1. 1,373

Front-page
    skull and bones.JPG

When the game was first announced in 2017, Ubisoft promised we'd see the pirate-themed Skull & Bones release in late 2018. It obviously never met that schedule, and in the past four years, the game has been delayed over and over again, pushed back from year to year. The latest launch window planned for Skull & Bones was sometime in 2021, but it won't set sail on that date either, as Ubisoft has admitted that they're delaying the game yet again, in their latest financial report. Now, it'll launch sometime within the next fiscal year, meaning April 2022 at the earliest, or even 2023 at the latest.

Previously, Ubisoft's Yves Guillemot said that development was going smoothly on the title, and that it was very much on track for its 2021 release. Where the studio has been focused on putting out three or more AAA-tier games a year in the past, this financial briefing reveals that the company no longer agrees with that mindset. They're instead opting to scale back and spend more time on the development of its individual games, finding that quantity of releases isn't a good indicating factor of how well Ubisoft is doing anymore. For now, Ubisoft has high hopes riding on the games that aren't getting delayed: Far Cry 6, Rainbow Six: Quarantine, Riders Republic, Roller Champions, and The Division Heartland.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (24 replies)

3. Latiodile

Latiodile Professionally dead inside

Canada
    i forgot this game "existed"

raxadian and Orangy57 like this.
  4. MohammedQ8

MohammedQ8 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Kuwait
    They should change the name to “dust and ashes”

felix.200, smallissue, DKB and 3 others like this.
  5. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    they are busy building towers that shows part of a map when you reach it

felix.200 and hamohamo like this.
  6. RedoLane

RedoLane Employed Punmaster

Israel
    You know, I think it would be better for any company if triple-a game development would continue silently, without any formal announcements until there's enough in-game content to show us from the beta or post-beta builds.
    Game marketing need to change from now on. The devs need to take that experience, simply spend more time working on their triple-A games, and the publishers should allow that.
    Declaring delays to their customers won't help when the ship already sailed years ago, even though honesty is always accepted. It should be a mindset from the beginning of the development to it's very end.

I literally forgot Skull & Bones exist, and the fact that these delays remind me of it's existence, is simply pointless.
    If you're already at it, why can't you show a bit of gameplay? maybe a new juicy pack of screenshots from the current build?
    Nope, just delaying the game and oh yeah, we're still working on it.

I'm not blaming anyone, but if we're gonna see more cases like that later on in this decade, then it only proves that things truly need to change.

TomRannd likes this.
  7. TomRannd

TomRannd slim bizzy

Canada
    i agree whole heartedly.

i guess the only reason i can see the reasoning for announcing delays, or even mentioning the game being developed before release is to generate hype and looking-forward-to-ness.

if i was to market a game, i would personally try and announce the game near completion. but i wanna make SURE it's near completion. but i also know nothing about marketing a game and probably will never try

THEELEMENTKH likes this.
  8. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    I didn't even know this game existed

9. DKB

DKB S̵̜͎̺̔̊l̷̠̈́͗̾̏͠e̴̲͇͐e̸̹̬̔p̵̧̙̺̦̾̉.̶͚̇̎̄

United States
    who cares

(i also forgot this game existed)

10. DinohScene

DinohScene hail p1ngpong

Antarctica
    I wonder if we'll ever get it...

11. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch COBANERMITE FOREVER

United States
    Another delayed game this year, incredible

12. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

This was developed on the back of the Pirate Naval Battles fad of that year.
    That hasn't really aged well now, as I'm sure most of the Company realises.

As much as I am a fan of an Earth-accurate, complete Naval Game in the same vein as Uncharted Waters, there's already an expansive Fantasy MMORPG with Naval elements, great graphics and Multiplayer as part of its DNA.

I don't think anyone can say this is the right time for a release of this Genre.

Last edited May 11, 2021 - Reason: Wording.
  13. DarkCrudus

DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    Please can we just switch to the showing off game at x event and be like available next month or today. I think I'd be way more hyped for stuff than how companies have been handling their announcements currently

14. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Still not positive it actually "exists"..

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  15. RobXcore

RobXcore GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    This is actually better than the game getting Cyberpunk'd.

16. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    As someone who only enjoyed Ass Creed Black Flag, because of being a pirate. This saddens me. I don't give a shit about anything else Ubisoft makes. I also kinda forgot this game even exist, until today, lol.

17. mat128

mat128 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    What pirate fad? People loved Assassin's Creed 4's sailing, boarding, underwater exploration, whale hunting, ship combat, whatever pirate activities and wanted more. Ubisoft misread the room when they developed this game as a multiplayer only ship combat game exclusively.

Pretty sure the reason Skull & Bones hasn't been cancelled is that it's being recycled into a proper AAA pirate game without the Assassin's Creed baggage holding it back. It's a fresh setting that would turn a lot of heads and if anyone can pull it off it's Ubisoft.

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi: *pout* :f

Antarctica
    This is the first time I’ve ever heard of this game. Considering it’s Ubisoft game, I really doubt it’s going to be worth the wait.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Wait, Microsoft sold the rights of pirate game? Woah! Crazy how the license went from Ubisoft of ass creed, Microsoft on Sea of Theives, and now back to Ubisoft again! And given those... amazing games it's following up, I'm sure this'll be a knock-out! Seriously though, am I the only person who confused this game for Sea of Theives?

20. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2

21. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    people complain about this game being delayed then what about Beyond good and evil 2? we see a small preview game play trailer like 3 years ago and nothing more, god knows what happened to beyond good and evil 2 tbh, maybe they canned it?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Ubisoft, delays, fourth