• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

UK approves AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The UK has approved the AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine.

This vaccine is a more traditional variety created from a deficient Chimpanzee adenovirus and the Covid-19 spike protein.

Crucially, this more typical vaccine can be stored in a normal refrigerator and will thus be easier to administer in poorer countries without access to super cold freezers.

The USA and EU are not likely to approve the vaccine in the immediate future as there is still some question as to the most effective dose. Early analysis had shown a half dose followed by a full dose to be more effective than two full doses. The UK has approved only two administrations of a full dose.

So what do you guys think? Would you be more likely to trust this more traditional vaccine vector? Do you think the UK jumped the gun on approving this new vaccine? Do you think they did this for fear of the new rapidly spreading covid variant in the UK? And finally, isn't it interesting the UK keeps approving these vaccines before anyone else?

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2940KS

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly, the intial results were 60% effective?

Apparently the UK government thinks thats good enough...
Apparently it is about 80% effective with two full doses 3 months apart.

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing - and if everyone got the vaccine and it was 80% effective that would probably be enough to halt transmission entirely. And even if it wasn't, that combined with other more effective vaccines in the general population would surely be enough to halt transmission.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A lot of people have doubts about the new vaccines and will be more likely to trust the more traditional technology, and get vaccinated.
But more importantly, this vaccine can be stored at refrigerator temperature, so the distribution and storage won't be as complex and expensive as with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines; and the Oxford vaccine is significantly cheaper than the mRNA vaccines, making it more accessible to many.
So if it gets approved globally, that would be great.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I MEANT the statistics announced by Pfizer was too good to be real.
No. It's a different vaccine, using a different approach, different biological mechanism of achieving immunity, so the effectiveness is different.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I MEANT the statistics announced by Pfizer was too good to be real.
How so? Care to give any details?

Pfizer's vaccine is still thought to be around 95% effective.

This is a separate vaccine made by a separate group with a separate mechanism and thus separate results.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How so? Care to give any details?

Pfizer's vaccine is still thought to be around 95% effective.

This is a separate vaccine made by a separate group with a separate mechanism and thus separate results.
Pfizer's vaccine compared to any other ones (Russian or Chinese ones) took roughly only 6 months to develop, every process was rushed to make it to the public ASAP, thus lakes very important mass Clinic tests and confirmation, the data to back their claims is limited none of us are sure the real effectiveness and the direct negative consequences through the long term.

I'm not one of those anti-vaxxers fortunately, but seriously don't trust those Pharmaceutic company like Pfizer for the reasons you probably already know.

P.s. italy has begun Pfizer's vaccination campaign today, medics are those receive 1st vaccine, but seems huge negativeness are receiving among many nurses, nearly 60% of doctors and nurses refused to Pfizer's vaccine.

Last edited by leon315,

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pfizer's vaccine compared to any other ones (Russian or Chinese ones) took roughly only 6 months to develop, every process was rushed to make it to the public ASAP, thus lakes very important mass Clinic tests and confirmation, the data to back their claims is limited none of us are sure the real effectiveness and the direct negative consequences through the long term.

I'm not one of those anti-vaxxers fortunately, but seriously don't trust those Pharmaceutic company like Pfizer for the reasons you probably already know.

P.s. italy has begun Pfizer's vaccination campaign today, medics are those receive 1st vaccine, but seems huge negativeness are receiving among many nurses, nearly 60% of doctors and nurses refused to Pfizer's vaccine.
I mean I agree the process was really fast, but I don't know why you brought up pfizer in this thread at all - it's off topic and the efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine is not related to the efficacy of the pfizer vaccine in any way.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I expected the topic on comparison about real effectiveness of various upcoming vaccines, since this is will major break point of this historical event.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...I guess it's good to have a backup, but who would want an 80% effective vaccine if the pfizer vaccine is 95% effective? IIRC, the latter also has the second shot 3 weeks later, so you're both faster and better protected.
...but I presume this vaccine is stored at room temperature? That at least would be an advantage.

@leon315 : so...do you have an actual opinion on AstraZeneca or are you just here to derail the thread?

Still...okay, okay: I'll bite:
Any source on this? I googled, but the best I could come up with was this piece that mentions around 100 medics were unwilling to receive the immunisation, adding that vaccine scepticism was “incompatible with the profession because it denied the scientific evidence.
You're not telling me that Italy has less than 200 people working in the medical sector, right? :P

EDIT: ...but to circle around back on topic: do you think this vaccine (AstraZeneca) be more scientifically proven, and thus met with less criticism?

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say I'd trust this more than the mRNA vax that Moderna and Pfizer is from the reading I've done...but honestly? Considering I've probably been exposed to the virus already, and that taking the vaccine apparently doesn't get rid of the need for masks, I really have to wonder what the incentive of getting the vaccine is for someone like myself who was completely asymptomatic, immune, or whatever the fuck at this point. I know, there's more strains of the virus, but I just am not scared of this virus in regards to my own health.

I know, "but it's about keeping others safe!"

Here's something to consider: there's a pretty large majority of people in first world nations who work jobs that require their physical presence, and where, depending on the environment, people either take this virus seriously because they're told to and don't stand up for themselves, or they only wear it when necessary, and put it off to the side for most of the day.

I mean, what's next? You can't go outside because one might have allergies? Or that you could get mauled by a bear? Or your nether regions crushed by deer?

If everyone was that deathly afraid back in the Hunter-gatherer days, humanity's existence would only be fossilized.

D

Deleted User

There is a new outbreak in New South Wales which has spread to Victoria. Australia doesn't intend to approve a vaccine until March. While the coronavirus was limited to quarantined patients we had the luxury of waiting. Now that it's out in the wild again we need to approve a vaccine for emergency use and start vaccinating the vulnerable as soon as possible.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...eak-rises-to-six-and-nsw-reports-10-new-cases

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
There is a new outbreak in New South Whales which has spread to Victoria. Australia doesn't intend to approve a vaccine until March. While the coronavirus was limited to quarantined patients we had the luxury of waiting. Now that it's out in the wild again we need to approve a vaccine for emergency use and start vaccinating the vulnerable as soon as possible.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...eak-rises-to-six-and-nsw-reports-10-new-cases
Ehm...

5jjG6fW.png

Peak was at below 700 a day - which is nothing. Population density in Australia is ehm... low, you dont have winters... Ehm...

FOMO?

I mean, at its peak, Australia had 60 deaths a day, and now it has 4. Germany has 1000. US has 4000.

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

I'd say I'd trust this more than the mRNA vax that Moderna and Pfizer is from the reading I've done...but honestly? Considering I've probably been exposed to the virus already, and that taking the vaccine apparently doesn't get rid of the need for masks, I really have to wonder what the incentive of getting the vaccine is for someone like myself who was completely asymptomatic, immune, or whatever the fuck at this point. I know, there's more strains of the virus, but I just am not scared of this virus in regards to my own health.

I know, "but it's about keeping others safe!"

Here's something to consider: there's a pretty large majority of people in first world nations who work jobs that require their physical presence, and where, depending on the environment, people either take this virus seriously because they're told to and don't stand up for themselves, or they only wear it when necessary, and put it off to the side for most of the day.

I mean, what's next? You can't go outside because one might have allergies? Or that you could get mauled by a bear? Or your nether regions crushed by deer?

If everyone was that deathly afraid back in the Hunter-gatherer days, humanity's existence would only be fossilized.
I think you have a personal bias against getting vaccinated and you only use logic when you seek to rationalise your behaviour. Your logic is flawed too.

You previously claimed the vaccine causes infertility in females without checking the validity of the claim. The comment above yours had already provided evidence proving the claim is false.

Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/covid-19-vaccine.579062/page-2#post-9300058

Next you cited the incident where Tiffany Dover fainted minutes after receiving the vaccine. This was caused by a medical condition she has which sometimes causes her to faint when she feels paint, not the vaccine. QAnan Twitter accounts are not a reliable source of information.

Source: https://gbatemp.net/threads/covid-19-vaccine.579062/page-4#post-9300288
Source: https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9817674811

The Economist estimates that only 18-24% of Americans have been infected with the coronavirus. While I don't know which state you live in or whether you have been in close contact with positive cases, it's likely that rather than being 100% asymptomatic, you never got infected.

To read past the paywall view the page source and search for the string "this week".
Source: https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...mericans-may-have-been-infected-with-covid-19

When you get into a car wearing a seatbelt does not change the fact you might die. You wear one anyway because it is the safer option.
Ehm...

5jjG6fW.png

Peak was at below 700 a day - which is nothing. Population density in Australia is ehm... low, you dont have winters... Ehm...

FOMO?

I mean, at its peak, Australia had 60 deaths a day, and now it has 4. Germany has 1000. US has 4000.
Fact remains, people die of the coronavirus. The New South Wales outbreak is growing and the Victorian outbreak is likely to follow suit. We can minimise further deaths by vaccinating the vulnerable sooner rather than later. Let's not forget long-covid.
vaccine is useless now anyway the virus has mutated!
This is false information. The vaccines available are highly likely to work on the mutated forms and can be updated as necessary.

Source: https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/v...rains/65-8734e2a6-a18f-49ab-b2b5-6d198da45782
Source: https://abc7news.com/health/scientists-monitoring-covid-19-variant-for-impact-on-vaccines/9188274/

Last edited by ,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Fact remains, people die of the coronavirus. The New South Wales outbreak is growing and the Victorian outbreak is likely to follow suit. We can minimise further deaths by vaccinating the vulnerable sooner rather than later. Let's not forget long-covid.
Sure. But thats not what drives your countries vaccine approvement, or procurement procedures.

And actually for your country not moving into 70% of your population (x2) mass procurement at the moment might actually be whats needed world wide at the moment.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers...purchase-covid-19-vaccine-doses-through-covax

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released