Ubuntu vs Lubuntu, DS vs iPod, and Android

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, very misleading title, first of all, I'd just gotten ubuntu on my laptop for the first time on 10/10/10, but a few days ago I tried to install the lubuntu desktop just to try it out, but it completely F'ed up my laptop, so just today I got around to fixing it by completely reinstalling ubuntu after formatting the partition... so now I have an eternal hatred and fear of Lubuntu, that unofficial lightweight desktop of death.

And now to my main point, which really pisses me off. This is basically about status symbols, as I'm in high school, and being seen with a DS just makes you an insta-nerd. iPods on the other hand, especially iPod touches, are completely mainstream and cool. It pisses me off so much, especially the people that think they are elite hackers because they jailbroke their iPod -.-. I wouldn't even dare bring out my DS (which they call jailbroken because that's the only term they know) because that would just make me look like a complete idiot, it's as if the DS is seen as for children and iPod touches are the thing for teens.

I can't wait til February when I get a phone upgrade, I'll get an android phone and root it,(btw does anyone know a good site/community/forum for rooting android phones and android in general?) It will be so awesome because it will be something that I won't actually be embarrassed to use in public. The only place I can really find where I feel comfortable using my DS is in the car, and the only other situation being when I have my DS closed in my pocket, listening to music, pretending I have an iPod. Stupid overpriced status symbols
glare.gif

PS. I hope HTC makes a phone with a super amoled screen, I want to show that off to all the stupid iPhone mofos.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whenever I bring out my DS (which is never, now a days), I feel like I should be embarrassed but for some reason, it always seems to bring out the kid in everyone around me. Like, they wouldn't take it seriously as a game console, but if it's there, they always want to play it. People used to find it weird that I took gaming on my DS seriously which kinda annoyed me though.

But I agree, I hate people who think that either think they're hackers because they jailbroke their iPod or think that iPods and iPhones are by DEFAULT better than everything else and that you're cheap if you go for any alternative. I don't hate iPods or iPhones but for some reason people just can't accept the fact that I like Android phones better.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using a DS at school makes you look like a nerd over here as well.
But i'd rather be an entertained nerd then a bored moron like all those people with their iCrap.
Lowering the quality of my school life just so people think more of me would have been incredibly petty.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Good community for rooting and Tweaks/Hacks for your phone is XDA-Developers.com
They helped my choose my phone, the HD2 and it's a lot better that the TG01 I was going to get even though I had to wait aa lot longer to get it. (Yeah I know they are boh WinMo phones but the HD2 has fully working Android and WP7 is in the making for it. TG01 doesn't have 'droid but it's in development)
Some phones even have Apps to overclock them, like mine.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Over here,a DS is look down upon
frown.gif
.iPods and PSP's are elite though
tongue.gif

They think it's for kids,but they keep forgetting
1.PSP is for kids too(technically)
2.iPhone/Touch isn't even a mainstream gaming system.

Although all three are great in their own way :yaygames:

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I used my DS in school. Nobody cared, that being, everyone in my year was all friends (There still was 'the groups' (I was in a 'group') but we all got along).

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
using a DS in my school, results in being bullied. Really bad, that is. That's why I never take my DSi to school. Everybody's got Iphones or Itouches. I'm going HTC now, nobody's got those. PSP is ok, but people still don't like it, and think you're childish.

Even if you have a little, basic mobile phone, you get bullied these days. I've got little phone which is a bit above basic (2MP camera, MP3 etc.) and people still dislike it and think it's weird. But if you show off with an iphone, then you're the man. Unless you do it to often, then people will start to hate you.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You're pretty weak if you can't resist people saying "teehee, nerd" when they see you playing your DS, and you have to hide it to gain some more confidence.

Also, you call an OS bad because you failed at using it?
huh.gif

tl;dr: you're saying things suck because you can't use them in the correct way. Derp.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
You're pretty weak if you can't resist people saying "teehee, nerd" when they see you playing your DS, and you have to hide it to gain some more confidence.

Also, you call an OS bad because you failed at using it?
huh.gif

tl;dr: you're saying things suck because you can't use them in the correct way. Derp.
I never even got to try lubuntu because it completely screwed up my log-in screen, I tried a lot of crap, but nothing worked, it was just frustrating. I might try it again once it becomes officially supported... no I don't want tips.

It's not just people saying teehee, nerd, it's the awkwardness associated with even having it out and letting people see it, it's like you're playing a little child's toy (which, btw, my busdriver's kid does have a DS). It's definitely not as much of a problem on the bus though, because I can hide it, and I don't even hang out with anyone on my bus.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty cool in my school with my friend and brother for being the only people with a ds and a flashcart .

Plus i think Ubuntu is better than Lubuntu.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember being on the tube where there was a child and an elderly woman both playing their DS. I thought to myself, "it really is the universal handheld console."

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd also say XDA Developers.

Googling around can help, but there's some good information over there that can help you too.

I don't have an account over there though, or at least not yet. (My father does, however.)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably one of those odd hipster trends but nowadays the "cool" thing is to identify yourself as a hipster or trendy or something of the sorts and play Pokemon. Just wear your typical Hot Topic employee outfit, whip out a DS Lite with Pokemon in it and you're just so funny and trendy.

I guess at this point in my schooling I stopped caring what people think. I openly admit to being a huge Trekkie and Magic the Gathering player and I'll occasionally bring my DS in on a slow day and play something silly. No one ever bugs me about it.

I need a new phone though. I don't care if my phone looks like crap but my phone is just ancient. Really old. I could use something that works actually and even a better phone plan. My mom stuck me on pay-as-you-go so I can't go insane with texting or talk and she's pretty adamant on staying on that plan. I may ask my dad one day and see if I can go on his.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no experience with Linux, so I have nothing to say about that comparison.

As for the second one, the DS is not a phone, and the other two are not gaming devices. So the DS wins.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
LXDE is a broken POS for people who need to buy new computers.

GNOME > Xfce > KDE > getting teeth pulled > LDXE

also the DS is best for games and Android for a customizable/practical mobile device. iOS4 is an extremely slow battery sucker on anything other than the very newest model

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @ZeroT21, not yet