the vaccine group and 0.8% in the control group.

D

Deleted User

Everyone is making their own vaccine, eh.

However, cancer is still uncurable.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is making their own vaccine, eh.

However, cancer is still uncurable.
A lot of cancer is curable

The issue with curing "cancer" is it is an umbrella term that encompasses hundreds of diseases

So here we are chasing after each form of cancer slowly and naturally we cure some types but there are many more left

Look into PDL-1 inhibitors for a solid breakthrough in many types of cancer

We have a long way to go but there is a lot of promise

Now the thing about vaccines is they are very simple (mechanistically) so of course everyone is jumping on board to make em, if cancer could be cured as easily everyone would be doing that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free