Ubisoft: No Ghost Recon on PC Due to 95% Piracy Rate

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Nov 24, 2011.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom

Is it Thanksgiving or Groundhog day? I could have sworn it was yesterday that news emerged of a Ubisoft title not being released on PC, with anguished claims about rampant piracy being blamed. Now it’s the turn of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and although the quotes given to PC Gamer don’t actually accuse us all of ‘bitching’, they do paint an unpleasant view of the PC gaming landscape. We’re told that Ghost Recon Online is the PC’s alternative to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

‘Why’, you ask? Senior producer Sebastien Arnoult has the answers. Or at least, some answers. “When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95 per cent of our consumers will pirate the game.” Sigh.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/11/24/piracy-stops-ghost-recon-future-soldier-pc/

LOL

2. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Make the game worth the money then.

10 people like this.
  3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Did you know 68% of statistics are made up?

13 people like this.
  4. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    when the employ stupid arse drm its not hard to relise why people are dodging there pc games

1 person likes this.
  5. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    Ubisoft thinks that their company sucks so bad that only 5% of the people will buy their games and support them...?

I TOTALLY AGREE.

11 people like this.
  6. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Bullshit. They just didn't see millions in profit so they abandoned it.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    This gets better and better? Last time Ubisoft showed their "statistics", it was 90%.

Truth to be told, a PC game requires more optimization than a console one due to the fact that it has to be operational on different builds - it needs level-of-detail selection which often leads to multiple models/textures for the same character and other peculiarities that make game development more prolonged. By making only console versions, you save time and money.

They didn't have to lie though, they should just say "we're switching to consoles" and shut up. 95% my ass.

2 people like this.
  8. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    WOW That's fucking lazy to blame piracy. Lots of people will actually buy the game after they pirate it if it's good enough. I pirated Starcraft, Half Life 2 and Portal. I ended buying them all because the are actually quality games IMO.

9. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    i guess console master race strikes again

10. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Whatever happened to that government bill about the U.S. being able to censor certain websites/content? Even though Ubisoft is based in France, I have the sneaky suspicion that this "it's all because of piracy" attitude may be due to the involvement of that bill, and the high possibility of it not passing. The bill itself exists because of the movie industry's idea of piracy in the first place.

11. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    [​IMG]

Seriously, shit games u.u

3 people like this.
  12. Jehuty25

Member Jehuty25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only solution is to make a game that is worth buying.

13. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    PC games sell poorly...
    [​IMG]
    ...unless they're actually interesting
    It's called "elaborate taste", Ubi.

EDIT: Just as a fun fact, Skyrim sold more copies in the 1st week than Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood in 10.

14. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    They make it sound worse than it is. Piracy still isn't right... but there are tons of games I download, but would never buy. They act like every download for the game is lost money, when those people probably would not buy the game any way.

Also, a lot of games I have bought, and downloaded (For early releases or just convenience). I would technically go towards that 95% still, even though I paid for it.

But the real solution is to make good games... then you'll get sales.

15. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    lol yeah ...

well i for one am not interested in ghost recon at all but hearing things like not released due to piracy ....

i preodered Anno 2070 which definietly is a good game but i am so completely pissed at the "you need to be online to use most features" and that fugly ubisoft launcher which both annyed me with the latest Settlers game already makes me think if i should really get any more ubisoft games legaly .... soooooo annoying -.-V

some days ago the servers were not available or whatever think what ? all saved data was stored online it seems so i either had to start the "single player" campaign from zero or do a endless game like i did -.-V even thaught i wanted to complete the campaign before to "learn" how to play properly cuz even thaught i loved all Anno games i more or less sucked at'em XD

well yeah Ubisoft really is bad and their ideas of copy protection is the worst.

16. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    honestly I really only pirate cause I just wanna play the game. I consider it free renting, or borrowing if you will. Unless the game has good multiplayer that I would play for a long time then I would buy it. If not I torrent, beat the campaign, then uninstall and delete.

17. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    I bought Advanced Warfighter, didn't like it at all.

18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Two things.

1. We've got better things to play than Ghost Recon.
    2. PC gamers did say they would boycott Ubisoft titles because of DRM.

Their DRM did nothing to piracy whatsoever, most of their games were cracked straight away so those who did buy their games were still had to put up with that crap for no reason.

1 person likes this.
  19. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    But didn't PC sales make up only about 15% of sales of the game? And if it wasn't available on PC, how many of those 15% would have bought it on console, rather than not at all?

EDIT: Source - this is only sales for the first two days, but anyway

http://www.dailytech...rticle23293.htm

Pointing out that this years most well received and epic PC title has managed a whole 500,000 sales isn't really selling the PC as a platform when stuff like Kinect Sports and Dance Central routinely notch up 3 million and less mundane titles like Gears of War 3 can sell that many in its first week.

20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I could maybe see their reasoning on a single player game but on a multiplayer game? C'mon...

1 person likes this.