Ubisoft Celebrates The Holiday Season With Free PC Games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Juggalo Debo

Juggalo Debo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2016
    United States
    I don' mind upay, steam......dont like origin. I have Ac. On multiple consoles so I might pick up world in conflict (wtfe it' called)

2. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    An anti-anime bunker
    Or closing down entirely. I never cared for their games anyways.
    Although Far cry 3 is good...

3. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    I've never used it, but I've seen quite a few instances of people complaining about it because of how invasive Ubisoft makes it. I believe there were instances in the past of it basically acting as always-on-line drm, and if their servers went down, you couldn't play your single player game. Or the instances of where it fails to connect because issues. You know, annoy shit like stopping you from playing the game because your internet went spotty.

I have no actual experience using it, so I'm not claiming any of this as actual fact, but I'm guessing that enough of this has spread around to damage the image of Uplay to the point where people don't even want to bother trying it.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    These are all old complaints. Ubisoft stopped requiring always online stuff in around 2013 or 2014. The only games that have always online stuff with Ubisoft (now anyways) are games that are essentially MMOs, like The Crew, For Honor, and The Division.

5. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii If specified, this replaces title above your posts

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Hey, free games is always a better option than paying (or even pirating....). But still not a huge fan of uplay.... But then again, it is free.

6. supergamer368

supergamer368 This sentence is false.

May 22, 2016
    United States
    somewhere
    :rofl2::rofl::lol::D:):mellow: Oh.. you’re serious

7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    But can I play them without UPlay?

8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    I'm in the, don't want to download and sign up for another service camp.

As for Origins, I'm in both camps of not wanting to download and "cuz EA".

9. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Well, this is what I got the first time I booted SSE, the day it released. I dunno if I'd call it all that well bug-checked. The fix count for the Unofficial SSE Patch is pretty big too.

10. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    "World in Conflict" release date: September 18, 2007.

It's a 10 yo game. Never even heard of it. I'm more interested in AC. I finished 1-3 (including Brotherhood, Revelations), and I'm guessing Liberation is next (story-wise), then Black Flag, then Rogue (on the PS3). Right?

Last edited by DSpider, Dec 6, 2017
  11. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii If specified, this replaces title above your posts

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    Would there be any major disadvantages in starting the assassin's creed series with black flag?

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I doubt it. I've only played 3 at this point, but aside from some monkeying about in the present day (which was both boring and irrelevant, IMHO), all was fine.

13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    People get games for free wich is always nice and all everybody is doing here is complain, complain and fucking complain. Well, i'm happy with it, i don't fucking complain when they hand me over something for free. Atleast my parents teached me to be thankful instead of a whiny kid that doesn't do anything else then fucking complain

14. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    I finished the ones before AC3 (and AC3 as well, along with both PSP games from the series), and AC3 was BY FAR the worst one I've played. The second one and Brotherhood were 10x better. Terrible choice to start with 3.

15. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    this on uplay?

16. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    that game introduce me to the assassins creed game series

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I've heard that as well (much later), but that's just how it went.
    But to get back at Luke's question: can he start at black flag or does it require some previous knowledge on anything?

18. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    They're so shit that I don't even want them, not even for free.

19. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    To answer your question, I would say start from the first one. The story when you exit the Animus progresses through each game. They're related (sometimes more, sometimes less, but they definitely have a correlation). For example, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are pretty much back to back. When you finish AC2 (at least on the PS3), the game reads your save game file and continues with all of your armor and equipment from where you left off. I was a little impressed.

I think you'd be missing out if you skip one of them, or play them out of order.

The first one was absolutely my favourite. Probably the best from the series, but I haven't played the ones that came out after 2012 or so. Some people recommend skipping AC3 and Unity, because they're full of bugs and half-baked ideas. I would still play them. But that's just me.

LukeHasAWii likes this.
  20. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Ubisoft is the hardest publisher for me to pin down. To me they seem to be both the best and the worst. It's like Nintendo and EA merged into one company and there is a struggle beyond between good and evil. On the one hand you have Uplay and the ruining of the Splinter Cell franchise, and on the other hand you have the whimsical work of Michel Ancel.