1. lukands

lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Watching the video I was expecting the hand with the red painted finger nails, :rofl2:

John1990, Sammy_Lee and peteruk like this.
  2. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Australia
    Good point on the various teams which used to have respect for each other - whilst I might be one of the younger people in the scene (Didn't start modding until late in the ps2 life) - I tend to agree with you that while there was taunting of the teams, that taunting pushed them to further themselves and what they were doing at the time.

I personally don't care what CFW someone uses, I'll try to help them out if they need help and I'm able. (I've used all three of the major players).

If this is legitimate I see it as nothing more than a way to further the scene. I just wish it was less toxic though

DayVeeBoi, Switch_Maniac and peteruk like this.
  3. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Camping in the park or drinking from the river would be fine. Creating your own campground in the park and charging people to use it or creating a bottled-water factory that draws from the river would be stealing. You'd be using public resources for private enterprise without the permission of the local government, effectively stealing from the entire populace of the area.

yimejky and ghjfdtg like this.
  4. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Any bad feeling that you choose to have will only affect you, TX will continue regardless. What is the point of that?

People who have had their code copied without abiding by the license can try to sue TX if they want, but it's probably going to be hard as if it's easy then Nintendo would have stopped them by now.

Source code released under the GPL isn't free of restrictions, if you don't pay the cost of those restrictions (i.e. release your source code) then you haven't entered into the agreement that allows you to copy it. If you haven't entered into the agreement, then copying it is a violation of copyright law

Last edited by smf, Dec 29, 2019
  5. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    The only possible upcoming hardware revision that we have any evidence of existing is (currently) using Mariko (MarikoCalcio, partial support for which was added in 9.0.0, nothing is currently known about it besides that fact that it uses Mariko currently).
    (Not hating on anything here, just pointing this out)

Switch_Maniac and peteruk like this.
  6. mixelpixx

mixelpixx hardware monkey

United States
    You guys love moving goal posts. Once you split the atom, you dont get to decide what people do with it. And frankly, the fucking balls on someone who is "hacking" their console to complain about stolen code.. please.

So much talent in this scene, but waaaaayy too much ego.

7. PedroxBest

PedroxBest Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Sadly, it's modchip

8. PedroxBest
    This message by PedroxBest has been removed from public view by Chary, Dec 30, 2019.
    Dec 30, 2019
  9. BaamAlex

BaamAlex CVE-2018-6242

Germany
    Read this from a user from a german forum xD

Translated: When I watch the video, I can't get rid of the feeling that not everything is true. It looks like the device is screwed to the table top. So you could take an unpatched board and this with the display / digit. connect the lite. The connections are the same ... why are we not shown e.g. a patched serial number from the system settings and why Sushi Striker from 2018? This also works under 4.1.0

I could cry :rofl2:

Attached Files:

10. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just curious how much is the modchip?

11. smilodon

smilodon GBAtemp Regular

France
  12. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    $3000 /s

13. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I see a lot of false dichotomies being thrown around. The ethics of hacking and open source communities is not straight forward and those not contributing to or being highly engaged in rarely have the insight needed to comprehend.

It's like expecting a freshman in his first math class to Ace honors calculus finals. Most of the people engaging here are end users who don't contribute anything back other than your opinions and perhaps some economic voting with your wallet. You've not applied years of your academic labor into community building tools or projects ....

Coming here for a deep discussion of software engineerong ethics is like going to a car show to talk about your latest knitting techniques.

The guy who pointed out the irony of talking about ethics on a console hacking forum has it half right. It's not that there isn't a vibrant diverse field of professionals and academics contributing specialized labor....it's that 99.9999999% of the participants are literally not. So yeah...trying to talk about hacking ethics in a community filled with ethic lacking pirates is surely not a place to find valuable information. But yes there are a few with a lot of experience and knowledge. It's just whether the end users are minimally educated enough to even know the difference.

The developers are always the most knowledgeable. But someone writing a Java app or a simple C++ port are very different from security researchers versed in cryptography. Like minors vs majors.

You guys are extremely lucky that anyone bothers to give insight at all. Most don't even bother due to the toxic pointlessness of engaging on forums like these!

