TX Releases SX OS v1.3

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by garyopa, Jul 3, 2018.

1. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    There's not going to be emuNAND until Atmosphere (or some other open-source implementation) adds emuNAND because they're taking code from the codebase, but then they're not giving back to the (opensource) community by uploading their code changes for others to use (the way opensource is meant to work).

Edit: Removed the (opensource) qualifier, because it's not just that community they're taking from. They're taking from you as a gbatemp member, you as a gamer and hacker. They're taking your money for a small piece of about $2.00 in electronics and very small tweaks and additions to code that many others put their spare time and effort to bring to the wider community.

There is no reason that TX couldn't just comply with the license and contribute to the codebase and still make money, by selling a $2.00 product with little to no research and development cost (due to it already being done by open source devs) for say $20 or so for the dongle, and offering support to users (so they don't have to come here begging for help using SX). Bang! Everyone is happy.

Would you SX owner's pay $20 for the dongle and tech support even if you could use an open source implement for free? I as an abstainer from buying products that don't comply with OpenSource licenses would buy it all day.

Last edited by DayVeeBoi, Jul 3, 2018
  2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    So...this basically adds things that we could do with Hekate but now can do with SX OS. Don't get me wrong, its nice that they're keeping their CFW as up-to-date as possible, but the only thing that makes SX OS unique so far is still the cartridge emulation. At least let us backup our NANDS since its writing to the eMMC and who knows what its writing.

EDIT: If you can launch eShop titles with this supposedly, then that's another plus for them. Drawbacks of course is using DevMenu as well as the inevitable ban.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 3, 2018
    TheLemonLord, Ty_, EmperorX and 3 others like this.
  3. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    It is funny how they've degrading other hackers by saying tha. They're Well know tho plus have Proven themselves many times in the past

EmperorX, DayVeeBoi and scroeffie like this.
  4. bailli

bailli GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2006
    Gambia, The
    You know, there are people just interested to read a bit about reverse engineering. Why shouldn't they post their write-up now? I would still read it. Also the write-up might give a clue how "perfectly safe and reversible" the "challenge" really was...

Finally, yay for even more stolen code without a single line of credit - even omitting the fact that this is a GPL violation.

EDIT: Also the battery fix is a complete joke - considering their "advice" about it two weeks ago, with months old information. And suddenly when there is an open source solution SX OS implements a "similar" feature...

Last edited by bailli, Jul 3, 2018
  5. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Guessing next update shave game dumping support.

6. FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask GbaTemp's Official Deity

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Above All Others
    Atmosphere is open source. Doesn't that mean they can use it? Do they have to credit it or something?

Last edited by FierceDeityLinkMask, Jul 3, 2018
    Wrathcaster likes this.
  7. YigglyPoof

YigglyPoof GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2016
    United States
    Common SX, just add emunand already. No way in hell I’m updating and losing the potential to have coldboot/warmboot.

8. ultramario1998

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Amazing how they're trying to spin brick code as a good thing.

Also, please credit the ppl whose code you're stealing kthx ^_^

ANTONIOPS, Pluupy, Samus20XX and 7 others like this.
  9. YigglyPoof

Oct 8, 2016
    United States
    If they steal their open source code, they should at least give them some credit, and not completely break their license.

10. FierceDeityLinkMask

FierceDeityLinkMask GbaTemp's Official Deity

Jul 29, 2016
    United States
    Above All Others
    So they don't have to, it's just good taste? I really don't know.

Sp1tFire92 and YigglyPoof like this.
  11. lukhart

lukhart GBAtemp Stand User

May 10, 2018
    Brazil
    Hekate can launch NSP files already? Didn't know about it. I agree that SX is basically a backup launcher CFW at this point, but for now it cover my needs until Atmo.

12. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Being open source doesn't mean you can do anything you want with it, you must follow the license attached.

antiNT, AdamFX990, Quantumcat and 4 others like this.
  13. ultramario1998

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    What it is is illegal. Also douchey.

AdamFX990 and TheLemonLord like this.
  14. snails1221

snails1221 GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    snails1221 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 10, 2015
    United States
    Anonville
    I assume you pray to your lord and savior kate temkin every night

15. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2017
    Spain
  16. bailli

bailli GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2006
    Gambia, The
    No it is an punishable offense. But considering prosecution is basically impossible giving credit is the least they could do...

17. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Again, opensource does not mean anyone can do whatever they want with your code.

https://itsfoss.com/open-source-licenses-explained/

Subtle Demise likes this.
  18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Neither can launch .NSP. TX is saying you can install them via DevMenu which is the same way you do it on Hekate. If TX can patch the sig checks for launching them, then they'll have a leg up on Atmosphere.

EDIT: I just realized they said launching too. At the very least, they don't recommend normal users to be using it (due to how not user-friendly DevMenu is + ban risk).

Last edited by Draxzelex, Jul 3, 2018
    Subtle Demise and lukhart like this.
  19. Jaimy

Jaimy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2016
    United States
    This is amazing support.

Btw how the hell are they bypassing ticket protection of NSPs? I though it was impossible without sigpatching?

20. YigglyPoof

Oct 8, 2016
    United States
    At this point, he doesn’t even work on it anymore. He works on it so little that he removed he name from the credits.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted