41.7%
  2. Keep redshift and rtcom only, rest goes to DS side

8.3%
  3. Just make the exe patcher work on the 3DS, the rest is fine DS-side

50.0%
  1. Sono

OP Sono Modern slave; tsundere

Hungary
    It's actually @Gericom who discovered rtcom, both on the ARM7 and on the ARM11. I just drafted the protocoll, and slightly modified Nintendo's code so it works better.

As for the filters, only 1D matrix-based filters work. Blur, sharpen, edge detect, etc. Although it's possible to assign different matrixes to pixels in a repeating pattern, I see no fancy use other than for upscaling purposes (that's actually how upscaling works).

As for shaders, the PICA200 has a fixed pixel shading stage, meaning you can't reprogram it, and thus no fancy filters. This also means no color correction (4x4 matrixes). The LUT is however reprogrammable, and that's actually how CTR_Redshift works!

The only feasible thing would be using the CPU to modify the framebuffer, but considering how little CPU time I have available, it wouldn't be possible without performance degradation in rendering.

Last edited by Sono, Feb 10, 2020 - Reason: corrected wording
    Chaos33, seseiSeki, Robz8 and 3 others like this.
  2. MarioKartFan

MarioKartFan Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Algeria
    @Sono

You and @Gericom are wizards. Thanks for staying devoted to this effort for so long. Does this mean we are close to being able to use the Circle Pad to simulate stylus movements? What remains before we can play, for example, Super Mario 64 using the Circle Pad to simulate the stylus?

Thanks again!

Gericom, Robz8 and Nutez like this.
  3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Can the LUT be altered to make saturation/desaturation possible? Like for GBA purists (not really me), the current dark filters options don't really have the right effect, they feel more like simply darkening the image rather than desaturating it. Important for making some of those early GBA games with super bright palletes look more natural.

4. Sono

Hungary
    No idea, as I didn't try that yet.

The reason it's just darkened is because of what I explained a few posts before, talking about the lack of pixel shaders and 4x4 matrixes. Desaturation is not possible with a LUT, because a color component can't affect the other color components, meaning red can't become white, etc.
    However, Nintendo DOES use a LUT for GBA, but I haven't looked at what it does yet.

5. Mikitok

Mikitok GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    This work in flashcard games? and how to change to original size screen?

6. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This applies for anything TWL_FIRM related so it will indeed affect DS Mode Flashcards. You do need CFW though.

Sono, ZipMartin and Zense like this.
  7. Sono

Hungary
    Should I include a widescreen switcher trainer with TWPatcher?

Dartz150, Reynardine, selcuk and 6 others like this.
  8. selcuk

selcuk Member
    Newcomer

heeey I'm baaaack.. so I want to update the twpatch.cia ok cool. but you see my twlbg.cxi inside of /luma/sysfiles folder is already patched witha nice filter and widescreen. is there any reason to update to the latest patcher aside from rtcom? (which is amazing btw)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

MY GOD YES! THIS IS SO HELPFUL. I don't like how some games work in strecthed wide screen so if you can make the dynamic changer work in flashcards I would worship you

Sono likes this.
  9. Sono

Hungary
    Not yet, but very soon. This new version is really geared towards those who can't/don't want to use the PC patcher, and/or are expecting more what the original patcher was supposed to be in the first place.

Robz8 and Reynardine like this.
  10. selcuk

selcuk Member
    Newcomer

ok so to use the new patcher I just have to delete the old twlbg.cxi and use the patcher normally correct?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

btw the new patcher does make ds widescreen right?

11. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Yes it does. I just installed the .cia and didn't delete anything I had from using widescreen before.

Sono likes this.
  12. Sono

Hungary
    You don't need to delete it, it'll be overwritten automatically when the compression ends after 6minutes.

And yeah, but you need to hold X while pressing and releasing START.

13. Nach18

Nach18 Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Thanks you for this awesome tool!

But please, i would like to play my ds games on night.
    Can you tell me how can I use CTR_Redshift with Twilight Menu++?

(I'm sorry if you already wrote how to do it, it's just that I can't find a way to do it.)

Last edited by Nach18, Feb 22, 2020
  14. Sono

Hungary
    Sadly that's not yet accessible from TWPatch itself, but it's accessible from the exe patcher. Use "mkpatch asd 1" for 3200k redshift, or "mkpatch asd 1001" if you also want widescreen.

Chaos33, Robz8 and Itzumi like this.
  15. MegaJazz

MegaJazz Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Where can we find the exe patcher? Not familiar with this site, also trying to play DS with Redshift.

16. Sono

Hungary
    It's a few pages back. I can't login on my laptop for a few days, so I won't be able to reupload the exe if you can't find it.

If you can wait, then the next feature planned is actually CTR_Redshift, it'll come with the next release.

MegaJazz, Red771, Nutez and 2 others like this.
  17. Chaos33

Chaos33 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    How did you have the Filter, and the Wide-screen patch together before the new TWPatch was released? Did you use my tutorial? Was it a success, if it was tell other people. It is a lengthy process.

18. selcuk

selcuk Member
    Newcomer

nah. your tutorial was too complicated. I used the normal cia patcher to add filters to it then I took the created TwlBg.cxi and patched it to widescreen using the exe patcher as simple as that lol

19. Mikitok

Mikitok GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Noob question how to restore original size screen?

20. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Run the .cia again and just select any filter without holding the button for widescreen.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - TWPatcher, filters, patches