TX has done some good. But several million good? If it's a Zero sum game then I would rather see this as a fair technocracy where those most experienced are awarded dividend consistent with their efforts. The atmosphere project has contributed at least 95% of the "heavy lifting" in regards to the under the hood framework that allows everything we do.

That's way more valuable than the tiny contributions that a cloning company has done. They have done that for commercial activity that ironically prioritized towards piracy.

The reason we should care is because culture is built upon reinforced actions or defiance. It's almost a nihilististic attitude to have "I don't care what they do because that's just the way it is". No....that's called apathy and it sucks your such a dead person inside. We must stand up for right and wrong because the more that do the more likely we will see positive reinforcement.

TX can do what tx does with the respect. They just chose not to and to lie instead. That's ethically wrong regardless of the way you feel. I have seen this same issue crop up in many (if not all) industries because this is a basic human abstraction.

They can choose to build with positive culture by reinforcing good actions. It's not that they sell shit. It's that they lie about doing the work.....and sell others work under a false pretense. That's fucked and if you don't think so you're fucked.

Attribution is simple. Y'all just want to throw mud to abstract the conversation. Giving credit is a basic premise that holds much of society together. Fighting against that is straight retarded.

LightBeam, yimejky, ghjfdtg and 5 others like this.
  14. 2Hack

2Hack HYPiavelli

Canada
    smells like gateway's soon and around the corner hype. this site probably ddosed the gateway website server multiple times with the amount of drama and speculation and pure refreshes.

Lilith Valentine and zoogie like this.
  15. Switch_Maniac

Switch_Maniac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good to know. I was just thinking that any exploit that Nintendo would plug after this comes out, is probably already plugged in a bigger Switch redesign, not something like when they went from the hackable Switch to the ipatched to the Mariko. While those of course had hardware changes, there was no other really be redesign. Just my thought though haha. No one will really know if any exploits get plugged after this until Nintendo release new hardware.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Cool. Obviously not a great example on my part and I forgot people here like to dissect everything people post. Wasn't aware TX creating their own Switch scene within the Switch scene and forced anyone to buy their product that they stole from the Switch scene.

Feelings are great, but don't really mean anything when it comes to this stuff. How exactly would you connect an OG board and screen to a Lite Shell and also have the buttons work? Have you seen both Switch's apart? There are pics in this exact thread.

Well the change has to start somewhere right? Maybe lets stop filling up SX threads with the same shit all the time so they get closed and then people won't have to "defend" them as everyone put's it just cause they call out BS. It happens on both sides. I'm sure there are plenty of TX users who do the same thing in the Atmo threads. I don't really follow them much myself and wouldn't go there just to start shit either.

16. OneAngryGamer
    This message by OneAngryGamer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  17. Legend Of Kay
    This message by Legend Of Kay has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  18. Switch_Maniac
    This message by Switch_Maniac has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  19. mrjoshuaco
    This message by mrjoshuaco has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  20. tjexp

tjexp Happy New Year!

All these threads turn into a nice source of drama :D

21. Switch_Maniac

Switch_Maniac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unfortunately. I may have contributed to some :(, but some people take it to another level.....

tjexp likes this.
  22. OneAngryGamer
    This message by OneAngryGamer has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  23. Switch_Maniac
    This message by Switch_Maniac has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  24. mrjoshuaco
    This message by mrjoshuaco has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  25. OneAngryGamer
    Dec 30, 2019
  26. tjexp

tjexp Happy New Year!

As much as I find this funny and all, you guys should tone down the insults and get back on topic :D

Most we can do now is wait and see

Cyberfalcon and Switch_Maniac like this.
  27. Om3Ga1337

Om3Ga1337 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    What does it mean? Switch Lites can be hacked from now on? And what about the v2 Switches with better battery?

28. mathew77

mathew77 Lovin' life.

Kazakhstan
    It means all we have right now is just the Youtube teaser. The only time will tell.

29. OneAngryGamer
    This message by OneAngryGamer has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Dec 30, 2019, Reason: Thread cleanup.
    Dec 30, 2019
  30. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Australia
    It was likely they were initially working on this prior to fusee been found/released so meh

31. Javierme

Javierme Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Great News, I hope it can be released on new Year's Eve, but I found the Flashcarda site said sx os 3.0.0 will release In January,confused:unsure:

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Running, Switch, Demos