Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed soundtrack torrented?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Ubisoft has told Eurogamer it is "currently investigating" the matter.

ORIGINAL STORY: Ubisoft has been accused of downloading a torrented version of its own Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood soundtrack and then re-selling it as part of the Digital Deluxe Edition of the game on PC.

The evidence comes from a user on Reddit, who noticed that the Digital Deluxe Edition soundtrack was encoded by "arsa13" - the same alias linked to illegal rips of the Collector's Edition soundtrack.

This poses a delicious question: is Ubisoft now guilty of piracy?

We've asked the publisher for an explanation.

The Digital Deluxe Edition of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood arrives tomorrow. Included are two exclusive single-player maps; two multiplayer characters; one Ezio skin; a codex written by Altair (hero of Assassin's Creed 1); themed trading cards; map of Rome; a film documenting the lineage of AC; a Making Of documentary and - yes - the game's soundtrack.
[/p]

Source

I lul'd a bit. I guess it's easier than them ripping the music themselves.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's messed up.

If they liked the soundtrack that much, they could have just tried to buy it.

Edit:

Wait. I read it wrong because I'm doing like 30 things at once. No, I take that back. That's just stupid.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl.gif

Oh the irony.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
purechaos996 said:
Can you even pirate from yourself? I mean wouldn't that just be sort of....what? I don't even know anymore.
I guess it would be the same if a music artist pirated his own songs

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
This seems similar to a story I read about, a band leaked their own CD on torrents and told fans to pirate it then burn the files onto a Blank CD that the band released. LOL.

Twilight Loz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont rally see ubisoft being in trouble because they own assassins creed. So its like me making a game, selling the game for free and then pirating it so that I can obtain it o_0

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
This seems similar to a story I read about, a band leaked their own CD on torrents and told fans to pirate it then burn the files onto a Blank CD that the band released. LOL.
Maybe it's the same thing, maybe it's different...
But I do recall that there was an incident where a band got screwed over by their record label (wasn't getting paid?) and ALLEGEDLY leaked their own album, but didn't encourage downloading it or burning it (my guess is for legal reasons).

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
purechaos996 said:
Can you even pirate from yourself? I mean wouldn't that just be sort of....what? I don't even know anymore.

I don't think I explained this very well so I'll give it another shot:

US copyright is about control. When you retain the rights to a work, you get to control the means of duplication and distribution. So long as you're not stepping on any other US laws in the process, you're free to dictate any terms in forming a contract with other parties in using or applying the work.

By definition you cannot retain the rights to a work and be guilty of pirating it because you're exempt from any of the terms to which the rest of us are beholden. Ubisoft is free to dictate the rest of us cannot backup a game (even for 'archival' purposes) but they retain the right to do so any time they want. They can distribute, duplicate, rent, sell, lease, etc the work any way they want.

If this article is true it certainly exposes a hypocrisy, but hypocrisy has absolutely no bearing on Ubisoft's copyrights or legal protection.

D

Deleted User

Splych said:
well it is their own product . . .
BUt charging people extra is bad enough . the least they could've done is to give credit .
My personal opinion- a load of crap. Ubisoft, reach into your backside and pull out the CD. It's quicker than downloading. Just walk to the CD stand and pull out the CD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb