Uh-oh. New PS3. 4.30 rog, multiman, first time I play PS3 game off USB HDD, 3 beeps, red lights.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Punkonjunk, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Punkonjunk
    OP

Newcomer Punkonjunk Member

OK, so, this sounds bad. Of course I did some googling, and it sounds like this is a precursor to YLoD.

First thing I did was buy God of war collection, and playing that was just fine. As soon as I got god of war 3 on the external HDD, and I'm pretty sure it has to cache that to the PS3s internal HDD, as I've read.

So this happened after about 20 minutes of playing the game. What I'm wondering, is there a diagnostic tool to test the HDD/hardware at all?
    If it's a failing HDD, that should be pretty easy to replace, right?
    Could it be my external HDD failing? can't buffer, PS3 panics and shuts down?

If it's heat.... what then? Am I SOL?

Again, what happened is after 20 minutes, I got 3 short beeps, console turned off, and the red light flashed on and off.

2. Elliander

Member Elliander GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I researched the topic before buying my PS3. I didn't read anything about how to diagnose an over heating hard drive, but I did read that the PS3 becomes less effective at removing heat. The first thing I would do is put your hands near the airflow. If it feels cool when playing a game you are in serious trouble. (it would mean that heat is not being properly pulled away) Aside from that, I highly suggest applying these cooling mods. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself there are companies that will do these for you, but at least two of the mods should be easy to do yourself - replacing the 15" fan with a 19" fan, and upgrading to a more heat efficient power supply. This guide shows you how to do all of that:

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

I purchased mine premodded with all of these suggestions. The only modification I don't have is the "xflow" mod. That one is easy to do and guaranteed to cool it down significantly, but it makes it all much louder and is irreversible (drilling holes) so I figure I will wait and see if I need it.

Also, under no circumstances should you ever *EVER* use one of those so-called "cooling systems" for PS3/Xbox - they are junk! I had an Xbox 360 die instantly with it's use. Even if you don't power it through your console (which generates heat) if the fans spin faster than the console fans it creates a suction that pulls the air out which forces the system fans to move faster and causes more heat to be generated. They cause heat failure, and I am shocked they have not faced a class action lawsuit by now.

However, you can use a laptop cooling fan if you lay your console flat. Upright is still preferred, but I ordered one with a single large fan after reading reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V8AC1W/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will let you know how it works out for me, but the basic idea is that it keeps heat from building up on the bottom.

As for hard drive concerns I really don't know how to diagnose that, but I would love to find out. Worst case scenario you could try replacing it with a solid state drive. They run much cooler. If it wasn't for smaller sizes I would likely do that myself, but if it came down to a choice between dangerous heat I can't remove and larger sizes I'd probably switch to solid state and then put more emphasis on external storage.