• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. has no official language, so why not officialize English as the main one?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,395
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted User

OP
No president seems to care about this issue for some reason, but they should as it matters what is the language of each country. English should be the one, no argument there.

However, a few others say Spanish should be which I see their point although the majority speaks in English.

In closing, U.S. was colonized by Europeans, more specifically the British and that's how the English language came to be the one used in what's known as United States of America. Here's information about the American flags, if you want to know. Mexico was colonized by the Spaniards and thus they speak in Latin Spanish (their own version), and same for the Portuguese that colonized Brazil (they speak in Brazilian Portuguese).

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No president seems to care about this issue for some reason, but they should as it matters what is the language of each country. English should be the one, no argument there.

However, a few others say Spanish should be which I see their point although the majority speaks in English.

In closing, U.S. was colonized by Europeans, more specifically the British and that's how the English language came to be the one used in what's known as United States of America. Here's information about the American flags, if you want to know. Mexico was colonized by the Spaniards and thus they speak in Latin Spanish (their own version), and same for the Portuguese that colonized Brazil (they speak in Brazilian Portuguese).

America has had vast numbers of groups come in that speak different languages. right now English may be the predominant language, but it is not the "natural" language. to do so would ignore the history of British, french and Spanish colonization of America. to put it another way, if we standardize English in America, we should also standardize it's accent correct? Which American accent is the real accent?

Also Mexico does not have an official language. The de facto is Spanish, but Mexico has 65 indigenous languages.

Last edited by omgcat,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A good part of the population in much of the Cincinnati area (Southern Indiana/Ohio and Nothern Kentucky,) speak German, Spanish, Korean, and Japanese along with English. Growing up in the North, I found a lot of people spoke French and English, my default language growing up was French. If you start traveling deeper into the South, French and Spanish start being more popular. Different accents affect the language(s) spoken throughout the US. English might be the most commonly spoken language in the US, but it's not the default. Plus, there's literally no reason to officialize it, and doing so would be a violation of Freedom of speech. You are free to speak any language you want in the US and the government should not be allowed to say otherwise.

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well, didn't the US try to make Metric their system in the 80s, and look how that went. I think it's used by the American Government, but from what I know, most citizens don't.

D

Deleted User

OP
Well, didn't the US try to make Metric their system in the 80s, and look how that went. I think it's used by the American Government, but from what I know, most citizens don't.
from what i know, metric is actually used worldwide on the science field, even in America, just like imperial is used worldwide in woodworking

Reactions: campbell0505

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday! +1