OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The French publisher Ubisoft studio to start a different game franchises of the company to be processed into films or television series. It is not known when Ubisoft Motion Pictures to produce his first productions

The new film and television studios of Ubisoft will be launched in Paris, led by Jean-Julien Baronnet, the former director of europe corp. Producer Didier Lupfer leads the development and production, Jean de Rivieres, which comes from Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures France, is responsible for marketing and international sales, reports Variety.

Ubisoft, with titles like Assassin's Creed and Tom Clancy games, a diverse number of potentially worthy movie franchises, is no newcomer to the film world. Previously, the game publisher already working with Jerry Bruckheimer to the Prince of Persia franchise to bring to the screen. Hollywood actor Jake Gyllenhaal starred in that movie that worldwide about 335 million U.S. dollars has been spent.

Ubisoft has also produced an animated film of Assassin's Creed, the story of Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood linked. Previously used the editor a short live-action movie Assassin's Creed 2 procedure. Ubisoft also worked closely with James Cameron's team in developing the video game 3D movie Avatar.

Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I hope they make a Beyond Good And Evil movie
ohmy.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Veho said:
I hope they make a Beyond Good And Evil movie
ohmy.gif
Man, I`d much rather see the second game getting made and released... Let`s hope for E3!

I personally thought the PoP movie was really great for a game-based movie, since it was faithful to the material from the games but took some needed liberties to make it into a film worth watching.

So if they get the right people to do it why not!

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
(Not necessarily made by Ubisoft)

GTA movie: Shoot, shoot, kill, rob, speeding around in cars

CoD movie: Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, die

Pokémon movie: do I really need to say it?

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Are they going to contact Uwe Boll soon?

No seriously, this sounds horrible. Video game to movies = Failure most of the time. Probably the only good Video game movies ever made are FF: Spirits Within and FFVII: Advent Children, and both are decent at best. Prince of Persia? It was working with decent source material however the plot translated into a movie... didn't translate well. I mean, sure it had okay effects and all, but that's basically all that it has going for it along with the game's fanbase.

This is going to blow. I can feel it. Video games movies normally cash in on the loyal fanbase and the noteworthy special effects to attract money. It's possible to make something that's actually good, except no one tries to do it.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't mind watching an Assassin's Creed movie. It has potential, it could turn out to be good if Ubisoft doesn't screw up.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
lineage was quite good but what is this animated movie they are talking about? animated cuz no one can do what ezio does lol. Hats off to the PoP actor with a very nice storyline.
ubi seems to be very successful these days and it seems even their movies (while the stereotype that movie-based games are lame) are also being successful.
the animated movie's name is ascendence but its quite basic (made by ubi workshop) with less animation and focusing on storyline.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
Are they going to contact Uwe Boll soon?

No seriously, this sounds horrible. Video game to movies = Failure most of the time. Probably the only good Video game movies ever made are FF: Spirits Within and FFVII: Advent Children, and both are decent at best. Prince of Persia? It was working with decent source material however the plot translated into a movie... didn't translate well. I mean, sure it had okay effects and all, but that's basically all that it has going for it along with the game's fanbase.

This is going to blow. I can feel it. Video games movies normally cash in on the loyal fanbase and the noteworthy special effects to attract money. It's possible to make something that's actually good, except no one tries to do it.
Oh, don't be that pessimistic. The noticeable difference this time around is that it's Ubisoft themselves that's doing the films, not others. Assassin's Creed 2 had some good story-telling and I already have the impression that they will do brilliantly. I'm hoping for an animated movie but whatever, I'll support them. I liked the AC series and most game-to-movie translations were shitty because the game devs weren't even involved (little to none)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Video game movies are usually bad even though the concept behind them is good.

This is because movie makers are *not* gamers.

A movie studio will be unable to grasp the concept behind the thing they're working on as long as the crew themselves don't really know what they're dealing with. If you're making a movie, you make one from a script. In this case, a script is not all it takes, since alot of attention in video games is focused on the background. The visuals and the art style have a large influence on the product. If you just take the game's script and film it, you're inevitably going to film a *turd*.

Games have a specific method of storytelling that's unique to them, in the sense that the story is usually bland and crap. A movie requires a deep and highly developed storyline, while a video game has the uncanny ability of masking its shortcommings with interactivity... however!

Video game storytelling is vastly superior than movie storytelling, simply because there's a virtually unlimited potential of story development. It hasn't been used well in most games though, since studios prefere their product to sell instead of presenting something meaningful. Unlike in a movie or a book (not counting Make your own Adventure books or Audience Response System movies) an atmosphere of a video game is also built on its interactivity. A character is rarely percieved as one-faced in a video game, like it is in other mediums.

Video game characters are percieved differently by every gamer, since it is you who controls the vast majority of their moves.

I actually made a presentation about these issues and about storytelling in video games at university, so I'm quite into the subject.

Another reason to be worried about this is that it's UBISOFT who's making it. They're known for their ability to turn everything they touch to shovelware or a sandbox game, almost like Midas turned everything he touched into gold.

I have a bad feeling about this. Let *someone else* handle it for them.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Games have a specific method of storytelling that's unique to them, in the sense that the story is usually bland and crap. A movie requires a deep and highly developed storyline, while a video game has the uncanny ability of masking its shortcommings with interactivity... however!

Video game storytelling is vastly superior than movie storytelling, simply because there's a virtually unlimited potential of story development. It hasn't been used well in most games though, since studios prefere their product to sell instead of presenting something meaningful. Unlike in a movie or a book (not counting Make your own Adventure books or Audience Response System movies) an atmosphere of a video game is also built on its interactivity. A character is rarely percieved as one-faced in a video game, like it is in other mediums.

Definitely don't agree. While Video game storytelling has interactivity going for it, the linear experience of a movie creates an image of what the artist crafted and intended to tell. Video Games have difficulty doing that since instead of just seeing the game, the player must "control" what happens and thus creates a difficulty to tell what the story was imagined to be.

Another problem I see is the fact that video games make it difficult for the person who experiences it to immerse himself in it. I feel that video games create too many unnecessary distractions for you to really experience the story completely. And a lot of times the story isn't even worth experiencing. Games have a LOT of elements and thus, the story may get lost in the gameplay.

That isn't to say that video games haven't achieved a high level of storytelling. I found that the game "Shadow of the Colossus" was able to immerse me quite well. If they turn THAT into a movie, well, that's something I'd like to see. If it was made by a decent professional director of course.

As for this again, I'm very, very sure that UBISOFT making a movie is going to burn up in flames, critical-wise. Please, hire a decent director and scriptwriter. I beg of you.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I thought the Silent Hill movie was pretty good.
3D Sequel coming next year too: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938330/

Ubisoft hmn... probably only like to see Assassin's Creed.
Splinter Cell and other Tom Clany stuff we've seen it all before with the likes of Bond, Bourne etc. it would have to be really epic to make me interested, even more so to actually go to the cinema to see it.

Lol I just remembered that we saw Silent Hill at the cinema and it scared the crap out of my misses, specially P-Head and she knew nothing of the game series.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Thug4L1f3 said:
I thought the Silent Hill movie was pretty good.

Aaaah. Silent Hill. I still remember watching that. I used to like it. I was 9 or 10 then. Now when I look at it, I noticed that it had a fantastic atmosphere that manages to conceal it's sub-par story enough to provide decent entertainment. It's okay for what it was.

3D? Video Game Movie? Silent Hill? Might be pretty to look at.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1