ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sound the alarm! Nintendo's newest console is dying wiiu wiiu wiiu wiiu wiiu
Lol ambulance noises.

Didn't it sell ~460k copies? Wouldn't that make the attach rate about 1:7?
Even if the attach rate is good it does not make the game profitable.
If the game cost the equivalent of 750k copies to make and market and it can't get more than 750k copies sold it's still going to be unprofitable.

Or atleast that makes sense to me. I'm not sure if it actually works that way.

PS4 is NOT backwards compatible with PS3...

The last of us is MUCH more action based than Zombi U - it had tons of action sequences...

PS4 is backwards compatible through online streaming so it's possible he'll play the game through that.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) for the Wii sold 9.8M, it was the 10th best selling game for the Wii. Mario Kart Wii sold 33.8M, that's about a 1:3 ratio, that's not bad at all. If the third party can make a good game for Nintendo then consumers will buy it. EA's best game for the Wii came in at 28th place, :wtf: . Plain and simple, EA did not release good games for the Wii. Most of what they released for the Wii U were ports that a lot of people already had for other consoles. There aren't 70 or 80 million Wii U's on the market, games for the Wii U just aint going to sell like they do for the PS3/360. does that mean that the third party developers should just give up on making games for Wii U?

Reactions: Ray Lewis

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
True. There is only so much a new Mario or a Wind Waker remake can do. They need to step up their marketing machine NOW, not on Christmas, not next year, NOW! As for third parties, I agree, don't release half assed ports of two year old games, if you port an old game, make it right like criterion or beenox - give me a reason to buy this game again/in the first place if the original didn't interest me.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) for the Wii sold 9.8M, it was the 10th best selling game for the Wii. Mario Kart Wii sold 33.8M, that's about a 1:3 ratio, that's not bad at all. If the third party can make a good game for Nintendo then consumers will buy it. EA's best game for the Wii came in at 28th place, :wtf: . Plain and simple, EA did not release good games for the Wii. Most of what they released for the Wii U were ports that a lot of people already had for other consoles. There aren't 70 or 80 million Wii U's on the market, games for the Wii U just aint going to sell like they do for the PS3/360.
EA released little worth buying for the Wii because what EA makes primarily is not what sold on the Wii. Wii owners didn't want sports games, action games, or shooters. There went pretty much what the entirety of EA makes. EA is a huge third party, but the Wii managed to create a substantial user base that widely couldn't give two shits about what EA put on the console. On the other hand, Ubisoft was willing to make a game that appealed to the exact crowd the Wii sold to (the casual Just Dance series) in order to get a good selling game on the Wii. Obviously, EA wasn't willing to take the risk when casual isn't their strong suit.

By the way, fun to see: Even taking inaccuracies into account, the top 10 would still be nearly all first party titles. Yeah, maybe you could see why third parties decided the Wii wasn't really worthwhile. When you have to create three installments of a series that primarily appeals to Wii owners just to crack the top 10 when Nintendo can shit out a Mario Kart and make number 1, it doesn't scream at third parties "give it your best shot and you'll do great".

As for the Wii U, after the Wii, you should be surprised that what they put on there were passable ports with gamepad functionality. To be entirely blunt, Nintendo has been on poor terms with third parties for a long time now. Over a decade long time. Third parties rarely are willing to give their all on a Nintendo console because they know that no matter what they make, it will not sell like a Nintendo first party title. Not a chance in hell, especially when it's games that have been out for at least a couple of years already.

Edit: Assuming VGChartz is accurate, in the top 20 Wii games sold every single game that wasn't a Nintendo game (15 of the 20, by the way) was a Just Dance title or that Zumba game that likely just made it where it is because it had the word "Fitness" in the title. Yeah. Not surprising that third parties might have stayed as far away from the Wii as possible when your only chance of selling really well was to make a dancing game.

Reactions: Gahars and VMM

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sports controls using the wii mote and knuck were a joke! They were horrible. If you wanted madden or any other major sports title, you stayed away from the wii versions because of the shitty controls.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just Dance 3 (Ubisoft) for the Wii sold 9.8M, it was the 10th best selling game for the Wii. Mario Kart Wii sold 33.8M, that's about a 1:3 ratio, that's not bad at all. If the third party can make a good game for Nintendo then consumers will buy it. EA's best game for the Wii came in at 28th place, :wtf: . Plain and simple, EA did not release good games for the Wii. Most of what they released for the Wii U were ports that a lot of people already had for other consoles. There aren't 70 or 80 million Wii U's on the market, games for the Wii U just aint going to sell like they do for the PS3/360. does that mean that the third party developers should just give up on making games for Wii U?

All third parties should make dance games.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubisoft cracked the top 20 on the Wii four times with them. Fool proof, I think.

Ubisoft found something that worked, why couldn't EA?

EA is a game maker, that's how they make their money, I find it hard to believe they couldn't make a cheezy game that the kids wanted. Instead they released bad ports of sports games.

I liked EA games, on the Sega Genesis, but couldn't find a good one for the Wii.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ubisoft found something that worked, why couldn't EA?

EA is a game maker, that's how they make their money, I find it hard to believe they couldn't make a cheezy game that the kids wanted. Instead they released bad ports of sports games.
Because EA has a lot that works fantastically on other consoles, and it wasn't worthwhile to go out of their way to appeal to the horribly specific Wii crowd. Few developers are going to break their back bending backwards to appeal to a crowd that wants dancing games more than any other game type on the market.

Look at it this way: as a game developer, would you go out of your way to make a game type you would never bother with otherwise on the off chance that it just might be what the owners of this system want, with the knowledge that you will only sell up to 10 million copies if you are really, really lucky and strike gold? The answer from an intelligent perspective is "no". You would not take that risk because the chances are far too high that you won't even make your investment back, much less profit.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's what happens when you develop for WiiU.
If Ubisoft made the title a multiplat, and (naturally) changed it's name, it may have sold more.
Now, there is not much they can do, maybe marketing their game a bit more, but I doubt they will still have decent sales.

WiiU failed in pleasing casual gamers, their main gimmick is gone with WiiU gamepad, that is the motion controller.
WiiU also failed to please hardcore gamers, that already have almost every multiplat for WiiU on theirs X360 or PS3.

Many customers do not even know what WiiU is, many still believe it's a new Wii model or an tablet accessory for Wii.

PS4 will cost just $50 more, and will have far superior hardware specs.

Now it's time for Nintendo to step up with strong marketing and a price drop.
If Nintendo sell it for $300 or less, with a decent market, it may have a chance of success,
but if it keep going that way, it will be the new Dreamcast.

If Nintendo waits until Christmas for marketing WiiU then people will instead be buying PS4 or X1, and WiiU will sell poorly.
Right now there isn't any new console on the market, it's time for Nintendo to start advertising.
Maybe then people will start buying or saving money to buy it on holiday season.

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
It`s Ubisoft's fault. They could make a better game.
I like survival horror, but after reading the reviews and playing the demo I didn't want to buy it.
I think that the game is even a reason that the Wii U sold bad and had a bad reputation right from the start. There is a new console and the only exclusive for the mature audience looks like a PS2/Wii game. This is not very appealing to many people.

The delay of rayman because of zombi u is stupid. I am sure that rayman would have been sold better than zombi u and there was no problem making money with rayman on other platforms later this year.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.