TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sono, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    I guess I'm confused because I thought the top backlight had to nearly double in brightness when the parallax barrier was enabled to give the same apparent brightness with 3D on as off. If that's not how it works than forget I said anything.

Even if that was how it worked I guess that's kinda crap for DS mode where you may well need the bottom screen. Really only GBA mode might make sense where you hardly use it.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Sep 10, 2019
  2. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    In 3D mode yes, there is a separate brightness curve (curve*curve + multiplier + offset) for 3D and "2D" mode because of it, but it's afaik not perfectly double. It's useless in DS mode though, because it's forced 2D.

I don't get what you mean by the second statement though.

3. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    @Sono In the last part, Rahkeesh is lamenting that even if you could use the "3D" backlight levels on the top screen, the bottom screen has no 3D and so presumably has no ability to run that bright, so there'd be a substantial brightness mismatch.

4. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Yeah and I'm not sure if brightness curve means something other than say backlight 5 in 3d mode is near double backlight five in 2d mode. I thought the parallax barrier cut off about half the light to each eye so it compensated by turning the backlight up massively in 3d mode.

Even if thats true, it sounds like no-one's gotten the 3d backlight levels to display while in 2d mode, or its somehow infessible due to how the hardware works, etc. And even if it worked you would have a brightness mismatch between top and bottom screens. It just seemed like some untapped potential to make GBA games ridiculously bright for outdoor use.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Sep 11, 2019
  5. moke_2140

moke_2140 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2016
    Belgium
    i really dont understand how to work with python and firmtool, i get stuck at part 4 of the tutorial :(

6. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Haven't looked in on this since page seven, is there a streamlined tool for this yet, and what are the features possible at this stage?

Hope you're sleeping Sono ;)

7. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Uhh... you know that each screen has a separate backlight driver? How else would gsp increase the brightness for the top screen only in 3D mode? xD
    You could probably even turn off the bottom screen in GBA mode to save some power.

Does the exe not work for you?

Don't know when I posted what, but there's a second version with more matrixes, and there is an exe with widescreen patches and debug text, and also experimental GBA support.

Edit: got a job, so I don't sleep anymore. I literally enter the house in my sleeptime.

8. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Does this still have to be done on a game by game basis? Where can I find the most recent start to finish guide for this?

9. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
  10. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
  11. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Both. It's anamorphic widescreen.
    A widescreen cheat code will squish the image, and then the patched TWL_FIRM will stretch it back out.

12. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Woof. Complicated. This still has to be done on a per game basis right? Got a link to the instructions for just the beginning process? Then I might follow the widescreen part, thanks.

13. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    wut? wasn't this "second" version the only one that was publicly released?

14. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Yes, the widescreen cheats need to be done per-game.
    TWiLight Menu++ already includes those, though.

15. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    And just the regular enhancements too? Got a link to a post that details the latest method for that start to finish? Bit of confusion from this thread from what I can see.

BTW you're not the actual Rocket Robz are you?

16. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    I think that he calls the first manual method as his first version of the patch.

Yes, he is.

17. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    There was a first version with a "Pictochat" logo and was named "Teste". Don't know the differences tho'.

18. Waygeek

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Tight. Thanks for what you've done for 3DS Homebrew Robz.

Can someone link me to the post in this thread with the latest version of the instructions from beginning to end, or maybe can we have the most up-to-date instructions put in the original post?

19. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

pip Developer
    Oct 1, 2010
    United States
  20. robyspy

robyspy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Italy
    Hi Robz8, I have a little doubt before starting.
    In the godmode part1 procedure, after doing step 8 "Select Mount image to drive", I do not understand in step 9 which path to enter, which is the correct one?

Part 1: GodMode9

Go to SYSNAND CTRNAND.
    Select title.
    Select 00040138.
    Select # 0000102. (# is 2 on new3DS, and 0 on old3DS)
    Select content.
    Select 000000 ##. App. (## represents any number.)
    Select NCCH image options ....
    Select Mount image to drive.
    Enter path, when asked to.
    Select exefs.bin
    Copy to 0: / gm9 / out
    Power off the console.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted