Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Grabbed the 11.04b CD of Ubuntu to try out Unity, but it doesn't seem to run on VMWare (Player v3.1.4) or Virtual Box (4.0.6) with the 3D Acceleration option ticked. When available, I max out the available video RAM for my card, I think it caps out at 128MB and my card is an EVGA 9800GT with 512MB.
Anyone know if there's some advanced settings or option I need to change to get it working?

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not just you.

Even on my Macbook from 2008, Unity will not run on Virtualbox, no matter how many resources I allocate to it.

I have

CPU: Intel Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
GPU: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 03)
RAM: 4GB
SWAP: 8GB (Double the amount of RAM)
TMP PARTITION: 18GB

If you ask me, it's the most useless interface in existance anyway.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PoweredByTux said:
So I've heard... but I'd like to try it myself...
From the looks of it, it seems a lot like the 7 taskbar or a Dock...which is actually something I'd like to try out.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
PoweredByTux said:
So I've heard... but I'd like to try it myself...
From the looks of it, it seems a lot like the 7 taskbar or a Dock...which is actually something I'd like to try out.
I kinda like Unity on my netbook. But it's still new so it is a little slow.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hate to bump, but...
I finally got it working after following this guide: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/how-to-test...h-unity-in.html

And I must say.... I am THOROUGHLY unimpressed. It's like the bastard child of a gimped of Windows 7's and OSX's taskbar.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was configurable (Isn't open source supposed to be all about the configurability?), but according to Shuttleworth it's flawed (my word, not his) by design (his words, not mine): https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/675119

I didn't want to agree with the original bug reporter's comment about "unity [..] ha no future, iPad and Android-based tablets will wipe them out soon", but after using it... gotta say I agree.
This combined with their moving the min/max/close buttons to the left side makes me think they're just trying to stand out and look "unique", rather than working on usability.
Again, more heartbreak as I continue trying to use Linux.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
This combined with their moving the min/max/close buttons to the left side makes me think they're just trying to stand out and look "unique", rather than working on usability.
There are very simple apps and themes that change the buttons back to the right side.

D

Deleted User

Fishaman P said:
twiztidsinz said:
There are very simple apps and themes that change the buttons back to the right side.

Could you list a few please? (assuming they work in 11.04)(?)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fishaman P said:
twiztidsinz said:

Still, it's a rather stupid idea.
The majority of the people are right handed and favor the right side. By moving things to the left, you're making it feel awkward for the majority and it's a step backwards in usability. It's stupid on OSX and it's stupid on Linux.

QUOTE(I2aven's_Sage @ Apr 29 2011, 04:20 PM)
As far as I know, nearly ALL themes but the default.
I'm not sure what actually makes the buttons go to the left side, but I know you can go to Customize on any theme and select all of the same options as the default and NOT have the buttons on the left.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
I2aven's_Sage said:
Fishaman P said:
twiztidsinz said:

Dude, just get a theme. Google is your friend.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still say Openbox with a combination of your usual applications is still the best.

Gnome3 and gnome-shell are actually pretty snappy as well, but unline Unity, they force Pulseaudio down your throat, and dont even get me started on the number of problems that causes me in Arch Linux.

Ubuntu 11.04 is out now, so it "should" be "theoretically" safe to use.

Both of them IMO are a valuable waste of screen real-estate.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ubuntu is definately going in a good direction with that last release. I did try it this morning and the interface seem more intuitive than the previous version. Its a bit less finished tough I think people should wait for the next release it should come pretty quick.
I am a Windows user(that strongly think about switching) and this is my impression.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse