ugh, i need to go lead free

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Takrin, Mar 27, 2007.

Mar 27, 2007

ugh, i need to go lead free by Takrin at 9:47 AM (1,250 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Takrin
    OP

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    one day after soldering some stuff, i went to bed, and i kept waking up at night and smelled burning solder fumes... i usually exhale or try not to breathe in the fumes but sometimes you really cant help it. anyhow i've decided to convert to lead free, even though i live in USA. i often get headaches when soldering and insomnia not to mention sore throat. hehe i feel stupider (more stupid) also i've read solder/lead fumes may be one of the causes to alzheimer later on in life.

anyhow i've had really bad experience with lead free solders, usually they melt at higher temp and cool faster and sometimes solidify while soldering.

i've been looking for a good source to buy lead free solder, kester seems good anyone have any low temp mixtures? and if you can dont just give me SnAgCu, since that doesnt tell me much, i would really appreciate it if you gave me a % of a lead free, that is if you had a good experience with like SnAg3.0Cu0.5 also brand would be great too

i've also been looking for SnAg3.5Cu0.9 which i hear is eutectic but i cant find anywhere

my experiences so far was with
    Radioshack mix Sn94Ag4 or 94% tin, 4% silver
    MG Chemicals Sn99.3Cu0.7 or 99.3% tin 0.7% copper
    few other i've already tossed out and dont have anymore

also perhaps this post would help another person who solder often convert to lead free for health sake

2. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I'm probably the textbook example of how NOT to solder. Family friend of mine borrowed my solder stand so I got a metal plate and just laid the soldering iron on top of it. I do the soldering in my garage and it was cold so the door that would be open for ventilation is closed. Then after soldering, I was hungry and went in the kitchen for a pot of chocolate pudding without washing hands.

Yay for shortening lifespan.

That said, all the solder I use has no lead in it but I can still remember the first time I soldered and thinking how bad it smelt.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    For the record lead does not evaporate until you heat far hotter than your precision electronics soldering iron will be able to muster (I would probably have a hard time with an average blowtorch). What is more likely happening is the flux fumes which are equally not nice (and should be present in all the soldering jobs) or plastic fumes are giving you a headache. A simple facemask should help here.

As for alzheimer's there are also reports copper can cause autism in children so believing everything you read will lead you to worrying yourself something chronic, this being said lead really is not good for you.

I really do not get along with commercial lead free solder (some friends made some solder with rare elements once but you will not be able to buy any), commercially Sn, Sb, Cu, Ag (you might see it called CASTIN) are around and probably represent your best bet. It melts low (eutectic is just the name of a phenomenon in multi element mixtures) and flows reasonably well.

4. skullstatue

Banned skullstatue Banned

United States
    I never knew soldering was so dangerous? I do it all the time without wushimg hanz. It good. I say, just use lead solder and wear a bandanna over your mouth. Trust me, that will help out allot and you won't need to adjust to a knew type....

5. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Radioshack has Lead Free Solder [​IMG]

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...e%20solder&sr=1

6. Takrin
    OP

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yea those seem to be one of the better lead free i used, flowed little easier but still somewhat a pain to work with going to try and order some solder online, will post and tell you guys how it worked out.

7. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    ah, well here in LA, they are alot of Radio Shacks, and i figured since your in the US, you can find one too [​IMG]

8. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    My mom's over protective about anything that contains lead, so I have to use lead free. My Radio Shack doesn't have any. (Figures...)

So does lead-free work well enough? I wanna mod my Cube.

9. dragon574444

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I always use whatever solder is laying around, I've never given lead free solder a thought. Perhaps I oughta look into some though...