1. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    @garyopa do you know if they send the testing modchip via fast shipping ? Or regular?

2. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    I agree

3. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Only difference between unpatched and patched consoles is like two bootrom CPU instructions and some data stored in fuses, it really shouldn’t matter.
    And allowing unpatched systems would actually give them the benefit of being able to have people test it on reeeeally old boards ;)

4. SommaCruz
    This message by SommaCruz has been removed from public view by linuxares, Feb 11, 2020, Reason: Lets not start a flamewar already.
    Feb 11, 2020
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    "Grab a Corona and a SX LITE or SX CORE Pre-Production Unit!"

Yeah uhh... I think I'll pass.
    In AVGN's voice: What were they thinking??

But seriously, that's in super bad taste. Nothing against the product, but it's not funny, some people are still worried about getting free Corona with their online order...

6. matias3ds

matias3ds GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Well Im waiting for some AliExpress products to arrive , I don't think that China government Will allow that if it's not secure that it can't be contagious trough packages , let's not over react

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    double standards ? so when others rip off TX it's competition but when TX steal code they are hated :unsure:

gizmomelb, DbGt and nantalos like this.
  8. Metalik

Metalik GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    WHO had told people numerous times that this virus only lives for like 2 days max outside of the body. So even if someone infected spits on your box, it'll be nasty but completely safe by the time it arrives

9. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/victor...for-up-to-nine-days-on-surfaces/#1f27dee214e3

matias3ds likes this.
  10. nachuz

nachuz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Chile
    I would love my friend to use this modchip, but he's too scared of modding his switch because mine got banned, even though if it was because I modded it before the first ban wave, meaning that I got banned when there was literally no protection against bans :[
    Any ideas to convince him?

11. cutterjohn

cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm assuming sarcasm(and for others), but just in case Corona is a brand of Mexican beer... possibly an unfortunately named brand now... a pretty godawful brand at that...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(beer)

To the guy whinging about regular unpatched, yeah, why bother with a modchip? Plus since it's already hackable, from TX POV again WTF bother with those? That's not their TRUE target, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it doesn't work on those, although I seriously doubt that that will be the case.

Time to go buy a Mariko now... (I already have a used unpatched, probably needs a new battery which I haven't bothered to do, but newer mfg node -> lower power, better battery life, more OCing(maybe), plus it'd be NEW... but I'm going to wait and see how this goes, and what sort of installation method they use... soldered, I'm going to order mariko + installed modchip from a reseller... kind of regretting ponying up for the ice giant pro siphon now... and 3950x...

Last edited by cutterjohn, Feb 11, 2020
  12. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Who are "known trusted scene members" in this case, are they referring to the people developing CFW and homebrew for the Switch? Or scene release groups? It seems like a bit of an arbitrary way to weed out those who are just after free stuff, or the ones who don't have the skill level since knowing a homebrew developer or someone in a scene group doesn't necessarily mean you know your stuff and there are probably many that know their stuff that don't have the right contacts and TX will just ignore them.

But I understand that they have to take some measures to avoid people like that since if you don't know what you're doing you could end up breaking your console, and they need people that will actually be helpful in beta testing, and homebrew developers are likely to know a few people that have helped in beta testing their software that might be of help, so it does make some sense.

To anyone that is considering emailing them, the restrictions they listed in the bullet points are there for a reason, if you don't meet all those requirements, you're probably not the right person for the job. And also, especially important is the part about having the required skills. If you've never worked on something this small, you might not realize how easy it is to break something and ruin your Switch.
    They didn't sound 100% sure though, so I dunno. Can't help but worry a little even though it's probably fine.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Feb 11, 2020
    DeoNaught likes this.
  13. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well ... Im not one of them.
    I'll keep an eye out on how all of this works out. Good luck testers and Team Xecuter
    But besides that ... Im good when it comes to my Switches!

14. JonJaded

JonJaded GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds pretty cool. Hope to see an install guide from someone. (Hopefully they're allowed to share.)

15. designgears

designgears GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They're allowed to share pics and videos.

16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Sweden
    Stealing from pirates = Chaotic good
    Stealing from hobbiest and earning money of it = Chaotic evil

People only have issues with it, is because they steal stuff, claim it as their own and sell it. See the difference? :P

17. Metalik

Metalik GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Millions of people are buying stuff from AliExpress and there have been 0 cases of someone getting the virus through post.

Anyways, on the point of this thread. I'm excited. Say what you want about TX, but they are a capable team that isn't just "reskinning Atmosphere". This news is great and it feels like the right time to pickup a Switch Lite

nachodorito likes this.
  18. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    I am definitely interested in seeing how difficult it is to install one. They say it's easy, but I've seen the inside of Switches, and everything is so small and cramped that if you don't have a steady hand, you can far too easily mess it up. And anyone interested in ordering one should definitely hold off until some pictures of the actual install process are posted.

They said in the post "Not that Corona we love to abuse on Saturday's night, but this unfortunate virus that is actually blocking a big part of China beside also being a human drama." so they definitely weren't referring to the beer, it just comes off as a poorly thought out joke, especially at this time.
    I know, but still, it's in super bad taste to make a joke like that at a time like this.

19. Metalik

Metalik GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Seeing how the team is at least partially in China, I think it's good that they are in good spirits

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  20. cutterjohn

cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just going by the quote in the OP HERE. Zero mention of corona, so I was stumped, but... only saw the two posts on page 2 mentioning corona...

OK had to go to maxconsole or wherever and then the link to the TX site for the original? Nothing wrong with their corona mention there IMO... it's truth. Sort of like Kia and Hyundai plants shutting down because of it(or more specifically lack of parts sourced in China... that's what single sourcing gets ya, andf limited on hand supplies...))

Oh yeh, WHO wants to rename it covid19 now...

Last edited by cutterjohn, Feb 11, 2020
  21. SommaCruz

SommaCruz Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    That is good news.

Milenko likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announces, testing, phase