• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Most abortions are done out of convenience"
This statement is born out of ignorance, chauvinistic at best and a lie at worst.

Careful. He's got one Christian backed article that highlights only six states, each with their own rich history of being anti abortion, to back up his claim that most women get an abortion because it's convenient.

Any pro lifer that is content with stripping the rights of the mother to give rights to something not born yet cares more about control than saving lives. You can't advocate for forced birth and then completely disregard every other nuance of the baby's life and pretend to be pro life. It's a weak platform stemmed deep in religious and misogynistic ideals, backed by corporate greed feed propaganda.

"CONCLUSIONS

The decision to have an abortion is typically motivated by multiple, diverse and interrelated reasons. The themes of responsibility to others and resource limitations, such as financial constraints and lack of partner support, recurred throughout the study.

Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2005, 37(3):110–118"

Pulled from the Guttmacher article referenced above.

"Misconceptions About Reasons for Abortion

Some people think abortion is used simply as birth control. A common perception is that it's a "convenience" and an "easy way out."

That's not the case. In truth, it's very often because of family obligations and concerns about future children. Those answers are seen regardless of:

Income
Educational level
Parental status

They base their decision mainly on their ability to stay financially stable and care for their current children.

Abortion is a complicated and complex issue. Most people who face this decision don't make it lightly.

Those who've had an abortion say it's not an easy way out. It's a painful and difficult decision. And they made the choice while considering what's right for the baby.

Regardless of the reasons, it's a decision that stays with you forever.
Study: Self-Managed Abortions Rise Alongside Abortion Restrictions"

Pulled from the Verywellhealth article above

I'd say that the majority of women get an abortion due to not being able to afford raising the child or not being psychologically strong enough to do it. Nothing about convenience.

Using the word "convenience" betrays his intentions.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited by SyphenFreht,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Careful. He's got one Christian backed article that highlights only six states, each with their own rich history of being anti abortion, to back up his claim that most women get an abortion because it's convenient.
I'd say that the majority of women get an abortion due to not being able to afford raising the child or not being psychologically strong enough to do it. Nothing about convenience.

Using the word "convenience" betrays his intentions.

including the condom breaking or the women being raped.
You sound like you enjoy the thought of that. Do you have any empathy at all for them?

Do you understand the trauma of what they are going to go through?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you find ways of being a nastier shit than the people you "mirror"?
I'm not. I haven't even sunk close to his or your level.

If you think it's nastier shit, then you haven't considered your own view point.

I can explain it in every nasty detail if it will help you. I guess as a troll who doesn't actually believe the things you say, then being presented with the truth of them is probably quite nasty. But if you're prepared to say them, then hey let's dance.

I'd rather you back up and be reasonable, but I think we're long past that.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not. I haven't even sunk close to his or your level.

If you think it's nastier shit, then you haven't considered your own view point.

I can explain it in every nasty detail if it will help you. I guess as a troll who doesn't actually believe the things you say, then being presented with the truth of them is probably quite nasty. But if you're prepared to say them, then hey let's dance.

I'd rather you back up and be reasonable, but I think we're long past that.

Nobody introduced the idea of enjoying rape. That's all you.

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just quoting the statistics. I was surprised to learn that most abortions are done out of convenience too.

https://www.hli.org/resources/why-women-abort/
https://www.verywellhealth.com/reasons-for-abortion-906589
https://www.guttmacher.org/journals...ons-quantitative-and-qualitative-perspectives

I don't think abortions should happen for any reason, including the condom breaking or the women being raped.
hli is a pro-life source that you've pulled one number from.
The other two do not back up your position. Noble of you to add them despite your position.
I've made mine clear.
Pro-Choice.
Right or Wrong its the women, her doctors and immediate family choice. Any other blanket law blatantly ignores that facts of this specific situation. How could that ever be ok?
Simply stating pro-life no matter what and you'll never know.
I could never put myself in that specific position of responsibility. Its not my choice to make.

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he said, and i quote using the power of context "you sound like you enjoy the thought of that" as in he sounds like he enjoys the thought of women being unable to get an abortion because of rape or the condom breaking, which if he's okay with rape victims being forced to have a baby despite obviously possibly adding more trauma, or someone having to have a child they may be unable to care for, despite not planning and taking the precautions to prevent it, your garbage.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I call it how I see it. If you can't show any empathy for someone who has been raped, then it sounds like you might get off on thought they would have to go through with pregnancy. It's not normal to be so cold towards someone in those situations.

