TX Announces revolutionary update to SX OS v2.0 with 'EmuNAND' and more

Team-Xecuter has been quiet since v6.0.0 officially rolled out for the Nintendo Switch last week, but they are back with this time an amazing revolutionary update to their SX OS
SXOS20.jpg

And you may ask why is it 'revolutionary', well because for first time a CFW for the Switch contains 'EmuNAND', just like back in the days of the 3DS scene, so check out their official PR announcement below:
Hello friends! Team Xecuter is happy to bring you the official 2.0 release of your beloved SX OS.

A lot has happened since the initial release of SX OS a few months ago. This is far from a simple proof of concept custom firmware anymore. With this major update we bring some exciting new functionality to the table. We suggest you grab a beverage of your choice and read on to learn more!
  • EmuNAND
Lets start with the major new feature in 2.0: EmuNAND.

Those who have a background in the Nintendo 3DS hacking scene know what this is, but let's quickly elaborate for those of you who are new to the game:

The Switch uses a NAND Flash storage chip to store all of the system software, as well as your save games and other assets. With EmuNAND we create a shadow copy of this storage from which you can run SX OS. The benefits from doing this are that you keep your SX OS "world" separated from your original firmware. This also means you can keep your switch on an older firmware, while running the latest and greatest firmware inside of your EmuNAND. As we all know, older is better.. when it comes to defeating system security at least. And newer is better when it comes to enjoying the latest content! :)

Another upside of consolidating your SX OS usage from your original firmware usage is vastly reducing the risk of a network ban. You can run SX OS in EmuNAND, of course with our Stealth Mode enabled, and anything that is littered on the EmuNAND's filesystem is not visible to the switch in Original Firmware mode.

One thing to note is that SX OS EmuNAND works a bit differently compared to what some of you might think of as "traditional" EmuNAND where the entire NAND is copied to a separate partition on the MicroSD card. With SX OS EmuNAND your EmuNAND partition lives inside of your regular NAND. The primary reason for this is that occupying 32GB of a MicroSD card is a bit wasteful. The secondary reason is by utilizing the existing flash storage we can guarantee performance and reliability.

You can set up EmuNAND by booting into the SX OS boot menu (hold Volume + during boot) and going into the revamped "Options" menu. There you will find a section called EmuNAND which will guide you through the setup. By default SX OS will allocate 15GB for your EmuNAND partition. If you want to use a different size hit the "advanced" button before creating your EmuNAND.

SX OS will boot into EmuNAND by default if it finds a valid EmuNAND partition. If you don't want to boot into EmuNAND, there's a button in the SX OS Boot menu which will allow you to continue booting with EmuNAND disabled.
  • NAND Dumping, Restoring, GPT Repair
As mentioned in the previous section we have revamped our SX OS boot menu's option screen quite a bit. For the tinkerers and advanced users we introduced an easy method of dumping/restoring your NAND flash storage. Another neat addition for people who had an unhappy accident while playing with their NAND is the "GPT Repair" option. This will repair your NAND's partition table if you ever need to. Again, this functionality is for advanced users who know what they're doing only. Please be cautious when using this functionality.
  • LayeredFS working on 6.0
With our (early) support for 6.0 we introduced a regression where "LayeredFS" would no longer work. This has been corrected and you can now enjoy your game modifications/hacks again on the latest official firmware.
  • Homebrew NSP Compatibility
We got word that the community has started distributing homebrew titles as NSP files recently. These NSP files cut some corners in the way they are crafted, but we decided to introduce support to make them usable with SX OS anyway. So you can now enjoy your favorite homebrew titles that comes as installable NSP files and launch them directly from the home screen!
  • Closing Words
Whew, we're sorry for the wall of text. We tried to keep things as concise and easy to understand as possible. SX OS 2.0 is a big and important update, but certainly won't be the last. We know you're all waiting for even more functionality that is in high demand. Rest assured, we work as fast as we can to scrap these items off of the bucket list and bring them to you, the loyal end user, as fast as we can!

Enough chit-chat, you can update to SX OS 2.0 right *now* by using the built-in updater if you are running SX OS 1.9 or higher. Otherwise head to our website and grab a copy! Enjoy!

--< Team-Xecuter - Rocking the Switch in 2018 and beyond! >--​

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

realjumy

Woooosh!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok i got your point but... being open source or not but not releasing it, wasteful. When i talk about the scene, i talk about the scene releases, we can talk about something we can't test. I mean, having a cure to cancer but not releasing it is almost like not having a cure at all.
It's not the same. And think better before comparing cancer with having free access to games, dude.

Also, can you think of looking for a job in the industry and being your name related to someone that helped enormously to piracy?

Reactions: DReaMoR

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it only supports NEW .NSP
you mean the legal NSP ? the one not using nintendo's leaked SDK ?
maybe nsp using copyrighted code could be re-created using the new tool, isn't it easy to just do that? if old one doesn't work, re-generate the nsp to a working version. You would even benefit from being allowed to share them here.

Last edited by Cyan,

Skaidus

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I am using hekate sd files (booting everytime). I install games with tinfoil.

