Uh oh. Broken R shoulder button.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by blizeH, Oct 15, 2007.

Oct 15, 2007
  1. blizeH
    OP

Member blizeH GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    When I try to use the shoulder button, it doesn't work unless I press it down pretty firmly, I've tried this in a few games (GBA and NDS) just to make 100% sure it's hardware and not software and it did it in all of them.

I've had a look on this forum and can't find any talk of it before, so I assume it's not at all a common problem, thus won't have a common or easy fix either? Any suggestions on what I could do short of selling it and hoping someone else can fix it? I've got the Tri-Wing screwdriver (somewhere!) btw

Thanks

2. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It has been quite a common problem. Some people have taken the shoulder off and checked the spring or check for dirt or dust under the button.

I remember reading that one of the main causes of the shoulder button going was because of MPH haha because of lots of shoulder button action.

Yea so check the spring and for dirt!

3. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ah good shout, many thanks Iain! I'm going to hunt for my Tri-Wing screwdriver now, I swear I have one since I attempted to fix my little cousin's DS but I can't find it anywhere now [​IMG]

4. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i'm sure that most people blow into the shoulder on their ds
    look up a combination of these words
    "blow famous trick or and nintendo" and see what i pops up with [​IMG]

5. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Many thanks, just gave that a try and no luck, also searching for the famous blow trick on here didn't find anything either, hehe.

I've got my DS half apart now (managed to find the Tri-Wing, about 5 seconds after I almost bought another from eBay) and I can't work out where the final screw(s) are hiding, sigh!

6. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Under the grips. There's a video on youtube taking the ds apart fully.

7. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    First of all, id you try the shock method?
    All proof of its validity is anecdotal, but I can personally a test that it has a success rate. Members of GBAtemp reported success swinging/banging their DS's shoulder button on the corner of a table. One member reported the button working after dropping it on the floor (no way I'd do that much).
    I suggested it to a friend and a karate chop right to the L button fixed his DS.

This problem has been around since the GBA and Nintendo still doesn't seem to have done much to fix it.

The blow trick and rubbing alcohol thing didn't work for my DS lite, I sent it to Nintendo and got a shiny new one.

Also: If it's a DS lite, be careful with the power and volume switches when putting your DS back together!

8. Shelleeson

Member Shelleeson GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  9. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    Just return it to nintendo, Us peeps in the UK get a 2 year warranty [​IMG]

10. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Many thanks again for the replies, the blow method definitely didn't work, I didn't try banging it but the DS is currently apart, there's two ends on the spring, and it seems like the one end has to go between two small white plastic holder things; no matter what I try, the metal bit just will not stay in the spring.

Thinking of just selling it on Ebay, the build quality of the DS Lite is absolutely shocking tbh.

Edit: The spring is like this

It just springs out all the time :/

11. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    -ignore-

12. Propionation

Newcomer Propionation Advanced Member

United States
    When you are saying the "metal bit" is not staying in the spring, is the "metal bit" the tiny rod that loosely holds the spring and the plastic shoulder button together that the plastic button pivots on when loosely attached to the console.

I really don't see how the spring shouldn't stay in place if you have all three pieces, unless the spring is on backwards. And the setup looks fine in your picture unless that isn't your ds. You first want to put the three pieces together then holding the metal rod and the plastic piece at the same time put the button and metal rod in the proper place. Then holding the rod and plastic shoulder button in one hand, gently push the spring so that it snaps in place between the two plastic spring holder connected to the handheld. Once you put the ds back together it shouldn't fall apart.

13. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay! I've fixed it, seems to be working fine now, but I'm sceptical about that spring. Reckon I should hold onto it, or sell it now while it's still working but make very clear I've had problems with it?

14. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Many thanks, that was actually what I was doing, and I was mimicking both the opposite side, as well as the setup in the picture above (you're right, it's not my DS btw!) and it kept jumping out, not sure why. Edit; No wait! It's not fixed, sigh [​IMG]

DS Lite Silver here I come

15. 1man1dream

Member 1man1dream GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have the same problem, I gave up and bought a new ds >.<

What puzzles me is why its for the right button but never the left, I mean is the spring under the left in a different position or something? cmon I need to drift in m kart [​IMG]

16. blizeH
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hehe, I actually got it wrong and it is my left one, so I guess it does effect both! [​IMG]

17. MartinAustin

Newcomer MartinAustin Advanced Member

United States
    Just tried the bang trick, didn't work. Tried it again, didn't work. Fortunately it's the left shoulder button for me, so I guess I'll just deal with mine.

Don't have the funds to get a new one.

18. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    [​IMG] You might come up with a few results under that search that you weren't expecting!