I'm surprised he didn't talk about the fathers rights after a rape.
Or how the condom breaking served them right.

That is the kind of things these cold people come up with.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: SyphenFreht

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You need to seek medical help. What you quoted was me saying I'd consider your argument. How can I go for it? You haven't posted an argument.

I repeat: If you wanted to make an argument for moving up or down a couple of weeks, backed by some kind of scientific evidence then I'll consider it.

I think your aneurysm finally burst.
I’ve been making various kinds of arguments throughout this thread, particularly ones regarding brain development and sentience. You can pick and choose what you like, as long as it actually gets us to a point where you can answer a simple question. You seem to have a lot of trouble with it, and I’m trying to figure out why. So far you’ve told me that there are “strong arguments on both sides of the debate”, and that as a liberal you “consider all of them”, but you refuse to disclose what those arguments actually are for some reason. Two can play that game, but I don’t know where that gets us.
So all this time you've been asked loaded questions that give an indication of your views, has all been a trolling maneuver.

I see, so when are we going to have the big reveal. I'll go grab popcorn.
Am I obligated to disclose my own beliefs just to participate in a discussion? This news to me. I pick and choose bad arguments on both sides and disseminate them, have been for the last couple of pages. It’s amusing. You’re not disclosing any when prompted, why should I? I’m beginning to think that you’re just waffling, but you’re free to prove me wrong. We’re all waiting to hear something, anything, that isn’t white noise and carries actual meaning.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
hli is a pro-life source that you've pulled one number from.
The other two do not back up your position. Noble of you to add them despite your position.
I've made mine clear.
Pro-Choice.
Right or Wrong its the women, her doctors and immediate family choice. Any other blanket law blatantly ignores that facts of this specific situation. How could that ever be ok?
Simply stating pro-life no matter what and you'll never know.
I could never put myself in that specific position of responsibility. Its not my choice to make.

All 3 sources list reasons of convenience for abortions ranging from the eighty to ninety percentile. That's pretty high. I'm not sure why you couldn't extract the data from all 3 links, something must be wrong with your ability to read.

KennyAtom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just said

so let me ask.
Is getting raped, or having a condom breaking, or birth control failing, and getting an abortion, classified as "getting out of the consequences of having sex"

Would you support abortion in this conditions? and if so. How would you verify that they happened?
either you're a complete dumbass or just weren't here for the last month, I'll be kind and presume the latter, but i've said over and over, I support it in cases of rape or death.

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
You sound like you enjoy the thought of that. Do you have any empathy at all for them?

Do you understand the trauma of what they are going to go through?

No I don't. I couldn't fathom being raped or how that would make me feel. However, it's not the childs fault the father raped the mother. It's a shitty situation, but like it or not it's my stance.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been making various kinds of arguments throughout this thread, particularly ones regarding brain development and sentience. You can pick and choose what you like,

You don’t know my views, I haven’t stated them as of yet.
Are you two people?

I'm not going to fall into a trap of debating something with you and then you constantly shift, because it has gotten boring after all these threads. But if there are multiple people posting from your account, then that would explain alot.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
Whomever perpetrated the rape.
Good, glad we have that cleared up then. For a moment I thought you might make a ludicrous statement saying that it's the persons fault for being raped, and that they should of acted better.
Back to your previous statement.
No I don't. I couldn't fathom being raped or how that would make me feel. However, it's not the childs fault the father raped the mother. It's a shitty situation, but like it or not it's my stance.
This is fucking garbage and disgusting still, there is no recourse for the mother, and she is forced to carry a child that's not hers without an abortion. with an abortion, she doesn't have to. Let me ask you again, this time even more directly.
Are you willing to have a women carry to term a child that was forced on her via rape? Is that what you want? To not let her choose to abort the fetus (before it becomes child/ grown enough/brain activity)

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you two people? I'm not going to fall into a trap of debating something with you and then you constantly shift, because it has gotten boring after all these threads.
Ah, I see the problem. You don’t quite grasp the idea of describing an argument for or against something without actually stating your personal opinion on the subject. You’re unable to divorce yourself from the issue and discuss arguments based on their merit. That explains a lot, since that’s what I asked you to do earlier - state an argument a liberal might use in favour of reducing the acceptable window for abortion. You don’t believe that, so you can’t even imagine an argument in favour of that. Makes sense, you can carry on.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]