If i dont want to use online, is this recommended? I mean can I install nsp games and be ALWAYS sure that games will work like 3ds without worrying about the sd files and the firmware's console

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am using hekate sd files (booting everytime). I install games with tinfoil.

If i dont want to use online, is this recommended? I mean can I install nsp games and be ALWAYS sure that games will work like 3ds without worrying about the sd files and the firmware's console

If you don't want to use online you're better off using the free alternatives like ReiNX or RajNX. And you will ALWAYS have to worry about the system's OFW

maiksonstrife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This hating on TX is getting too nonsense.

First, people try to clean files, logs, get SD card off, trying to keep unannbed using other hacking tools hoping they'll be undetected.

TX releases a new tool just like any other in the scene, no-one really knows how Nintendo detect system works, it's really a new research tool, and no, there's nothing like this on discord, and the code left on atmo Emunand was said officially by atmosphere devs that was garbage in his time, a very incomplete and unusable code the way it is by now, and for months haven't gotten any major update on this subject, so stop saying it is just another copy-paste from TX because it's a bit ridiculous, just like saying XCI is easy to do, perhaps it's months old and there's nothing on discord, nothings on the scene, to run XCI just like the sysnand partition by now

Last edited by maiksonstrife,

chest0r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't. Several features are still broken with 6.0. Maybe they should focus on fixing that first
LayeredFS is broken in 6.0.0 and homebrew NSP is indeed supported but it only supports NEW .NSP

But TX Said:
With our (early) support for 6.0 we introduced a regression where "LayeredFS" would no longer work. This has been corrected and you can now enjoy your game modifications/hacks again on the latest official firmware.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
you mean the legal NSP ? the one not using nintendo's leaked SDK ?
maybe nsp using copyrighted code could be re-created using the new tool, isn't it easy to just do that? if old one doesn't work, re-generate the nsp to a working version. You would even benefit from being allowed to share them here.

I'm referring to homebrew .NSP. And i don't know how easy it is or not

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But TX Said:

Well apparently that's not working as intended

Reactions: tiliarou

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
end users don't have to worry, I'm sure the developers who created the nsp using leaked sdk will (eventually? necessarily ?) release new compatible nsp.
there's no reason to keep releasing files you can't share and have to keep hidden to everyone when there's now a viable alternative.

either new nsp will be released, either TX will update their OS to support leaked sdk created nsp. in both cases, you have to wait. patience is always good in hacking, people shouldn't be too hasty to try new things, let people test and report. everything is still new, it'll become more stable with time.

Last edited by Cyan,

Ita54_2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update from EMUNAND wont work test give me error and Reboot to EMUNAND Stop with the same error
I delete it again
Firmware Update from 5.1 to 6

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for most SX OS users this update is basically worthless, because their NAND is already full of telemetry that will get them banned, right?
For new SX OS buyers it is a good method of trying to keep their NAND clean and hope Big N will not notice!

So all we (old users) gain from SX OS 2.0 is FW 6.0 support, isn't it?

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
So for most SX OS users this update is basically worthless, because their NAND is already full of telemetry that will get them banned, right?
For new SX OS buyers it is a good method of trying to keep their NAND clean and hope Big N will not notice!

So all we (old users) gain from SX OS 2.0 is FW 6.0 support, isn't it?
This makes your chances of being banned even higher.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I have tested the devmenu nsp/xci formats but unfortunately they still do not work on 6.0, it's a shame but I'm sure they can be fixed? I red someone mentioned about autorcm not working but it works fine for me.

Chevanton1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I read all the posts in this thread but I don’t understand one thing:

I update to 2.0, I install EmuNAND... then?
By this, can I to play offline (XCI or NSP) and then switch back to OFW without leaving traces?
I mean, I keep OFW for original games and online, the EmuNAND for others ... without mixing up them and risk ban for logs?

Thank you

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have tested the devmenu nsp/xci formats but unfortunately they still do not work on 6.0 but I'm sure they can be fixed somehow? I red someone mentioned about autorcm not working but it works fine for me.

I think a brand new .NSP version of Devmenu would have to be created. I have a feeling that a hidden feature of the 6.0 update was to block Devmenu from working alltogether. In the meantime, tinfoil still works just fine

Reactions: Reecey

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If you've stuck to XCIs only then you seem to be clean still, although messing with this "emunand" will surely end that.

Reactions: naddel81

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I think a brand new .NSP version of Devmenu would have to be created. I have a feeling that a hidden feature of the 6.0 update was to block Devmenu from working alltogether. In the meantime, tinfoil still works just fine
It seems Nintendo put a block on the devmenu somehow but would be great to see some new nsp builds in the wild they would be very useful on the menu. Agreed I am using tinfoil at the moment it works well I'm not sure if tx fixed the nsp installer they never mentioned it?

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I have tested the devmenu nsp/xci formats but unfortunately they still do not work on 6.0, it's a shame but I'm sure they can be fixed? I red someone mentioned about autorcm not working but it works fine for me.
Could you test devmenu using layeredfs on 6.0? I'm wondering if that would work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.