Ubisoft Motion Pictures announces "The Division" movie

image.jpg

Ubisoft's movie branch has announced their latest project; a movie adaptation of their recent game, Tom Clancy's The Division. It already has some A-list actors/actresses lined up for the casting as well, including Jessica Chastain (The Martian, The Help, Zero Dark Thirty) and Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler, Southpaw). Ubisoft Motion Pictures also has upcoming movies based on Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Watch_Dogs, and Rabbids franchises in the works.

“We are excited to collaborate with Jessica and Jake, two of Hollywood’s most talented actors and perfect creative collaborators to help bring Tom Clancy’s The Division™ to the big screen,” said Gerard Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer, Ubisoft Motion Pictures. “Attaching Jake and Jessica is part of our development philosophy of working closely with top talent from the earliest stages to collaborate on a high quality film,” added Matt Phelps, Vice President, Ubisoft Motion Pictures.

Ubisoft Motion Pictures will develop the project with Gyllenhaal’s and Riva Marker’s (Beasts of No Nation) Nine Stories Productions, and Chastain’s Freckle Films. The announcement comes after the critically-acclaimed Tom Clancy’s The Division™ video game, developed by Ubisoft’s Massive Entertainment studio, sold more copies in its first 24 hours of availability than any previous title in Ubisoft’s history* and recorded the biggest first week ever for a new video game franchise**.

Source: Press Release

Reactions: Deleted User

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that the game basically instantly got a movie adaptation greenlit, since it came out this year. The talent they got for this makes it interesting, but video game movie adaptations have had a really bad history, 9 times out of 10 they suck. Hopefully this won't, for the sake of the actors involved.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO MORE MOVIE BASED ON VIDEO GAMES :(

TOO MANY DISASTERS!

*Remember super mario bros, Street fighter legend of chun-li, Sonic the hedgehog* (Oops, @Chary Gonna be upset i said sonic. :blush:

*DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION* (Maybe she won't be mad i said that one.)^_^

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not all games adaptation are garbages, after Prince of Persia i have faith in Ubisoft. And

I WANT TOM HARDY !!!

edit: does ''Jessica'' mean Jessica Alba?

Last edited by leon315,

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
, but I do know that Broke Back Mountain aside
Yeah that movie sucked :rofl2:

Not all games adaptation are garbages, after Prince of Persia i have faith in Ubisoft.
It remains to be seem although even if it is only average bad then it is still an improvement in the world of video game movies.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is Prince of Persia considered bad now? Most at the time found it agreeable enough, when I saw thought it a fairly OK film. I would have preferred a proper middle east themed beat 'em up but ultimately found it an inoffensive popcorn film.

But yeah no story to have to retread to please nobody, an interesting enough setting (though I wonder how much ruined new york will cost to recreate) and Tom Clancy's name floating around the place seems a reasonable basis for a film.

On Brokeback Mountain I never saw it (didn't seem like my kind of film) but it seems to be fairly well liked on imdb, rotten tomatoes, a variety of awards places and however many years on this is it does not seem to have got much of a backlash or "what were we thinking". It could be that they are wrong and they certainly have been in the past but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt here.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Brokeback Mountain I never saw it (didn't seem like my kind of film) but it seems to be fairly well liked on imdb, rotten tomatoes, a variety of awards places and however many years on this is it does not seem to have got much of a backlash or "what were we thinking". It could be that they are wrong and they certainly have been in the past but I have to give it the benefit of the doubt here.
Broke Back mountain was a good film by Ang Lee (who did Life of Pie) but it was a joke due to the film's premise.

man/ma'am, no need to debate and pessimist, THE NUMBER TALKS ALL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Sands_of_Time_(film)#Box_office

$335,154,643 VERSUS 150-200M BUDGET
I was not referring to Prince of Persia but to the division movie. As for the film's quality, I found it ok but that great although it is one of the better video game movies.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I know they say a good IP sells regardless, but was The Division ever really a good IP? It had a lot of hype leading up, but that fizzed away rather quickly, and many people have trickled away from the game. I don't know if they're going to be able to sell this off of pure hype:

Who needs a story when you can sell a product solely on Hype?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded