• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. pulling out of the INF treaty

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't really know enough about this to comment much on it, but I will say that I see where Trump is coming from as far as Russia is concerned. Seems like the treaty hasn't exactly been effective anyways.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What good is a treaty that gets violated anyways?

A lot of treaties get violated. Part of the point of treaties is to establish what a "violation" is and use it as a basis for sanctions or other actions. It's also a basis to establish a new treaty that's less likely to be violated and/or has different conditions that makes it harder to violate. Basically, your question is like asking, "What good is a law if it gets violated anyways?"

Reactions: Taleweaver

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A lot of treaties get violated. Part of the point of treaties is to establish what a "violation" is and use it as a basis for sanctions or other actions. It's also a basis to establish a new treaty that's less likely to be violated and/or has different conditions that makes it harder to violate. Basically, your question is like asking, "What good is a law if it gets violated anyways?"
Did russia receive any sanctions from their INF violations?

Reactions: guicrith

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did russia receive any sanctions from their INF violations?

A quick google, and I'd say no. It sounds like both sides say the other is in violation by having short-range missiles (or equivalents) built or tested that fall under the scope of the treaty. So, it's something of an impasse to try to use sanctions. Since the core purpose of the INF treaty was achieved back in 2001, it sounds like it would make more sense to establish a new treaty to replace the INF treaty. The real issue then is that Russia and the US aren't on good terms to establish said new treaty. Also, it would make sense to include China in the treaty.

The general issue I'd say in this instance is the same as Trump with the ACA: lots of talk of repeal but no real idea of what to replace with. The underlying need for what the INF represents is still needed. If there's no serious talk of some sort of replacement for INF or a move towards some equivalent, then it's clearly an unwise move because all removal of the treaty achieves is on paper removing "violations" without in any way removing the actual problem.

D

Deleted User

At this point, I really do think they're planning to create a 1984 world. They're gonna start ww3 and sit back as they rule their totalitarian nations.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, time to invest in bunkers, and prepare for a nuclear war! We're all going to die!

Nothing is going to happen or change at all.

Reactions: chrisrlink

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait I thought Trump was a Russian Agent of Putin? Why would he do this.
He's trying to make people think he's not a Russian agent, that plans to gas Mexicans and trans people in concentration camps. Duhh! He's going to start demanding Vancouver and Baja California. Fucking Orange Hitler.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, time to invest in bunkers, and prepare for a nuclear war! We're all going to die!

Nothing is going to happen or change at all.
historically we have come very close several times and we have been very lucky that people with nerves of steel where in charge during those incidents. I dont think humanity should keep pushing its luck

Wait I thought Trump was a Russian Agent of Putin? Why would he do this.
Russia does benefit out of this mostly believe it or not. NATO has come on record and have said they dont want to turn the temperature and place mid range stuff on their turf at this time.While Russia has said they will respond as youd expect by going in to an arms Race.

As a matter of fact Bolton apparently is scheduled to meet with NATO with an explanation for all of this.

I am no conspiracy theorist by the way. However this is not good overall

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple