• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My history knowledge is fine, which is why I know that the entire party swap crap is complete and utter bullshit.

Democrats haven't changed much since they fought a war to keep their black slaves, created the KKK and the came up with the Jim Crowe laws.

The party swap nonsense is just a way the Democrats are skirting reposiblity. You say they take responsibility for their racist past? Yeah, that's why they need an elaborate lie to cover their assess when its brought up, right?

Where's the lie? Do you have anything substantial to back this claim up or is this going to turn into a witch hunt? You can claim whoever is racist all you want, all you're doing is derailing the conversation because you have nothing else legitimate to add to your pro-life stance.

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ke-aim-at-efforts-to-ban-critical-race-theory

Just because, here's an article about Democrats being racist by fighting against the Republican led efforts to white wash American history by leaving out racist events over history. Just like those racist Democrats to fight racism with education.

I'm not assuming anything. Your example is not the norm.

Let's see ...

1) Don't work a minimum wage job.

2) Don't get pregnant until you are able to afford the child.

3) If you do get pregnant for any reason you have 9 months to find a job that can cover the bills.

4) Make sure the father is also working.

5) Take advantage of the low cost services and free support already established for low income people.

1. Excellent. Let's all get Masters Degrees and no one who works at McDonald's deserves to have a child. Sounds like elitism and sympathizing with employers shirking their responsibility to ensure all workers have living wages.

2. Good thing rape doesn't exist.

3. Hopefully that Technical College degree can be attained in 9 months. On top of working, doctors appointments, making sure #4 is enforced...

4. What if he dies after conception? Gets arrested? Drafted and sent overseas? What if he turns into a deadbeat and disappears? What if he beats the mother? Who can't leave because of reasons? You say you assume nothing, but you're assuming every pregnancy involves a literal Garden of Eden. If pregnancy was like that, I'd get pregnant.

5. Impossible. It's no one's responsibility to take care of the parents or their child. If they try and try and can't get on their feet, well, they shouldn't have gotten pregnant. But now that they are, they need to suffer for 18 years because they can't get on their feet and they get actively criticized when they ask for help. But none of that matters, because all life is important.

Well, until you need to orgasm. Then who cares?

It's not rocket science. It's actually pretty easy to take responsibility for the life you create you just actually have to want to do it. Shitty people bring life into this world and then abandon it or murder it. I'm not a shitty person, however the parents you're defending are utter trash. I'm not going to focus on telling strangers they need to pay the way for other peoples kids when its the responsibility of the parents to do so. If anything I'll focus on the deadbeats that refuse to work to take care of the life they brought into this world.

Except you're not focusing on the deadbeats. At all. You sit there and whine they need to do better, then chastise every choice they make. You keep trying to take a pro-life stance, but again, you're just showing your control issues.

Last edited by SyphenFreht,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wish i was aborted if i knew the world was gonna turn out to be such a ****hole and would've save me 35 years of a physical disablility/mental illness......

• Sad
Reactions: Xzi

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Where's the lie? Do you have anything substantial to back this claim up or is this going to turn into a witch hunt? You can claim whoever is racist all you want, all you're doing is derailing the conversation because you have nothing else legitimate to add to your pro-life stance.

https://www.usnews.com/news/educati...ke-aim-at-efforts-to-ban-critical-race-theory

Just because, here's an article about Democrats being racist by fighting against the Republican led efforts to white wash American history by leaving out racist events over history. Just like those racist Democrats to fight racism with education.

1. Excellent. Let's all get Masters Degrees and no one who works at McDonald's deserves to have a child. Sounds like elitism and sympathizing with employers shirking their responsibility to ensure all workers have living wages.

2. Good thing rape doesn't exist.

3. Hopefully that Technical College degree can be attained in 9 months. On top of working, doctors appointments, making sure #4 is enforced...

4. What if he dies after conception? Gets arrested? Drafted and sent overseas? What if he turns into a deadbeat and disappears? What if he beats the mother? Who can't leave because of reasons? You say you assume nothing, but you're assuming every pregnancy involves a literal Garden of Eden. If pregnancy was like that, I'd get pregnant.

5. Impossible. It's no one's responsibility to take care of the parents or their child. If they try and try and can't get on their feet, well, they shouldn't have gotten pregnant. But now that they are, they need to suffer for 18 years because they can't get on their feet and they get actively criticized when they ask for help. But none of that matters, because all life is important.

Well, until you need to orgasm. Then who cares?

Except you're not focusing on the deadbeats. At all. You sit there and whine they need to do better, then chastise every choice they make. You keep trying to take a pro-life stance, but again, you're just showing your control issues.

Instead of focusing on making excuses for bad behavior you could be focusing on how to encourage others to act responsibly. You my friend are part of why kids are abused and go hungry.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of focusing on making excuses for bad behavior you could be focusing on how to encourage others to act responsibly. You my friend are part of why kids are abused and go hungry.

What a weird twist of fate. You, someone who themselves said they don't care about children after they're born, calling me, someone who deserves society should work together so everyone can progress, a part of why kids are abused and go hungry. Even though if many of the parents in these situations could have had guilt free abortions, there would be a lot less child abuse and neglect.

If critical thinking is tough for you just say so. What comes out of your mouth (metaphorically) will be taken with more credibility afterward.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
1) Don't work a minimum wage job.
Do you hear this guy?
did you hear him
"Just don't work a minimum wage job guys, it's just that easy. It's not like a fuck ton of places still pay at or around minimum wage."
Dude, where I live, and I'm looking for another job since my boss is treating me like shit. Most jobs I'm seeing are 7.25-12.50
with about 50% of them being below 10 dollars an hour.

Just stop being depressed 4head it's just that easy

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
What a weird twist of fate. You, someone who themselves said they don't care about children after they're born, calling me, someone who deserves society should work together so everyone can progress, a part of why kids are abused and go hungry. Even though if many of the parents in these situations could have had guilt free abortions, there would be a lot less child abuse and neglect.

If critical thinking is tough for you just say so. What comes out of your mouth (metaphorically) will be taken with more credibility afterward.

Just because I don't want to raise other peoples children doesn't mean I don't care about them. I care about other peoples children as much as I care about any other person. It's just not my job to raise other peoples kids or give them money to help them raise theirs. If I want to donate I'll donate, but it should be my choice where the money goes. You seem to think because I disagree with your left wing talking point that I don't care about kids or you're just saying that to offend me, but you're wrong. I'm not the one going around making excuses for bad behavior on the parents part, which you are doing. Who's worse? The people who speak out against child neglect and abuse or the people who make excuses for it?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just because I don't want to raise other peoples children doesn't mean I don't care about them. I care about other peoples children as much as I care about any other person. It's just not my job to raise other peoples kids or give them money to help them raise theirs. If I want to donate I'll donate, but it should be my choice where the money goes. You seem to think because I disagree with your left wing talking point that I don't care about kids or you're just saying that to offend me, but you're wrong. I'm not the one going around making excuses for bad behavior on the parents part, which you are doing. Who's worse? The people who speak out against child neglect and abuse or the people who make excuses for it?
The argument is silly, and easily countered, considering it’s equivalent to “You think stabbing homeless people is wrong? If you care about them so much, you should invite them into your home, feed and clothe them”. It’s an illogical train of thought. Murder is wrong, having moral objections against stabbing homeless people is normal, and in no way denotes financial liability over the homeless. Preventing a homeless person from getting murdered does not equate to adopting them, that doesn’t logically follow. Caring about a life doesn’t transfer the responsibility for that life’s well-being - we’re not responsible for strangers. If someone operates from the position of “abortion is murder”, and murder is immoral, it is perfectly reasonable for them to object to it, and completely unreasonable to transfer liability onto them. Preventing a third-party from committing an immoral action is not equivalent to accepting liability. Whether operating from that position is reasonable or not is another matter entirely.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Except you're literally the only one who's brought up, time and again, that you're not going to pay for them, which isn't even an issue at this point, because that's not how taxes work. And even if it was, producing more children that don't get taken care of because they have terrible parents and having them supplemented with government assistance or sent to orphanages would cost more than just letting them have the abortion.

You, and others, seem to have confused "taking responsibility for others actions" with "helping to keep society progressive and life affordable through working together".

It seems like it would make more sense to attack the government for not providing its every citizen with some kind of stability rather than attacking these people who have had to make these choices.

