TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Sono, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    Oh, I documented it?

Well then... in that case this is indeed the default 1.5x scale matrix AgbBg uses. Also good job on knowing the proper orientation of the matrix (it took me a while to get which way the hardware scans it)! The only problem is that you wrote it as Big Endian, but the 3DS is Little Endian, so 1234 would be 34 12 in HxD.

Each column represents a single output pixel. In the code there is also a "hidden" number which represents the number of input pixels as a list of yes/no because the hardware doesn't support non-integer pixel boundaries. For 1.5x it's hardcoded to 27 (not hex) in the binary (code), which is 110011 in binary (number format) (hardware reads this textual representation from right to left, aka. least significant bit to most significant bit). A few posts ago I explained how this works.

I also had problems with the hardware crashing. It turns out that I NEED the patcher, because using the HxD method can result in a corrupted binary for some unknown reason. After I switched to using the patcher, I was able to use even the most retarded scaling matrixes imaginable without crashing. There still seem to be some hardware quirks, but as long as you keep the very first matrix sane, you can do extremely stupid matrixes in the rest of the slots.

"Sono's sharp 1", which is integer scaling with the last two pixels interpolated into eachother. Looks horrible in 2D games, but almost unnoticable in 3D games.

I can't sleep more than 4hrs in this heat because I wake up super dry and cooking hot. Some days I can't sleep at all other than passing out for 1-2hrs a few times during the day. But whatever, better weather should come *eventually* (I hope), and then I'll be able to work with a sane sleep schedule. If weather forecast is right then 24C temperatures should come in 1-2days.

Last edited by Sono, Sep 2, 2019
  2. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Linear Sharpen 1 is the best if you like crisp pixels (just a little less blurry than Nintendo's standard filter)

Last edited by piratesephiroth, Sep 2, 2019
    Sono likes this.
  3. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    In twilight menu I can’t get it to stretch, I have the version 9.2.0 and did all of Robz8’s steps for how to make it stretch, yet it doesn’t

4. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Is "Widescreen.cxi" in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/TwlBg/"?
    If so, make sure there's no "TwlBg.cxi" in "sd:/luma/sysmodules/", and that external modules are enabled in Luma.

5. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Oh, ok

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nvm it’s still not working

I mean it’s still not working even though I followed the instructions, I deleted the twbg.cxi in the sysmodules folder but it’s still not working, also you should clarify that in your initial post

6. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Many don't have that though.
    Also, make sure the game is compatible with widescreen.

7. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    Wait let me check

F4A7105E-EC4D-4309-838B-2AEEB214CF73.
    It still doesn’t work

8. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Does TWiLight Menu++ black screen before starting the game?

9. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    I think

10. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Did you run the .bat file, and not just the .exe file? If so, try redownloading the patcher.

11. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    I ran the .bat file but I’m followed your instructions exactly, if u still think I should try again I will but maybe think of other things that could go wrong

12. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Are you positive you enabled external sysmodules in Luma config? You should double/triple check to be sure.
    If it is enabled, make sure you're on Luma v10.0.1.

13. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    image.
    I am sure

14. Sono
    OP

Sono Modern slave

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
  15. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    I don't think that's needed. I have it disabled, and widescreen still works for me.
    Where is Luma being run from? NAND or SD card?

16. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    How do I check?

17. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    On the bottom of the touch screen in Luma config, it should say in yellow text.

18. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2018
    United States
    image.
    ok does this answer it?

19. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
  20. PokeNev

PokeNev GBAtemp Regular