Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 745,352
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Yes.

As I mentioned previously a good amount of pages back, I disabled it because it's most likely not necessary, and it actually confuses some users. And because I'm a "hardcore" dev, I can't word things in a way that most users can easily understand, which results in some awkward questions like "will the presence (or lack of) the anti-wear patch brick my 3DS, and do I have to re-patch?".

To my end-user interpretation of your explanation, it basically means that activating the anti-wear patch just prolongs your 3DS wi-fi chip lifespan. Due to the way the DS mode is handled, it's designed to eventually fail once the chip is unable to write itself over with the information it needs to rewrite upon every DS mode boot. Correct?

As in, it won't brick the 3DS's DS mode if it's not activated, but if you do enable it, you'll preserve your DS wi-fi chip.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems the 09/03/2020 build doesn't always see that I'm holding the X button to enable widescreen. I don't have that issue in the 07/18/2020 build.

Edit: the one time I got widescreen working with the 09/03/2020 build the widescreen was terrible with lots of pixelation unlike the 07/18/2020 build which looks fine.

Last edited by ccfman2004,
Reactions: RocketRobz

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It seems the 09/03/2020 build doesn't always see that I'm holding the X button to enable widescreen. I don't have that issue in the 07/18/2020 build.

Edit: the one time I got widescreen working with the 09/03/2020 build the widescreen was terrible with lots of pixelation unlike the 07/18/2020 build which looks fine.

The latest experimental has some serious lag issues, hence you need to go like, hold X for one second, then hold START.

As for the bad widescreen quality, did you select the scale matrix? I have quietly fixed a mistake where it wasn't by default on "Sono's crisp", which describes why it's more pixelated on the experimental build.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest experimental has some serious lag issues, hence you need to go like, hold X for one second, then hold START.

As for the bad widescreen quality, did you select the scale matrix? I have quietly fixed a mistake where it wasn't by default on "Sono's crisp", which describes why it's more pixelated on the experimental build.
I always used Nintendo default and GPU Scale Test

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case do not hold X while pressing START, it's only meant for the older versions where the patch menu didn't exist yet.
Which is meant for the older ones? I followed the instructions on the TWiLightMenu++ Wiki to enable Widescreen in DS games.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Which is meant for the older ones? I followed the instructions on the TWiLightMenu++ Wiki to enable Widescreen in DS games.

Hold X to enable widescreen in really old patchers, and hold Y for one second then B for one second for the new version, and enable it from the patch menu. The "hold for one second" part will be eventually fixed.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold X to enable widescreen in really old patchers, and hold Y for one second then B for one second for the new version, and enable it from the patch menu. The "hold for one second" part will be eventually fixed.
Then why does it say to hold X+Start to enable widescreen in the 09/03/2020 build? You have me really confused.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Then how am I supposed to enable widescreen then since the X+start does nothing in the 09/03/2020 build?

It does say how to open the patch menu.
Hold Y for a second or two, then hold B for a bit, then release B, and release Y when the menu shows up.
From there use the DPAD to (awfully slowly) navigate to the widescreen patch and the GPU scale patch (optional). Use A to toggle the patches on/off.
Press B to go back to the main menu, select a matrix you want, then hold *just* START to patch.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does say how to open the patch menu.
Hold Y for a second or two, then hold B for a bit, then release B, and release Y when the menu shows up.
From there use the DPAD to (awfully slowly) navigate to the widescreen patch and the GPU scale patch (optional). Use A to toggle the patches on/off.
Press B to go back to the main menu, select a matrix you want, then hold *just* START to patch.
That doesn't work. Widescreen isn't enabled. Tried that over a dozen or so time and it doesn't enable widescreen.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I did mention a few posts back that the experimental build I uploaded might not work. I guess I wasn't wrong then.

Try an earlier build: https://puu.sh/G8sEO/87b4c649e3.cia
so do I hold the x button when pressing start in the new version or not for widescreen? I remember on a previous version when enabling widescreen it filled the entire screen but now it doesnt is it because I am not holding x and just clicking start when making the patch?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That doesn't work. Widescreen isn't enabled. Tried that over a dozen or so time and it doesn't enable widescreen.
I thought it was just me its still the basic screen fill when running ds games but it doesnt take up the entire screen like in older versions

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the simple question but do i need to go to settings(y+b) and select the gpu upscaling test to enable it or is it enabled by default?

Edit: nvm just selected it and tested, can see the so called blur.

Last edited by Heien,

playsaves3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the simple question but do i need to go to settings(y+b) and select the gpu upscaling test to enable it or is it enabled by default?

Edit: nvm just selected it and tested, can see the so called blur.
gpu scale doesnt have widescreen unforutnately

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself