Ubisoft: New Xbox and PlayStation Are Coming Soon

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by luke_c, Jul 20, 2011.

Jul 20, 2011
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot believes that the Wii U's 2012 release will push Sony and Microsoft to launch their next-generation consoles earlier than they hoped for. Here's what he had to say:

"I think the Wii U is sending the message that the new transition is going to happen - and we're going to have new machines coming soon."

He also mentioned about how Ubisoft will continue to start early development on titles for new systems:

"We're going to continue to take this approach," he said. "We feel this console is coming with very innovative features that will change the video game industry and we want to be a part of that."[/p]
    [​IMG] Source

2. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    the wii U is just nintendo trying too get back into the game with a console that is just above 360 and ps3 graphically, I doubt microsoft is worried they have their new major update for the 360 and their all kinect so..
    as for sony I could see them release a console as they screwed by trying to be too new and making a system that was too different from the 360 in the way it works. Though releasing any kind console would most likely be financial suicide after losing alot of money from the whole hacking fiasco

3. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Ubisoft CEO doesn't mention new Xbox and Playstation consoles at all.

"I think the Wii U is sending the message that the new transition is going to happen - and we're going to have new machines coming soon."
    He talks about new Wii U dev units.

"We're going to continue to take this approach," he said. "We feel this console is coming with very innovative features that will change the video game industry and we want to be a part of that."
    Obviously he is talking about the Wii U here.

So where does he talk about Xbox and Playstation successors?

4. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    New machines implies new Sony/Microsoft consoles, why would it imply Wii U dev kits, he then goes on to say how they will continue with their approach of developing games for upcoming systems early, which further adds to the implication that he was earlier talking about new Microsoft/Sony consoles.
    This is the general consensus around various gaming news sites.

5. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    He says that he thinks that they may have to. It is nothing but another opinion that isn't all that front page worthy, imo. When so many others have said the same thing, I don't exactly find it news worthy when somebody from a big company says it next.

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nintendo had said during E3 that the Wii U dev kits weren't finalized, so I don't see why that couldn't be the "new machines" that Ubisoft is talking about. It's no surprise that statements like these are easily taken out of context.

7. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    crap now must i buy a ps4 -_-
    Lets work a little harder

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    its true lol as coolness said.
    the console devs have total control over which console we are going to play on. if games would still be released on older consoles then ppl wouldnt buy the newer console, take the ds and 3ds for example.
    even though the hype was great, ds still had games coming through that has made ppl wait for the 3ds or rather make the 3ds wait.
    ps3 is still not done IMO and hence ps4 will take time to settle in. i didnt mention the xbox console bcz i dont know its name (cant think of something sensible)

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The Xbox update doesn't really change much, it just adds some new features. It won't be selling units by any means, it's just more incentive to go with a Gold subscription.

Sony only screwed the pooch when it came to pricing the PS3 as high as it was at launch. It was just crippled out of the gates. The Slim, however, has seriously helped them and showed the console is a great machine. Also, the "hacking fiasco" still left with them with 90% of PSN users remaining with them. Suicide it is not.

10. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I believe they had no choice. Especially at that time when blu-ray technology was like super expensive.

11. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    They had the choice not to include BluRay. They did anyway though to push the format as it was emerging and the PS3 did cement it as the dominant HD movie format by being a (relatively) cheap BluRay player so...six and half a dozen?

12. trigger_ftu

Member trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

United States

microsoft also had the choice not to make an HD DVD for the 360 but they did it didn't sell so no more HD DVD. the fact is sony had a new product very new very powerful. that being 25-50 GB of UNCOMPRESSED HD and HD rendered game. another thing that screwed em is programing for it. the sad part about the 360 is it was equivalent to a pc running a core 2 duo where as sony jumped way out there on hardware, it was difficult to program for none of the 3rd parties could do anything about it till after a year when sony decided to send an actual rep to all it's third parties, and teach them how to use the SDK. where as in M$ they seems to want to put windows in everything and stick to computer hardware, actual computer hardware. where it was as easy as build for pc change a few things downgrade the render code so it works with the hardware compatibility then ether slap it on 3 discs after compressing the shit out of everything.

to note i also agree with Nathan Drake the quote states that he "thinks" the difference he doesn't actually know. he's going off a hunch, a theory. a possibility. not actual fact.

13. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    there's a major difference there: hd-dvd was not used for games. in reality, hd-dvd was superior to blu-ray since its codecs required less space for the same quality. in reality, blu-ray is not needed when u can easily buy a comparable media player for a fraction of the price and never have to buy another disc again. blu-ray will never drop to dvd prices on average considering the only reason for releasing new tech is to charge a premium price for the same content again.

the ps3 is not as powerful as sony has made it out to be. what's good on paper doesn't necessarily translate into the real world. the system was at least six months behind computer tech at launch, so u can imagine how dated it is now. the main problem with the system is the amount of ram. it may have the same amount as the 360, but it's op utilizes three times more to run in the background. and, as is the case with any tech, it's only as good as its weakest link. this is one of the biggest reasons developers have had problems with the system.

it's highly improbable that the 360 or ps3 will have a ten-year cycle. the tech in both is extremely outdated, and considering so many gamers seem to care more about the tech involved than the actual games produced, it will arrive sooner rather than later or many gamers will jump over to the wii-u before microsoft or sony can blink an eye.

14. trigger_ftu

Member trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

United States
    this part made me laugh. reason because the ps3 was and is using the same IBM cell possessor running if i remember 7-8 cores. where as the average computer during the time was barely reaching dual-cores from intel and AMD. back then it was big and coming from IBM none the less. i will admit that part of it's hardware was lacking that of what it could have used more of, and that being RAM. running with detected memory per core allows for alot of possibilities just that it needs more work there has been only a select few games that has used the ps3's hardware efficiently to even push the frames. one of them being crysis 2.

I believe if Sony wants to amp up their game they need to loosen a few restrictions and see about a few better core games. killzone is nice, socom isn't bad, COD is ok. but stuff epic does like Gears of war that would be kick ass on the ps3 hell i would even go as far as saying Ratchet and Clank would look hella kick ass with M$ render engines. but everyone knows we won't be seeing that anytime soon.

well the Wii U looks impressive and i cannot wait for the retail versions to get released, same goes for the PSVita two new systems that are on my buy list after moving to Europe.

15. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    And Sony weren't even slighty amazed by Wii U, how ironic.