?
  1. Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

54 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. 66 voter(s)
  1. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    Did you enable game patches and FIRM loading in Luma config?

Also, currently you only need to recreate the files if you upgrade from like 9.x to anywhere after 9.x

Oh, and I just noticed right before pressing the post button; GPU scaling has higher priority over the filters, since you can't apply filters to GPU upscaling, since the GPU can only do linear and nearest. Since nearest is very bad due to how the GPU upscales images, there is no such patch, so you need to select between scaler filters OR GPU patch.

2. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    You applied GPU scaling, so the filters don't work.

Sono likes this.
  3. kittensauce

kittensauce Ronald Reagan

United States
    Ah, I wasn't aware game patches as well as FIRM loading had to be enabled. I only had the latter, so it's weird that redshift and widescreen worked fine.

Disabling GPU scaling (and enabling game patches?) does get the filter to show, thanks! This is probably the closest I'll ever get to the DSi XL display on my 3DS, which is really awesome.

4. BETA215

BETA215 GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    GPU scaling overrides any filter you might choose. That's the issue. Either you use a filter, or you choose GPU scaling - in the menu it doesn't matters which filter gets selected if you choose GPU scaling, it just does that scaling thing.

EDIT: oops, after sending the message, the last replies were shown. I never said anything

Last edited by BETA215, Feb 20, 2021
    Sono likes this.
  5. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    Minor TWPatch update.

It's not that well known, but I actually sometimes go out into the wild internet, and search for my own homebrew via various means, just to see what others think about it, and to see if there are any annoyances or issues I could fix.

Sadly not everyone wants to make an account to report a minor thing, and I'm personally guilty in not reporting game-breaking bugs (I don't mean fun or balance-breaking bugs, I do mean useless severe annoyances), so I don't expect everyone to conveniently report issues where I (usually) get notified when someone reports an issue.

Today I found out, that TWPatcher's UI is actually unusable, despite how much I have worked on it to look half decent.

So I have spent some time to "translate" the debug gibberish leftover from the alpha release to easier understandable text, and also changed a little bit on how the UI can be interacted if some things are enabled. Basically I made it less confusing and a bit more foolproof.

So, the changes:
    - Pressing B on the Redshift configurator goes back to the patch menu instead of the scale filter menu
    - Finally unlocked the hiddent content in TWPatch: there are actually more test images than what meet the eye! Hold X + LEFT/RIGHT to switch between them
    - Enabling GPU scaling hides the scale filter list, subtly signalling that GPU scaling is not compatible with scale filters
    - Fixed a bug in the patch selector which was surprisingly not caught until it started corrupting the memory on me...

and the biggest change of all:
    - FINALLY removed the annoying shortcut for enabling widescreen by holding X + START

I'm sorry to piss off people by removing the shortcut, but I bet you'd rather spend a few more seconds just enabling the widescreen patch manually with 100% success rate than trying to "get the timings right on START + X" just because I printed the controls in reverse... I don't want to imagine someone fiddling with this on an old3DS where patching can take up to 6 minutes(!!!), and having to do multiple tries, when it's just actually X + START...

Anyway... as usual, I updated the download in the first post.
    Thanks to chibon chibon for messing up the timing on "START + X", otherwise I would not have realized how unusable the UI was :grog:

6. sks316

sks316 (Future) VTuber - Princess Lillie of the Stars

United States
    As usual, QR code
    upload_2021-2-21_13-32-30.png
    I'm shocked people had problems with it and thought you had to "time it right", I thought it was fairly straightforward

Sono and Nutez like this.
  7. ccfman2004

ccfman2004 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I always had timing issues with the 09/03/2020 build and thought it was an issue with Luma3DS. I only ever got it to work once among the dozens of times I tried.

Sono likes this.
  8. Edgarska

Edgarska Conjurer of cheap tricks

United States
    Probably people who tried to hold start and X at the same time, instead of holding X and then start after.

fmkid, Robz8 and Sono like this.
  9. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    Yeah, but they actually have a fair point, because before I removed the text, it did actually say

START - to patch
    +X - for widescreen
    +Y - to disable rtcom

And not the other way around.

Although now in hindsight I could've made it so the patching starts when you *release* the key, and X was ever pressed during START was held... oh well, this is for the better.

fmkid likes this.
  10. saeros

saeros Newbie
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Does the bug corrupt the memory in any moment or just when you apply the patch? I have the previous build and if the bug only occurs when you patch i prefer to wait a little bit before update.
    unless you tell me it's dangerous to leave it as is

11. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    It's fine, as long as you don't trigger the bug.

The memory corruption happened when you scrolled outside of the visible patch menu area. This did not occur in the scale filter selector, as this was already worked around there from the start. But in the patch menu this issue was just fixed.

saeros likes this.
  12. Alpuy

Alpuy GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    Are you planning to implement 800px mode?

13. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    Yes, in LgyBg. Not into TWPatcher as a patch, because Nintendo's code is so bad and spagetti, I'll lose my last remaining sanity if I'll ever attempt it again...

These images speak on how bad Nintendo made the rendering of two simple images: [1] [2] (yes, on the image the 3DS LCD is in mode800)

Robz8, Red771, Scott_pilgrim and 2 others like this.
  14. ber71

ber71 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    If you enable GPU scaling, the filtering list dissapears as expected, but these filters are still applied to the preview image when pressing up or down. Not important but a bit weird.

15. saeros

saeros Newbie
    Newcomer

Argentina
    something I noticed is that if you deactivate the patch and the filter selector is not in "nintendo default", when you enter tw ++ everything will be very blurry

16. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    That's intentional.

Works fine for me. What did you do exactly?

17. joshuacode751

joshuacode751 Newbie
    Newcomer

Philippines
    May I ask where to input this START+SELECT hotkey?

18. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    You can just hold either START or SELECT, and you hold it immediately after you launch a DS/DSi title.

19. joshuacode751

joshuacode751 Newbie
    Newcomer

Philippines
    Ow I thought its another command because it says START + SELECT. So that feature Automatically set Twilight Menu to run in Pixel Perfect Mode.

20. Sono

OP Sono cripple piss
    Developer

Hungary
    The reason the patch menu says START+SELECT is because the way I implemented it, it exactly inverts how the functionality works. So instead of checking for START *or* SELECT to disable upscaling, my patch changes it so you must hold START *and* SELECT to re-enable upscaling.

Robz8 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - TWPatcher, filters, patches