TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sono, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    The problem is is that I don't have a DSi, and my DSLite is fried, so I don't have a comparison base sadly. Perhaps if someone could make a color curve test of both 3DS and DS(i) screens then I could look into color vibrancy, but at this moment I can't.

2. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Nah, the colour issue is definitely just different screen type lmao.

My DSi screen is also more saturated.

Rahkeesh likes this.
  3. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    oh you mean that i thought they meant the picture quality

4. moke_2140

moke_2140 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    Belgium
    picture quality is better on dsi that's for sure, but with sono's patch and maybe a color restoration patch or something, it could look pretty close

Waygeek likes this.
  5. Maxcension

Maxcension Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    France
    i have a question, does the widescreen patch have a scaling filters or i have to apply one w/ the cia? thanks!

6. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Nope, not yet. Since the exe is a debugging tool, and was not intended to be released, it doesn't include any scale matrixes. Besides, the patch wipes the X scaler clean, so it's also very useless.

Maxcension likes this.
  7. Maxcension

Maxcension Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    France
    oh ok! thanks ^^

8. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Because of my job I can't maintain TWPatch as much as I planned to, so have this where you can track my progress without me having to spam updates here. A "fast lane" for those who want to experiment with the patches and the tools before I release them to the public.

MannCo, evertonstz, Tarmfot and 7 others like this.
  9. H123

H123 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2019
    United States
    Hello, I followed the instructions to play the game in widescreen and am using the latest bootstrap and twilightmenu. I am trying to play super mario 64 ds in widescreen but it is only coming out as 4:3. I've redone the instructions a few times now but no change. I made sure I have my Widescreen.cxi in the TwlBg folder inside the _nds/TwilightMenu folder and I changed the setting to 16:10 in the settings. I also enabled Loading external FIRMs and modules in Luma. I am playing my games from the flashcart, R4i 3DS GOLD Plus. Anyone know what might be wrong?

10. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    It appears you missed my reply. :P
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-i-3d...menu-replacement.472200/page-403#post-8795106

11. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Thanks to @Gericom for his idea, it turns out his idea is possible in reality! We present to y'all, DS<-->ARM11 communication!

With this new discovery, it's possible to finally connect the DS and the 3DS world for extended features, including analog input (readable Circle Pad), extra hardware support (gyroscope is possible, but still work in progress), and custom trainers embedded into DS homebrew (via code upload to ARM11).

We're still experimenting with the idea, but in the meantime, here is a demo he made:

We're looking into how to put the communication driver into games to allow game patch makers to easily integrate it into their patches.

12. Midou360

Midou360 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Morocco
    awesome sono! you're a god!

13. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Mario 64 with actual analog control? Dear god...

14. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    wait... if we have access to arm11/communication... Could this mean wireless screen capture for ds mode?

15. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2017
    Italy
    Whoah, woah, woah, wait a minute... This is really something...
    How much of the 3ds features can we use with this "link"? How does it work? What are its limitations?
    Like, can we finally access the extra ram to be used as cache for nds bootstrap? Man I've dreamed of this for years...
    Or maybe, can the ARM11 at least access the sd card directly, without any bottleneck?
    And at last, can we, like, patch the wifi code on the fly to use the WPA2 networks?

Lol now I can't sleep for the hype :rofl2:

Last edited by Valery0p, Sep 21, 2019
    Robz8 likes this.
  16. Gericom

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Well, the communication is not very fast. You won't be using it to expand memory or so. And the arm11 can also not access main memory while it is used by ds mode (switched away). As for wifi code, you wouldn't need arm11 for that since dsi wifi can access wpa2 anyway. But mapping ds wifi to dsi wifi is difficult because it's entirely different, and besides is there still no useable implementation of dsi wifi.
    But, other than that, a lot of the peripherals of the 3ds that don't require high speeds should be sort of possible to implement (things like circle pad, extra buttons, gyro, maybe ir, maybe rgb led and that kind of things)

Last edited by Gericom, Sep 21, 2019
    awtgrduzwt5r9, Tarmfot, Zense and 5 others like this.
  17. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2017
    Italy
    Thanks for your reply... I thought it would be somewhat limited to little memory manipulations...
    Still, this is an amazing discovery, there are a lot of new possibilities from now on, thanks again for all your work guys ^_^

Gericom and Robz8 like this.
  18. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    How is this implemented? I saw changes recently made by @Gericom regarding RTC registers on 3dbrew.

19. Valery0p

Valery0p GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2017
    Italy
    You have an eagle eye ;) quote the TWL mode hacking discord server (I can only read right now)

Tarmfot, Robz8 and ghjfdtg like this.
  20. Gericom

Gericom GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    Yes, it communicates using ds rtc registers (for now at least). The ds rtc is partially software emulated, and as such the registers are read/writable from arm11. Two registers are unused which allows to use them for communication without disturbing the normal rtc functions.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted