Hacking Uhoh The Big N Is Pissed Off :P

cheesyPOOF5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Right now, I think about 99% of wii modchips are used for pirating games. Nintendo doesn't want to let this happen so they're finally doing something about it. I'm sure this also has to do with people trying to trick Nintendo into fixing or replacing their Wiis when they screwed them up themselves.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
in my most honest humble opinion, it is a bad idea for Nintendo to post anything related on the main page to mod chips. This will only spark more interest in them. There's plenty of legit users out there that are still oblivious to mod chips and to assume that everyone is aware of them is not that good of a thing. They should keep this in one of their documentation pages in small print because people poking around for information on their home site about it will come to that and conclude what they will.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Maybe nintendo made the silly mistake that people were actually still honest.

Yeah, because people were so honest with every other console out on the market.
rolleyes.gif

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
You can't tell the Wii has been opened because there's no security sticker over a screw. If Nintendo would have done that, I wouldn't have modded my Wii. It's their own fault for making the Wii openable without it being noticed by a store employee.

That's the stupidest thing that I've ever heard. It's not their fault for making their system "hackable." Just because they didn't put a sticker over a screw doesn't mean that you're alleviated from all responsibly from modifying your system and downloading/burning games.

If they had put a "security sticker" over a screw, then the mod chips would be sold with replacement security stickers. And then you'd go "Well what the hell Nintendo. It's your own fault I'm modding your system. This security sticker is so easy to get around. You should have welded your case shut." And so on.

I mean, I'm gonna mod my Wii too really soon. It's not like I'm really against this process or anything. But just don't think that because people have figured out how to bypass the myriad of Wii security features that were put in place it's somehow Nintendo's own fault.

I never meant it like that, thank you for taking my statement out of context. I'm saying that store employees have no way of checking whether or not a Wii has been opened. There's no security sticker like there is on other consoles. I never said that because they didn't put a sticker on a screw means that I can do whatever I want.

You can't replace a security sticker that has your serial # on it. You took my entire statement out of context.
lecture.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
even if they did, that doesn't mean that the majority of stores are going to check/care if the seal has been broken. we're talking about minimum wage employees in this scenario. heh this reminds me of an article I read today where this dumbass tried to region mod his dreamcast and fried it, then returned it to eb and they gave him a brand new one (this was near launch, I don't even know why this news item is on the site I was reading lol). I think people like that are idiots though..I mean I don't go out and buy something then break it and return it expecting someone to give me another one. That is foolish and downright unethical.

Chiisuchianu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indeed by putting this piracy thing on their website they will only increase piracy. the simplest and greatest measure they can take to end all this is simply to add a warranty void if broken sticker.

absolutely ridiculous

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no store should accept a broken wii back unless it is inspected, they should have policies about that.

I don't own a wii, but I think that anyone who breaks their wii blundering a mod and returns it for a new one is a ****head. It's not nintendo's fault that these people are imbiciles.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say f.. the big N. I BOUGHT the console, it's my PROPERTY, and I can do what I WANT with it.

Read some of the topic but this has to be the funniest one. A console is like software, you OWN the right to USE it. Nintendo still holds the patent and PROPERTY of the Wii console. Do we call the Wii a "STRIDER" Wii? no we call it a NINTENDO Wii.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say f.. the big N. I BOUGHT the console, it's my PROPERTY, and I can do what I WANT with it.

Read some of the topic but this has to be the funniest one. A console is like software, you OWN the right to USE it. Nintendo still holds the patent and PROPERTY of the Wii console. Do we call the Wii a "STRIDER" Wii? no we call it a NINTENDO Wii.

actually he has a point, once u bought that thing nintendo can't take it away from you. That $249.99 bought you a piece of plastic filled with computer parts. So I'd have to agree..I mean even if he wanted to use the thing as a door stop that is up to him. The thing is it is illegal to copy and use copies of software on it. I would find it hard to believe that it is illegal to install a modchip inside the thing, I mean wtf can they do it is your property.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
So...posting that statement on the homepage will make some people mod his console?
Ain´t that like saying that after playing GTA somebody will go out and kill people?
unsure.gif

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
are you being serious? just look at the EULA...err wait you dont have one. But look at any console EULAs that you might have and in Lawyer speech it will state that you own the right to use it not own it. I do agree that you can do what you want with it once you have paid for it. But Nintendo shouldn't have to replace or fix your console because you installed a after market chip and messed it up.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but I think that anyone who breaks their wii blundering a mod and returns it for a new one is a ****head.Â

Mostly this isn't about "blundering a mod". PAL users who had older firmware and ran NTSC SPM (included update) inadvertantly bricked their systems. The built in Nintendo protection wouldn't have allowed the NTSC disc to boot in the first place, but the chip allowed it, then the incorrect region update jacked it. It's a tough situation, but those people aren't ****heads to return those. This is apparently what prompted Nintendo to put the message on their European site.

Chiisuchianu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you being serious? just look at the EULA...err wait you dont have one. But look at any console EULAs that you might have and in Lawyer speech it will state that you own the right to use it not own it. I do agree that you can do what you want with it once you have paid for it. But Nintendo shouldn't have to replace or fix your console because you installed a after market chip and messed it up.
no one has ever said that nintendo should fix broken consoles as a result of user error. in fact everyone has agreed nintendo should be protected against this fraud. modding your console is another issue. i also think that it is tough sghit for those people who bricked theirs because of a nintendo update, mentioned above. thats the risk you should be prepared to take and like i said earlier, the easiest way to fix this is with a sticker

Chronics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, this only makes Nintendo more angey at the fact people mod, so in the futre for their new NIntendo Systems with Dvd's or w.e..its gonna be extrmemrly hard to mod, but always people bypass it, but is this mod "wiikey" now gonna be in any great danger? like how the SPM update, runined some/many systems....ummmmm...what is up to come??!
um....

the companys that sells mod have no great danger to NIntendo, its the fact they sell it, doesnt mean the customer has good or bad protential to do whatever they want..

like buying a gun, people with guns kill people, not the gun that kills people...almost the same...not really but whatever

Chronics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my most honest humble opinion, it is a bad idea for Nintendo to post anything related on the main page to mod chips. This will only spark more interest in them. There's plenty of legit users out there that are still oblivious to mod chips and to assume that everyone is aware of them is not that good of a thing. They should keep this in one of their documentation pages in small print because people poking around for information on their home site about it will come to that and conclude what they will.

where on the site is that on?

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but I think that anyone who breaks their wii blundering a mod and returns it for a new one is a ****head.Â

Mostly this isn't about "blundering a mod". PAL users who had older firmware and ran NTSC SPM (included update) inadvertantly bricked their systems. The built in Nintendo protection wouldn't have allowed the NTSC disc to boot in the first place, but the chip allowed it, then the incorrect region update jacked it. It's a tough situation, but those people aren't ****heads to return those. This is apparently what prompted Nintendo to put the message on their European site.

you have a point, however nintendo is not responsible for any territory circumvention devices. they intended that game to be played on an NTSC/U system and can argue in court that it was put there specifically for that game.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
its one thing to brick your console and send it to nintendo to get it fixed for a fee, its another to return it to the shop claiming it doesnt work and getting a new console... which eventually gets sent back to nintendo and they have to cover the whole cost of the console themselves. Nintendo has done nothing wrong, and its unfair they should have to bare such costs or to give consoles to people who were stupid enough to brick them when theres plenty of demand for people actually wanting to *pay* for the product!

i dont think i'd be right to turn around and criticise nintendo in any way shape or form for what they had done on their website

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: i like totinos party pizzas. lol.