Ubisoft delays Skull & Bones for a fourth time

skull and bones.JPG

When the game was first announced in 2017, Ubisoft promised we'd see the pirate-themed Skull & Bones release in late 2018. It obviously never met that schedule, and in the past four years, the game has been delayed over and over again, pushed back from year to year. The latest launch window planned for Skull & Bones was sometime in 2021, but it won't set sail on that date either, as Ubisoft has admitted that they're delaying the game yet again, in their latest financial report. Now, it'll launch sometime within the next fiscal year, meaning April 2022 at the earliest, or even 2023 at the latest.

Previously, Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot said that development was going smoothly on the title, and that it was very much on track for its 2021 release. Where the studio has been focused on putting out three or more AAA-tier games a year in the past, this financial briefing reveals that the company no longer agrees with that mindset. They're instead opting to scale back and spend more time on the development of its individual games, finding that quantity of releases isn't a good indicating factor of how well Ubisoft is doing anymore. For now, Ubisoft has high hopes riding on the games that aren't getting delayed: Far Cry 6, Rainbow Six: Quarantine, Riders Republic, Roller Champions, and The Division Heartland.

:arrow: Source

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You know, I think it would be better for any company if triple-a game development would continue silently, without any formal announcements until there's enough in-game content to show us from the beta or post-beta builds.
Game marketing need to change from now on. The devs need to take that experience, simply spend more time working on their triple-A games, and the publishers should allow that.
Declaring delays to their customers won't help when the ship already sailed years ago, even though honesty is always accepted. It should be a mindset from the beginning of the development to it's very end.

I literally forgot Skull & Bones exist, and the fact that these delays remind me of it's existence, is simply pointless.
If you're already at it, why can't you show a bit of gameplay? maybe a new juicy pack of screenshots from the current build?
Nope, just delaying the game and oh yeah, we're still working on it.

I'm not blaming anyone, but if we're gonna see more cases like that later on in this decade, then it only proves that things truly need to change.

Reactions: slimbizzy

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
You know, I think it would be better for any company if triple-a game development would continue silently, without any formal announcements until there's enough in-game content to show us from the beta or post-beta builds.
Game marketing need to change from now on. The devs need to take that experience, simply spend more time working on their triple-A games, and the publishers should allow that.
Declaring delays to their customers won't help when the ship already sailed years ago, even though honesty is always accepted. It should be a mindset from the beginning of the development to it's very end.

I literally forgot Skull & Bones exist, and the fact that these delays remind me of it's existence, is simply pointless.
If you're already at it, why can't you show a bit of gameplay? maybe a new juicy pack of screenshots from the current build?

I'm not blaming anyone, but if we're gonna see more cases like that later on in this decade, then it only proves that things truly need to change.
i agree whole heartedly.

i guess the only reason i can see the reasoning for announcing delays, or even mentioning the game being developed before release is to generate hype and looking-forward-to-ness.

if i was to market a game, i would personally try and announce the game near completion. but i wanna make SURE it's near completion. but i also know nothing about marketing a game and probably will never try

Reactions: AxlSt00pid
D

Deleted User

This was developed on the back of the Pirate Naval Battles fad of that year.
That hasn't really aged well now, as I'm sure most of the Company realises.

As much as I am a fan of an Earth-accurate, complete Naval Game in the same vein as Uncharted Waters, there's already an expansive Fantasy MMORPG with Naval elements, great graphics and Multiplayer as part of its DNA.

I don't think anyone can say this is the right time for a release of this Genre.

Last edited by , , Reason: Wording.

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Please can we just switch to the showing off game at x event and be like available next month or today. I think I'd be way more hyped for stuff than how companies have been handling their announcements currently

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who only enjoyed Ass Creed Black Flag, because of being a pirate. This saddens me. I don't give a shit about anything else Ubisoft makes. I also kinda forgot this game even exist, until today, lol.

mat128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This was developed on the back of the Pirate Naval Battles fad of that year.
That hasn't really aged well now, as I'm sure most of the Company realises.

As much as I am a fan of an Earth-accurate, complete Naval Game in the same vein as Uncharted Waters, there's already an expansive Fantasy MMORPG with Naval elements, great graphics and Multiplayer as part of its DNA.

I don't think anyone can say this is the right time for a release of this Genre.
What pirate fad? People loved Assassin's Creed 4's sailing, boarding, underwater exploration, whale hunting, ship combat, whatever pirate activities and wanted more. Ubisoft misread the room when they developed this game as a multiplayer only ship combat game exclusively.

Pretty sure the reason Skull & Bones hasn't been cancelled is that it's being recycled into a proper AAA pirate game without the Assassin's Creed baggage holding it back. It's a fresh setting that would turn a lot of heads and if anyone can pull it off it's Ubisoft.

D

Deleted User

Wait, Microsoft sold the rights of pirate game? Woah! Crazy how the license went from Ubisoft of ass creed, Microsoft on Sea of Theives, and now back to Ubisoft again! And given those... amazing games it's following up, I'm sure this'll be a knock-out! Seriously though, am I the only person who confused this game for Sea of Theives?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
people complain about this game being delayed then what about Beyond good and evil 2? we see a small preview game play trailer like 3 years ago and nothing more, god knows what happened to beyond good and evil 2 tbh, maybe they canned it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways