(U.S.)Will you participate in the nationwide walkout Wednesday?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by jt_1258, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Will you participate in the walkout?

Poll closed Mar 15, 2018.
  1. Yes

5.3%
  2. No

42.1%
  3. Undetermined

5.3%
  4. I'm not a student

47.4%
  5. I'm not in the U.S.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jt_1258
    OP

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    At least what I can tell from my city(near Chicago), all schools in the U.S. will be doing a walk out to honor the deaths of the 17 who died in the Parkland, Florida school shooting. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do but I was curious just how many here will do it.

Yes, I did censor out the city name and other info that indicates where I am. I'm not givin that info out.
    received_1150826361732621.jpeg

CallmeBerto and B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N like this.
  2. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N オンライン翻訳者が悪い

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Hell
    I'm not going to have the chance to do it, as this week is my week off. :/

I wish the best of luck to anyone participating, though. The US really needs to sort out its gun problem/mental health problem/whatever problem.

WintendoZone likes this.
  3. jt_1258
    OP

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    Ya, I think the age to get a gun should be bumped up to 21.

WintendoZone and B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N like this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Sweet! That's the same amount of time as TWO fire drills! Take that third period math!

If I was in MS/HS still, I'd probably walk out, but only to get time out of class for free, really. Now though, I think it's a nice little way to spread knowledge about the event and give a moment to make kids understand safety, however, with the 13-17 age bracket, it likely won't have any major effect on most of them, honestly.

CallmeBerto and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  5. Old

Old GBAtemp Regular

Mar 7, 2018
    United States
    If I were a student in 2018 with everything that's been going on? You bet your ass I'd be walking out/marching. Enough is enough.

6. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Lmao no

t. HS Student in 2018

7. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Black Tempters Unite!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    If you don't want to go you have a whole day of modding,hacking,homebrew playing video games

8. supergamer368

supergamer368 This sentence is false.

May 22, 2016
    United States
    somewhere
    Heck no! First off, ny school won’t let us. Second, isn’t having hundreds of kids unprotected outside increasing the chance of someone shooting them? Seems to me like we might a have a shooting Wednesday.

9. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Black Tempters Unite!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    You have to go?

10. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Some of my friends in college didn't give a damn about the election, but they walked out with the other students, because they wanted to get out of testing. :P When their college made testing optional due to the election, they started to pretend they gave a damn. :D

If I was in grade school, you damn right I'd walk out, just to get out of doing school work!

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE likes this.
  11. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    I was a student last 21 years ago. I’d totally walk out. Solidarity is key!

12. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It came one year late for me to be in high school, but otherwise I definitely would be

The whole point is to go to school THEN walk out. It's not a protest if you just call in sick

Doesn't matter if your school will let you or not, they can't punish you any more than if you didn't show up for class under normal circumstances. You're protected by your First Amendment right to protest, even when on school property, as outlined by the 1969 court case Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District. If your school is suppressing that, contact the ACLU immediately and they will lawyer up on your behalf
    As for being a bigger target for a school shooting, I HIGHLY doubt that would be the case, but on top of that a potential shooter would be incredibly stupid to shoot a bunch of kids on a day where an entire country's worth of students are drawing attention to the issue of people shooting a bunch of kids

13. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I wake up around 10 AM at earliest lol, so I'm in support but I can't participate. Also I work at a dispensary, pretty much all of us already hate the current federal government for several reasons including gun issues.

Last edited by Xzi, Mar 13, 2018
  14. jt_1258
    OP

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    I included the letter they gave me and the other students for a reason. They mention that they will have the police there to keep everyone safe. Seriously, it would be no different from if someone tryed to start a school shooting from tge middle of lunch or an assembly in that they would hopefully be taken down quickly before more die.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    If I was still in HS I would walk out just to get out of school. I personally find this whole thing to be a failure of our government not failure of the current gun laws.