• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

(U.S.)Will you participate in the nationwide walkout Wednesday?

Will you participate in the walkout?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least what I can tell from my city(near Chicago), all schools in the U.S. will be doing a walk out to honor the deaths of the 17 who died in the Parkland, Florida school shooting. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do but I was curious just how many here will do it.

Yes, I did censor out the city name and other info that indicates where I am. I'm not givin that info out.
received_1150826361732621.jpeg

D

Deleted User

I'm not going to have the chance to do it, as this week is my week off. :/

I wish the best of luck to anyone participating, though. The US really needs to sort out its gun problem/mental health problem/whatever problem.

Reactions: Deleted User

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to have the chance to do it, as this week is my week off. :/

I wish the best of luck to anyone participating, though. The US really needs to sort out its gun problem/mental health problem/whatever problem.
Ya, I think the age to get a gun should be bumped up to 21.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Sweet! That's the same amount of time as TWO fire drills! Take that third period math!

If I was in MS/HS still, I'd probably walk out, but only to get time out of class for free, really. Now though, I think it's a nice little way to spread knowledge about the event and give a moment to make kids understand safety, however, with the 13-17 age bracket, it likely won't have any major effect on most of them, honestly.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of my friends in college didn't give a damn about the election, but they walked out with the other students, because they wanted to get out of testing. :P When their college made testing optional due to the election, they started to pretend they gave a damn. :D

If I was in grade school, you damn right I'd walk out, just to get out of doing school work!

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It came one year late for me to be in high school, but otherwise I definitely would be

If you don't want to go you have a whole day of modding,hacking,homebrew playing video games
The whole point is to go to school THEN walk out. It's not a protest if you just call in sick

Heck no! First off, ny school won’t let us. Second, isn’t having hundreds of kids unprotected outside increasing the chance of someone shooting them? Seems to me like we might a have a shooting Wednesday.
Doesn't matter if your school will let you or not, they can't punish you any more than if you didn't show up for class under normal circumstances. You're protected by your First Amendment right to protest, even when on school property, as outlined by the 1969 court case Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District. If your school is suppressing that, contact the ACLU immediately and they will lawyer up on your behalf
As for being a bigger target for a school shooting, I HIGHLY doubt that would be the case, but on top of that a potential shooter would be incredibly stupid to shoot a bunch of kids on a day where an entire country's worth of students are drawing attention to the issue of people shooting a bunch of kids

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wake up around 10 AM at earliest lol, so I'm in support but I can't participate. Also I work at a dispensary, pretty much all of us already hate the current federal government for several reasons including gun issues.

Last edited by Xzi,

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck no! First off, ny school won’t let us. Second, isn’t having hundreds of kids unprotected outside increasing the chance of someone shooting them? Seems to me like we might a have a shooting Wednesday.
I included the letter they gave me and the other students for a reason. They mention that they will have the police there to keep everyone safe. Seriously, it would be no different from if someone tryed to start a school shooting from tge middle of lunch or an assembly in that they would hopefully be taken down quickly before more die.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: