Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 748,463
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MarioKartFan

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria

Just press Y+B to pull up the list of available patches. Then move the cursor to Redshift and press A. If you want you can play with the redshift settings by again pressing Y+B (otherwise it will use Sono’s default settings). Then press B to return to the main menu and press start to run the patcher.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@Sono Hi I have a question regarding one and that is changing the screen filter. I don't seem to find any instructions expect some post about use the button Y+B which dosent seem to work. It would be awesome if you could explain or guide me a little bit.

The UI is very slow. Hold Y for one second, then hold B for one second, then release both.

The Redshift control panel is accessible after turning the patch on.

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
The UI is very slow. Hold Y for one second, then hold B for one second, then release both.

The Redshift control panel is accessible after turning the patch on.
Another question I can see that the patch is on I think through I am getting the widescreen however getting that redshift menu. Where can I find the instructions for that patch

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
IMO "Press B for a second while holding Y to open the secret menus" would be more clear to the final user.

But it's implemented in a way such that Y has to be already held before holding B, otherwise it won't work.

Another question I can see that the patch is on I think through I am getting the widescreen however getting that redshift menu. Where can I find the instructions for that patch

I have no idea what you meant by that.

Widescreen is not configurable, so it's on or off.

If you need Redshift, go to it, hold A a few times until it has an x next to Redshift, then configure Redshift by pressing Y+B from the patch menu. After setting up redshift, press A and B to go back and save settings.

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
But it's implemented in a way such that Y has to be already held before holding B, otherwise it won't work.

I have no idea what you meant by that.

Widescreen is not configurable, so it's on or off.

If you need Redshift, go to it, hold A a few times until it has an x next to Redshift, then configure Redshift by pressing Y+B from the patch menu. After setting up redshift, press A and B to go back and save settings.
i am not 100% sure if i have the patched correctly since i have followed this instruction https://github.com/ahezard/twl_firm_patcher

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this becomes a double post but I have tried with holding the A button for about 30 sec but nothing seems to happening

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nvm issue got solved apperently my version was to old. Since I couldn't find the newest version of the patcher xD. I feel so silly

Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Did the latest build break un-start?

I did not test, but it has no reason to break...

...although now that you mention it, I have a feeling the anti-wear patch is interfering with un-START, because anti-wear patches MVN r0, r0 to some junk CMN instruction, but the anti-wear patches it to MVN r0, r7 which causes the un-START patch to miss it.

Good catch!

Last edited by Sono,

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is it safe for me to run an older version of the patcher right now or should I wait for a bugfix on un-start that retains the antiwear patch?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is it safe for me to run an older version of the patcher right now or should I wait for a bugfix on un-start that retains the antiwear patch?

You can disable the anti-wear patch from the patch menu, just enable "no default patches" to unlock it from being forced on enabled.

I don't want to force things, but pretty sure you can use the latest patcher with anti-wear just disabled. Also, current patcher is better, because it has a bugfixed GPU scaling for both GBA and/or widescreen.

Last edited by Sono,
Reactions: Stellar

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
If I reenable the antiwear patch after applying un-start will it break it again?

I made an instruction matching collision, meaning that there are two (or more) patches which rely on an instruction being as-is, so the one which patches earlier (anti-wear) will make later ones (like un-START) fail at pattern matching.

Don't worry, use the un-START patch, and keep the anti-wear patch disabled :P

Reactions: Stellar

Larsenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Sorry if this has been explained before, but is the GBA scaling automatically aplied with de DS mode patch or are there additional steps to enable it?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Sorry if this has been explained before, but is the GBA scaling automatically aplied with de DS mode patch or are there additional steps to enable it?

Nope, AgbBg patches are hidden behind a keycombo (Y) being held when starting TWPatcher because TWL_FIRM is a lot harder to reimplement due to its complexity, and there already being a homebrew AGB_FIRM replacement (as in, separate, non-installable) being developed named open_agb_fiirm, which I actually do use.

Larsenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nope, AgbBg patches are hidden behind a keycombo (Y) being held when starting TWPatcher because TWL_FIRM is a lot harder to reimplement due to its complexity, and there already being a homebrew AGB_FIRM replacement (as in, separate, non-installable) being developed named open_agb_fiirm, which I actually do use.

Are there any advantages of using open_agb_firm aside from scaling vs the original firmware on the 3DS? I've looked for the info in the GitHub page and there seems to be some issues in certain scenarios (Save type detection may still fail for certain games using EEPROM, 64 MiB (512 mbit) games not supported)

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Are there any advantages of using open_agb_firm aside from scaling vs the original firmware on the 3DS? I've looked for the info in the GitHub page and there seems to be some issues in certain scenarios (Save type detection may still fail for certain games using EEPROM, 64 MiB (512 mbit) games not supported)

Save detection issues aside it's a big plus for me that I don't need PC tools to create and install GBA VC cias.

Also, only up to 32M ROMs are supported because that's a hardware design limit, and only GBA Video titles had a mapper in them.
As for EEPROM, most are supported IN HARDWARE, but it's not working because automatic save detection fails.

Last edited by Sono,

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pardon me please, what exactly is "un-START" and where can I read about it?
Toggling this patch boots TWL_FIRM (DS mode) and, if you use the secret menu, AGB_FIRM (GBA mode) with their native resolution without having to keep START or SELECT pressed while booting, which is the default behaviour. This is good for people that want to avoid any scaling whatsoever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt