Ugh, alright. I cannot seem to get GBA VC games working on n3ds 10.7 emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by BossRoss93, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BossRoss93
    OP

BossRoss93 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    So I have Aureinand autobooting into a 10.7 emunand I set up on my n3ds. I installed the AGB Patched firm to the sysnand, and even went so far as to install my GBA games to both my sysnand and emunand. However, booting them gives me the "error has occured, please hold the power button" every single time. I have heard that I need to install the AGB firm to the emunand as well, but when trying to install to it via FBI, I get "error, invalid combination" even though I checked the emunand system titles for the agb firm, but it was not installed, so it wasn't an error of it not being installed.

I used rxtools on my o3ds, and it worked beautifully. I just want to be able to play my gba titles on my emunand. However, I was under the impression that gba vc and nds loading was labeled as "WIP" for rxtools on a n3ds.

I know a lot of you have dealt with this headache of a process, so perhaps might someone have some advice for me? I know how common these posts are, but searching and trying what I found has not helped thus far.

2. hyprskllz

hyprskllz Gashatto!!

Apr 19, 2016
    Indonesia
    Auldrant
    What aureinand version do you use?
    The latest aureinand is capable to patch agb firm on the fly.
    If you install the patch agb firm with the latest one, it might cause some conflict, cmiiw.
    Try with devmenu, i too had similar error with fbi, but it works using it

Last edited by hyprskllz, Apr 22, 2016
  3. XiaoDii

XiaoDii Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2016
    Switzerland
    why not play vc games in the sysnand?
    u can boot sysnand by holding L

4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I just messed with this same issue, and it sounds to me like the CFW is not paching it/they don't have it patched. I installed a patched AGB_FIRM to my sysNAND and emuNAND while I was still on Rei before upgrading to AuRei and have no problems with it working. If someone is paranoid enough, back up emuNAND and then install the patched firmware, but I'd be willing to wager that as soon as the OP installs it to emuNAND (considering they've done everything else right by the looks of it) the problem will go away.

As far as the issue of getting FBI to actually install the dang firmware, I didn't have that problem. It was DevMenu/BigBlueMenu that wouldn't do it for me, whereas FBI worked. I guess make sure you're using a newer *hax version (at least 2.6 maybe?) and also ensure your FBI is a new version as well.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox, Apr 22, 2016
  5. hyprskllz

hyprskllz Gashatto!!

Apr 19, 2016
    Indonesia
    Auldrant
    That could also be the reason, but OP's already installed the patched one, but it still doesn't work.
    The other day, i have the exact same issue while booting some gba game, with error message and told me to restart.
    The next day, it worked without any issue at all, and i haven't touched anything.
    Wait a minute, i still have 2.5 *hax with the lastest fbi (i think). Maybe it is indeed caused by *hax?

6. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    It looks like, at least according to the post, the OP only installed the patched AGB_FIRM to sysNAND, not to it and emuNAND. As you implied, the patched firmware needs to be on both NANDs with that setup.

As far as how *hax works, I'll freely admit that I'm not versed in the technical bits of it, I just ask questions and learn how to run it. But, based on what I do know (and someone knowledgable is more than welcome to correct me on this if I bork the explanation), the *hax basically is what allows a CFW or other tool like miniPasta or rxTools to patch the NAND, the *hax is merely a way in. But, newer versions of *hax allow for more things to be tampered with and provide more a more stable environment (that last part is based on my experience with me staying on 1.1b forever like a moron). So, yeah, updating your *hax payloads and the *hax methods themselves are usually good things to do, since it allows you to take advantage of the latest and greatest where CFW and homebrew/utilities are concerned.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox, Apr 22, 2016
  7. Dracari

Dracari GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    even when you get it workin. and you see yourself thrown to SysNand, dont freak its how AuReiNand handles it to prevent Save lost. (despite i'm on A9LH, i had the issue till i restored the stock TWL_FIRM & AGB_FIRM and grabed 5.1.2 of AuReiNand) one person mentioned in the AuReiNand thread, that thier issue wasnt solved till they re-did thier SD Card.

8. BossRoss93
    OP

BossRoss93 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    Hey everyone, thanks for your posts. I seriously love this 3ds forum, you guys and gals are so helpful. I am at work but will take a deeper look at your suggestions when I am off, and update with any progress I make.