I say you don't care about kids because you don't. It's one thing to take a specific stance in regards to another, even when situations are similar, but in this case you're fighting for the rights of a clump of cells to be born before fighting to have the children already born to have a better life. You've mentioned it several times yourself that other people's problems aren't yours to worry about, and that's fine. That's normal. But the fact that you're up in arms about taking someone's rights away because you don't like what they're doing? That sounds a little bigoted.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The only thing I am learning from this thread is that pro-lifers are just pro-forced birth, then go through hoops to justify not wanting to help when a child is forced into this world. If you don't want abortions, then support better education, support easier access to contraceptives, support social programs for families, support better parental leave for work, and support the programs that stop the need for abortions. If you don't support these programs and you want to ban abortions, then you just support outlawing safe abortions. You don't support safe abortions, you support dirty motel abortions. You don't support safe abortions, you support neglected children. You only support controlling people and abusing them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The easier everyone can get along behind the idea of desensitization, the better, huh?
It’s hard to argue from the desensitisation angle when you’re a proponent of prematurely ending human life. Now, I personally don’t care that much about the issue, and I’d be more than willing support allowing abortion (provided the guidelines are sensible), but you’ve picked a losing argument to support your case in favour of the procedure. It’s pretending that fetuses aren’t human that’s an attempt at desensitisation, not the other way around.
The only thing I am learning from this thread is that pro-lifers are just pro-forced birth, then go through hoops to justify not wanting to help when a child is forced into this world. If you don't want abortions, then support better education, support easier access to contraceptives, support social programs for families, support better parental leave for work, and support the programs that stop the need for abortions. If you don't support these programs and you want to ban abortions, then you just support outlawing safe abortions. You don't support safe abortions, you support dirty motel abortions. You don't support safe abortions, you support neglected children. You only support controlling people and abusing them.
If only they gave away medals for logical leaps, this would take the Olympic gold, for the reason I described above.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: tabzer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If only they gave away medals for logical leaps, this would take the Olympic gold, for the reason I described above.
By what means are preventative programs a problem? I don't see how my post is a leap as it addresses concerns that should be held. If someone doesn't support abortions, then they should support either means that prevent them or means that make having a child easier. If one doesn't support those programs, then they on;y support forcing life into this world and nothing else.

SyphenFreht

As above, so below
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s hard to argue from the desensitisation angle when you’re a proponent of prematurely ending human life. Now, I personally don’t care that much about the issue, and I’d be more than willing support allowing abortion (provided the guidelines are sensible), but you’ve picked a losing argument to support your case in favour of the procedure. It’s pretending that fetuses aren’t human that’s an attempt at desensitisation, not the other way around.

At what point are we pretending fetuses aren't human? At some point they become human, but far sooner than that are they "routinely" aborted, when they're nothing more than cells. Anything after that is an active refute of broadly accepted science.

The desensitization comes from people having so much access to information all the time and often without filter, to the point where abolishing basic human rights becomes a normalcy. Without going off topic, the more one sees atrocities of any form, of any severity, the more they become immune to it. Yes, the same could be said about being pro abortion, but in light of stripping away the concepts that make already established people human? I'd much rather extinguish life before it becomes sentient than take away any sense of humanization an already established sentience already has.

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some users on both sides here are taking logical leaps in your arguments, imo. I really think this boils down to where you draw the line on potential human life being present. That line can be drawn as far back as masturbation for some, 2 weeks into pregnancy, or longer for others. I think that's the main point of contention.

If we start arguing around things like media, anecdotal hot takes from "the left" or "the right" then we're just spinning our wheels.

What I'd like to read from you all is where your line on life beginning is, and why. I've always felt that it makes sense there is no baby present the beginning of a pregnancy - more of a blueprint, instead. I don't know where to draw the line from there, to be honest. I've just accepted on faith that the majority of people who are deep into this issue (I'm not) have taken the science and philosophical consensus into consideration. I'm only loosely educated on this topic.

Currently, I'm pro-choice, and that's purely from an angle that a blueprint for a potential baby does not equate to a living baby, based on what little I understand so far. I don't think the logic that the initial stage "is a baby" even holds up. If I were pro-life, I would argue that once a sperm penetrates the egg, the events of life are now set into motion. By stopping that process, you are snuffing out a human life that otherwise would be given a chance to thrive.

But, given that the early stages of pregnancy do not even guarantee a living baby, I don't personally feel it makes much sense to label that first stage as "human life" just yet.

This is coming from a 31 year old dude who has been taught the basic science around human pregnancy, some light googling, and maybe a debate or two over the years. I'm sure there's more for me to learn that would help solidify my position.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.