Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 745,470
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Welp... it turns out I triggered some anti- buffer-overflow code in the kernel, which caused it to intentionally crash to prevent any "accidental" attacks against its code loader. And I tested, and the patcher works, yay!

Code compression takes a whopping 6minutes on old3DS, so make sure you only press START when you're really sure you selected the right kernel. On new3DS it should be slightly faster.

The code uses pure CPU rendering due to full-blown matrix hardware emulation, so it's going to be awfully slow, and thus unresponsive. YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTONS INSTEAD OF JUST TAPPING THEM.

The menu disappears after a few seconds if you don't press any buttons. This is intentional, so you can see the result on BOTH the top AND bottom screens.
You can keep the menu up by holding LEFT or RIGHT.

Keep holding X to temporarily switch to Nintendo's default filter. Releasing X will switch it back to the highlighted one. You can use this to check the scaling mode back and forth for visible comparison before applying.

I accidently broke the ability to switch out test images with the Y button, so I removed it for this release, because I already wasted a lot of time with the compressor. If I won't forget to fix it then the next release will allow you to switch test images with Y.

Once you press START there is no going back. You can only cancel the compression by holding down the power button. DO NOT CANCEL WHEN THERE IS A SMALL AMOUNT LEFT!

Hold SELECT to exit.

Actually not. I hope you read the above, because it contains important information!

If you read it all then congrats, you can click here to download the cia :)
You didn't read, did you?

Just tried the patcher, and for some reason any patching method stopped to work for me, I suspect that the culprit is the new config in TWiLightMenu ++ conflicting with the patches, because it now appears a filtering option, do yo know @Robz8 if that may be the cause?. I will roll back to earlier version so I can test properly, and thank you very much for this @Sono !:D

Reactions: Sono

Gamer90Kirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Thank you Sono!

So far my favorite two are "Sharpen test 1" and "Linear Sharpen 1"

Any suggestions from people who've tried it?

Edit: One suggestion would be to have an indicator to know if holding X registered your selection or not. I held it several times to be safe.

Last edited by Gamer90Kirby,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The download link seems to be down. Anybody got a mirror?

It should not be down. Did you try a few times? Sometimes you have to try a few times.

One suggestion would be to have an indicator to know if holding X registered your selection or not. I held it several times to be safe.

Even on old3DS you don't have to hold it for more than one second. On new3DS it's almost instant.

Also, I'm bad at UI design, so I don't know where I would put the indicator.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so do you plan to integrate this into TWiLightMenu++ or should we all just use this?
Yeah, just use this.

For TWLMenu++, I plan on having widescreen used for certain games with a widescreen cheat from here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/widescreen-cheats-for-ds-games-on-3ds.543212/

@Sono Speaking of widescreen, once you get that working, I would like to request something.
After selecting the scaling filter from the list, after the "TwlBg.cxi" is made in "sysmodules" folder, have a widescreen version with the same filter selected, made at "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg" and call it "Widescreen.cxi", so TWiLight Menu++ can switch between the regular and widescreen versions at anytime, for games that have a widescreen cheat.

Reactions: ElderC and Raylight

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Yeah, just use this.

For TWLMenu++, I plan on having widescreen used for certain games with a widescreen cheat from here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/widescreen-cheats-for-ds-games-on-3ds.543212/

@Sono Speaking of widescreen, once you get that working, I would like to request something.
After selecting the scaling filter from the list, after the "TwlBg.cxi" is made in "sysmodules" folder, have a widescreen version with the same filter selected, made at "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg" and call it "Widescreen.cxi", so TWiLight Menu++ can switch between the regular and widescreen versions at anytime, for games that have a widescreen cheat.

I could try somehow integrating it, but then old3DS users would have to wait 12minutes :/

Skidd

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It should not be down. Did you try a few times? Sometimes you have to try a few times.

Even on old3DS you don't have to hold it for more than one second. On new3DS it's almost instant.

Also, I'm bad at UI design, so I don't know where I would put the indicator.

My connection times out regardless of how many times I try to download it. Doesn't work with other browsers or download managers either.

D

Deleted User

Welp... it turns out I triggered some anti- buffer-overflow code in the kernel, which caused it to intentionally crash to prevent any "accidental" attacks against its code loader. And I tested, and the patcher works, yay!

Code compression takes a whopping 6minutes on old3DS, so make sure you only press START when you're really sure you selected the right kernel. On new3DS it should be slightly faster.

The code uses pure CPU rendering due to full-blown matrix hardware emulation, so it's going to be awfully slow, and thus unresponsive. YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTONS INSTEAD OF JUST TAPPING THEM.

The menu disappears after a few seconds if you don't press any buttons. This is intentional, so you can see the result on BOTH the top AND bottom screens.
You can keep the menu up by holding LEFT or RIGHT.

Keep holding X to temporarily switch to Nintendo's default filter. Releasing X will switch it back to the highlighted one. You can use this to check the scaling mode back and forth for visible comparison before applying.

I accidently broke the ability to switch out test images with the Y button, so I removed it for this release, because I already wasted a lot of time with the compressor. If I won't forget to fix it then the next release will allow you to switch test images with Y.

Once you press START there is no going back. You can only cancel the compression by holding down the power button. DO NOT CANCEL WHEN THERE IS A SMALL AMOUNT LEFT!

Hold SELECT to exit.

Actually not. I hope you read the above, because it contains important information!

If you read it all then congrats, you can click here to download the cia :)
You didn't read, did you?
Here is a QR code to scan with FBI in case anyone would prefer it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190712-135512_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190712-135512_Chrome.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,150

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1