Ubisoft is giving away Assassin's Creed Unity for free on PC to honor Notre Dame

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 17, 2019.

1. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I actually like uplay. It's a heck alot faster to download from than Steam mostly.

eyeliner likes this.
  2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    This is actually a great idea. Assasins Creed Unity has one of the most accurate renditions of notre dame in the world. It was made from extensive 3d scans and thousands of photographs to be a 1:1 of the real thing and the data ubisoft used will most certainly be used in the reconstruction efforts.

Last edited by Daggot, Apr 17, 2019
    osaka35 and FateForWindows like this.
  3. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Banned
    Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What's the source of that quote? It doesn't seem to be at the provided source link.

Edit: Google to the rescue: Official Ubisoft Press Article

Last edited by WiiUBricker, Apr 17, 2019
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    i mean, they could easily be both. Good marketing usually entails doing the right thing (or the perception of doing the right thing). not sure it's overly necessary given the church's financial standing, but the support is a very positive thing, and it's good marketing regardless. I don't think those on the actual team had anything to do with this, those actually passionate about the locals.

I guarantee you this is coming from the marketing department in order to drum up support. but it may also very well be the right thing to do. a good marketer makes sure it's both.

for me, the donating of money turned this from exploitative to helpful. if it was just a free game, that'd be the wrong thing. but game and donation was the correct thing to do. donating without making the game free would have been better, but wouldn't have been as positive for the company so that's fine. it makes sense the way they did it.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 18, 2019
    FateForWindows likes this.
  5. If they offered it for free on Steam then I would consider even if it requires uPlay because Steam is where my entire digital games library is. Worth over $600.

6. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Soo? Just get it and add it as a non-steam game.

I mean seriously.. It's not hard.

7. Eh...I'd rather have Steam manage it. I don't want too many gaming accounts.

guily6669 likes this.
  8. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    [​IMG]

Too soon?

gameboy likes this.
  9. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    Part's of it has been destroyed and rebuilt in the past. But it's over 500 years old. People want to preserve it in it's original form as much as possible to pay respect to the things people built in the past so they wont be forgotten. Even if people didn't die it's still upsetting to many. The construction is an iconic religious piece of art that many people appreciate even if they are not religious because it's a piece of history.

Nah, I was going to make a hunchback joke too before everyone else in the other thread, I had everything typed out but decided not to hit post reply just to wait it out a bit.

One of my favorite Disney songs by the way.

Last edited by SG854, Apr 18, 2019
  10. Delerious

Delerious GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2018
    United States
    California
    You might not care, but other people do. I do agree though, that it shouldn't be made as such a big deal that it is, considering there were no injuries or deaths, and the fire was accidental.

And yet, hurricane victims still refuse to leave the hazard zone, even despite the fact that people are put at risk each time it happens, and taxpayer dollars keep going to rebuild some of these areas for the Nth time.

11. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    that's the majority of the east coast and anywhere near the gulf of mexico, from texas to flordia. you just kind of brace for it and do your best to prepare. it's not something you can just move away from. even temporarily. and a lot of places, businesses and school, won't close. university i went to caused at least a few students to die because they said they weren't postponing finals for washed out roads or anything. it's not as simple as "get away from it". our culture and work requirements in the USA make it impossible.

it's a big deal historically, but not in terms of human lives. just human preservation.

Last edited by osaka35, Apr 18, 2019
    eyeliner likes this.
  12. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    how about you make this free version drm free. No Uplay needed. Your giving it out for free so it does not matter if its downloaded from a torrent or your server. So where is the legit drm free version?

13. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Apr 8, 2014
    Japan
    This thread is full of choosing beggars lol, they are giving it away for free through their store platform. You are also free to not get it. Why are people complaining? Take it or leave it. Easy. You should complain if they included telemetry (stealing your personal data) with their product.

People used to buy magazines to get game demos, now companies are giving games for free and they are complaining haha. None of this is obligatory.

Last edited by r5xscn, Apr 18, 2019
    kumikochan and CallmeBerto like this.
  14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Oh I'm sure with enough research, you can find....ways, to uh, deal with the DRM.

osaka35 likes this.
  15. arthur_bleme

arthur_bleme Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    France
    France
    Good, but i'll wait for the Parthenon temple burned to get a free copy of Odyssey

16. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    the_randomizer and comput3rus3r like this.
  17. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    cuz there's only like 2 people signed in at a time. you and that other guy. rofl

18. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Thanks thought it was pretty cool of them, and they also put up hundreds of thousands of dollars to help fix it, and that's amazing. Mad respect.

19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    well for all the people claiming multi nationals are giving money because they want to help actually ain't true. There's a law that says if you donate to culture or something historical you can cut 60 percent of that amount of your taxes wich means they have to pay less a lot less taxes to the goverment that year. In that regard the French goverment will get a lot less taxes than years before and it will eventually come to the middle class with extra taxes and other means to get that money they lost from taxes of the rich. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts but to cut taxes and free advertisement wich eventually will make life again more expensive for the lower and middle class since ey money needs to come from somewhere if the rich ain't paying

Last edited by kumikochan, Apr 18, 2019
  20. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    might as well free DLC assassin's creed unity dead kings :)