Hacking Ugh, trying to decide on a mod chip is infuriating

Howler Monkey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to get my Wii modded before Brawl comes out, but I just can't decide what to do. Some insight would be appreciated, because trying to decide which chip to use is incredibly frustrating.

I've narrowed it down to three options.

-Wiikey
-Wlip + Wiinja Deluxe
-Wlip + Cyclowiz

I haven't found any websites that sell Cyclowiz or Wiinja Deluxe in Australia, so I'd have to import if I went with one of them. I'd also have to import a Wlip, of course. The Wiikey is really the only easily accessible chip in Australia, it seems.

Anyway, here are the advantages and disadvantages for me with each chip from what I've gathered.

Wiikey

The Wiikey is easily found in Australia, as opposed to the other two, which are seemingly non existent. Plus the only installer I've found in Australia exclusively installs Wiikeys, and nothing else. I'd much rather have a professional mod my Wii. I REALLY don't want to pull apart my Wii and then put it back together. I'm really bad at that sort of thing. And don't even get me started on soldering. So the Wiikey seems like the easiest choice, because I can just pay a professional to do everything for me, I won't have to worry about a thing, and it'll be done before Brawl comes out. The same can not be said for the other two.

On the down side, the Wiikey website is down, and no one seems to know what's going on with them. I could end up with a support less chip, and I have no way of removing it from the Wii, because I can't do it myself, and I don't know anyone who can. Plus the chip might not even be able to play Brawl without a firmware update, and that firmware update may never come.

Wiinja Deluxe + Wlip

I haven't heard anything bad about this chip, but I really don't know much about it. It seems quite good judging by the drivechip comparison on this site's Wiki. It obviously still has support, which is good. So it's a safer choice over the Wiikey as far as support goes. Plus it slots into the Wlip with no soldering, which means it's easy to remove if need be. Unlike the Wiikey.

On the down side, as I previously mentioned, the only Australian installer installs Wiikeys and nothing else. I would have to pull my Wii apart and install the Wiinja Deluxe myself. Obviously with a Wlip, it won't be too bad, as I won't have to solder. But I'm really not confident in my ability to pull my Wii apart and put it back together without messing it up. I'd rather avoid that if I could. Plus, since I'd have to wait for the Wlip to come out, I would not have my Wii modded in time for Brawl. On top of that, I'd have to import.

Cyclowiz + Wlip

This chip seems to be quite popular. I'll never have to worry about a lack of support, because as far as I know, it's open source. It has the same advantages as the Wiinja, in that it slots into the Wlip without soldering, so it's easy to remove if need be.

It also has the same disadvantages as the Wiinja though. I'd need to install it myself, which I really don't want to do. And once again, I'd have to wait for the Wlip to come out, which means I wouldn't have my Wii modded in time for Brawl. I'd also have to get a bunch of annoying programming tools that I don't understand, and updating it seems like a pain. I really don't want to go through the hassle of using an open source chip, and it seems I'd have to import this one. But it does seem very popular, and it'll never lose it's support, so I'm considering it anyway.

In all honesty, I'd really rather just pay an installer to install a Wiikey for me and not have to worry about a thing. I'm really not confident in my ability to pull my Wii apart and install a chip myself, even with the Wlip. But with the Wiikey website being down for so long, it might not be the wisest choice. So I really can't decide what to do. Any insight is appreciated.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
These are the risks you take for installing a chip in your Wii, it may become useless in the future...

I'd recommend a Wiikey in you situation.

Otherwise get one of the other chips and find somebody who is willing to install it for you, there are plenty of people who will.

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country
Get a Wii key, purely for the fact you an get it installed locally and professionally. Doubt it'll cost much (mine was £40 UK installed), and even IF it becomes unsupported, theres plenty of games to trawl through for your £40 so you'll not do too badly... and then you can always install a different chip down the line if needed.

Certainly what I'd do rather than spend more on wlip and chip, wait for them to shipped, and then risk installing my chip myself.

Also, everyones going crazy about wlip - I would'nt be surprised if it fried a few wii's with short circuits.

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
OpenWii update via DVD?
ohmy.gif

If so, does it have all of the "essentials" features of a modchip?

And if it's positive for the first two, is there a place where I can get a pre-programmed OpenWii PIC?
wink.gif

EDIT: Last question: does it really fit on the Wlip?

If it's positive for all these questions, it really look like a cheaper Wiinja alternative to use with the Wlip for those who doesn't want to bother soldering and opening the console every time the chip need to be updated!
smile.gif

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I sell the wiikey, I know quite alot of installers I know one in Newcastle who can do wiifree and I gather any 12f629 based modchips.

I also have the 12f629 chips and a single programmer which I never got around to using if you are up to programming them yourself drop me a pm.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
OpenWii update via DVD?
ohmy.gif

If so, does it have all of the "essentials" features of a modchip?

And if it's positive for the first two, is there a place where I can get a pre-programmed OpenWii PIC?
wink.gif

EDIT: Last question: does it really fit on the Wlip?

If it's positive for all these questions, it really look like a cheaper Wiinja alternative to use with the Wlip for those who doesn't want to bother soldering and opening the console every time the chip need to be updated!
smile.gif

OpenWii supports DVD upgrade on the ATMEL AVR family of chips only (Not the 12F629 PICs). The AVRs do not fit into the wlip, but I don't get what you have against soldering onto the Wlip's wires.

It supports SMG (even on the 12F629 PICs), if that's what you mean...

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you have a non-d2c i'd get a cyclowiz at the moment to be honest.. with wiikey's website gone n all who knows when they'll be back if we need an update
smile.gif

gaboumafou

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
but I don't get what you have against soldering onto the Wlip's wires.
I don't have soldering material / don't know someone who can solder. If you have a mean of soldering, Wlip become more or less useless: why don't you just solder the chip directly? (yeah, I know it's "safer" by using the Wlip 'cause there's no risk of destroying your Wii, but still... total solderless would be far better.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm finally gonna get this NAS racked and powered on tonight, install truenas core, and burn the...