Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 748,599
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
For some reason, now gyro doesn't works for me. The only thing that changed was TWiLightMenu++, I'm running a nightly, so I guess that might be it.

Gyro support is between rtcom and GBARunner2 ARM7, so TWiLightMenu++ shouldn't be able to influence it unless it touches TwlBg.cxi

Edit: I only realized the moment I posted this that forcing DS or DSi mode does affect GBARunner2's ability to detect rtcom. I remember having such problems when trying to force DSi mode on GBARunner2.

Last edited by Sono,

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Gyro support is between rtcom and GBARunner2 ARM7, so TWiLightMenu++ shouldn't be able to influence it unless it touches TwlBg.cxi

Edit: I only realized the moment I posted this that forcing DS or DSi mode does affect GBARunner2's ability to detect rtcom. I remember having such problems when trying to force DSi mode on GBARunner2.
Latest TWLM++/nds-bootstrap builds are working on making DSiWare support possible, some games are already running. So, I'll test with latest stable and see if something changes.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I was totally wrong, the culprit here was rehid. Gyro doesn't works in rehid currently, so I guess it doesn't gets initialized in 3DS mode, and when booting to TWL mode it stays that way. I'll message the dev.

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How to use the "Screen swap for DS mode"?
I looked into this and I can't find the menu that enable this or any video tutorials.
If running DS games in TWiLightMenu++ via nds-bootstrap, just press L+R+Up+X for a few seconds, and screens will swap. Depending on the game is how it'll work.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it isn't something Sono worked on, it was done on nds-bootstrap side. But I guess it's a good solution until Sono works on something like that.

Last edited by BETA215,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
How to use the "Screen swap for DS mode"?
I looked into this and I can't find the menu that enable this or any video tutorials.
If running DS games in TWiLightMenu++ via nds-bootstrap, just press L+R+Up+X for a few seconds, and screens will swap. Depending on the game is how it'll work.

EDIT: Just to clarify, it isn't something Sono worked on, it was done on nds-bootstrap side. But I guess it's a good solution until Sono works on something like that.

lol, I have no idea why I didn't add the screen swap patch yet to the menu, even though it already exists... I guess I'll do that soon

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, I have no idea why I didn't add the screen swap patch yet to the menu, even though it already exists... I guess I'll do that soon
im so hyped when your able to get the widescreen patch to be as crisp as the original 4:3 aspect ratio thats when this will truly invalidate the original size and way to play and give a major reason to own xl models good luck man

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
im so hyped when your able to get the widescreen patch to be as crisp as the original 4:3 aspect ratio thats when this will truly invalidate the original size and way to play and give a major reason to own xl models good luck man

Without extra CPU processing power (which the old3DS doesn't have) and some clever filters (which don't exist?) it's not possible to get unfiltered resolution without just downscaling it to 1:1 pixel ratio. Sorry.

zosxavius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read on reddit that you had a GBA firm patch in the works? Still happening? The GPU scaling is honestly perfect. It was a revelation. Text looks much better. I think softer is the better approach. Bilinear filtering is probably best and I suspect that's what the GPU is doing. I know GBA games look best with bilinear enabled in retroarch. Certainly better than the stock approach. Would it be possible to patch in a way that injects also work? I don't see why not. It looks like open agb firm still has a little ways to go IMO but I don't see why this couldn't be applied there as well.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current patcher can already do GPU scaling for GBA, just launch in GBA mode (hold Y? or B? while starting the program). It kind of works nicely with the widescreen option too, just a mild stretch to fill out the black bars, and the blur takes care of any artifacts.

The holy grail is still 800px wide mode though IMO. Perfect 3X horizontal integer scale that's razor sharp and zero artifacts. You can probably blur the vertical a good bunch with how sharp the horizontal will be.

zosxavius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The current patcher can already do GPU scaling for GBA, just launch in GBA mode (hold Y? or B? while starting the program). It kind of works nicely with the widescreen option too, just a mild stretch to fill out the black bars, and the blur takes care of any artifacts.

The holy grail is still 800px wide mode though IMO. Perfect 3X horizontal integer scale that's razor sharp and zero artifacts. You can probably blur the vertical a good bunch with how sharp the horizontal will be.

Nope. Not from an inject at least. I tried open agb firm again and they seem to be doing something different with the scaling. Its pretty decent. Unfortunately I can't change the brightness and I'm pretty sure a bunch of games have saving issues so it's probably best to wait for it to mature. Looking back through the comments I see that Sonos doesn't have access to the GPU in AGB mode so that would be a road block. I still think VC injects are the best solution for most games though with a way to drop back to the home menu easily and also launch from home, agb firm is going to be the future. Seems like there's a payload launcher for the home screen now so I see it's possible to make this as seamless as VC GBA injects which close home anyway.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe its a feature that got removed recently but I have GPU scaling working on my GBA injects with a .cxi generated by sono's tool. It's the only way to make GBA widescreen not look super chunky because matrix scaling is broken on one of the axes.

There's also a nice forked build on open_agb_firm that increases the brightness range and improves save compatibility, makes it so I can actually play casually with it now! Check the last page or two of the thread for more.

Reactions: zosxavius

3DSBest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo after installing this and enabling wide screen, are you supposed to ALSO apply widescreen cheats to supported games to make them render better or does it do that by itself? I can't exactly figure it out

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo after installing this and enabling wide screen, are you supposed to ALSO apply widescreen cheats to supported games to make them render better or does it do that by itself? I can't exactly figure it out
TWiLight Menu++ does it by itself, otherwise, you'll need to enable the cheats manually.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Is there any way to change the redshift settings that are used in Twilight Menu++ without repatching?

It would be possible to reconfigure it in DS mode, yes. Someone just needs to make it.
I tried to do it, but I'm no DS developer, and I failed miserably.

Reactions: Nicky P

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I don't know if the idea is mentioned before but some good scanline filter wouldn't be a better and cool solution to hide the blurriness?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't know if the idea is mentioned before but some good scanline filter wouldn't be a better and cool solution to hide the blurriness?

I don't think it's possible to implement a good quality scanline filter, let alone being able to implement it at all. The hardware is quite limited.

Reactions: BETA215

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: This song has been my latest Kero Kero Bonito obsession. It's just so chill