Ubisoft and Capcom Hacked, Watch Dogs Leak, Switch Sales, Xbox SSD Controversy & More - Tempcast #12

podcast_art_banner_smol-png.222446

In this week's episode, we discuss the recent ransomware hacks on major game companies Ubisoft, Capcom and Crytek, along with the Watch Dogs: Legion source code being leaked to the public. We also react to Nintendo's financial reports, which show that the Switch has sold over 68 million units worldwide. Our hosts touch upon the recent controversies surrounding the Xbox Series S's available storage, as well as the PS5's, and some backwards compatibility issues brought up by the community. Finally, we exchange our views on Sega selling a large chunk of its arcade business, Square Enix losing revenue on Avengers, and the rumored Mass Effect collection that has already been announced by the time this podcast is released.

Theme by VinsCool and AlanJohn​

Also available on:
:arrow: Spotify
:arrow: Apple Podcasts
:arrow: Google Podcasts
:arrow: Breaker
:arrow: RadioPublic
:arrow: PocketCasts
:arrow: Anchor.fm
:arrow: Overcast
:arrow: Direct MP3 Download

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
microsoft are more than rich. they can afford to give customers a 1/3 decent ssd. they are being greedy again.

still better showing than sony.

Consoles are often sold at a loss, and I’m sure the Series S is being sold at a deeper loss than most due to its impressive specs. It may not be reasonable to expect MS to sell the console with a bigger hard drive at that cost (though, of course, it wouldn’t bankrupt them or anything; they’d just make a slightly less ludicrously huge profit than they will now).

I do still think it’s a mistake for the SSD to be that small given its audience, though. It may have been smarter to raise the price by $50 and put in a bigger SSD, or maybe make it only capable of 1440p instead of 4K and keep the price the same. The issue with that is that 4K is a very marketable thing and a bigger SSD isn’t really.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Consoles are often sold at a loss, and I’m sure the Series S is being sold at a deeper loss than most due to its impressive specs. It may not be reasonable to expect MS to sell the console with a bigger hard drive at that cost (though, of course, it wouldn’t bankrupt them or anything; they’d just make a slightly less ludicrously huge profit than they will now).

I do still think it’s a mistake for the SSD to be that small given its audience, though. It may have been smarter to raise the price by $50 and put in a bigger SSD, or maybe make it only capable of 1440p instead of 4K and keep the price the same. The issue with that is that 4K is a very marketable thing and a bigger SSD isn’t really.
I wouldn't really be very miffed about the Series S having such a small SSD if the expandable storage wasn't proprietary and expensive. Strong PS Vita vibes.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

dont defend them rn.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people at microsoft have given good to the world. they might do again later.

Ok, so, what is the process for when Microsoft does something good? Say they make a charitable donation tomorrow, do I just bump this thread or do I need to post my defence somewhere else? Also, do I only get to defend one thing per charitable donation they make, or is there a grace period where I can defend as many things as I want?

Corporations aren’t people. They shouldn’t be defended on their overall moral character, because they don’t have one. And even if they did, it wouldn’t be defined by the last good or bad thing they did. Every corporation does good things, because they have incredible resources and it helps their image when they do good things. Every corporation also does horrible, destructive things, because that’s how they acquire those incredible resources.

I wasn’t defending Microsoft. At best, I was defending one small decision they made. But I’d say I wasn’t even really defending it, because I still think they fucked up. All I said was that it might be a bit unrealistic to expect them to take that big of a hit on every console sold.

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure Series S would download lower res textures (not 4k) of COD for example compared to the big boys, the game will still be big but not that 200gb++ big.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Pretty sure Series S would download lower res textures (not 4k) of COD for example compared to the big boys, the game will still be big but not that 200gb++ big.
It's actually been confirmed by Modern Vintage Gamer on Youtube. The Series S version is around 10gb less thanks to smart delivery.

Reactions: ChronoTrig

mugwort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSD's are so much more expensive per GB than the old HDDs that had the terabyte memories we'd gotten used to. To many high end upgrades (HDD to SSD, 4K, 60fps) to keep the thing affordable and practical.

Last edited by mugwort,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.