Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 747,348
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to have separate patches for 16:10 and 4:3 modes? Because the 16:10 mode doesn't work if I have patches applied to the 4:3 mode. But if I don't have patches applied to the 4:3 mode it looks super blurry.

Edit: Wait. Now it's working. I did literally nothing. Lmao.

Last edited by PotatoStatic,

seriffic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic app, thank you. After much testing, GPU scaling for both DS and GBA look the best on my original 3DS. When combined with the gamma correction provided by this tool, I finally enjoy playing GBA games on this screen.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Fantastic app, thank you. After much testing, GPU scaling for both DS and GBA look the best on my original 3DS. When combined with the gamma correction provided by this tool, I finally enjoy playing GBA games on this screen.

TWPatch has Redshift, which includes gamma control as well.
Assuming you didn't find an obscure link that links to some 2020 or 2021 version, you should be able to press Y+B to see additional patches.
If you don't have the Y+B menu, download the latest version, it also has quite a lot of the initial bugs fixed, and the compression time is reduced from 6m23s to 5m53s on old3DS.

seriffic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TWPatch has Redshift, which includes gamma control as well.
Assuming you didn't find an obscure link that links to some 2020 or 2021 version, you should be able to press Y+B to see additional patches.
If you don't have the Y+B menu, download the latest version, it also has quite a lot of the initial bugs fixed, and the compression time is reduced from 6m23s to 5m53s on old3DS.
I've used the gamma control for DS games but don't keep it enabled since the changes disappear when closing / reopening the lid. I've read through most of the thread so as far as I'm aware this is a space(?) limitation, I'm ok with how default colors with GPU scaling look for DS so it's no problem. Thanks for the update :)

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've used the gamma control for DS games but don't keep it enabled since the changes disappear when closing / reopening the lid. I've read through most of the thread so as far as I'm aware this is a space(?) limitation, I'm ok with how default colors with GPU scaling look for DS so it's no problem. Thanks for the update :)

Yup, it is code space limitation *in Nintendo's code*.
The reason closing the lid and reopening it clears the redshift state, is that the LCD and display controller are reinitialized. And since the Redshift tables are huge (compressed!!!), I can only upload the tables on very first screeninit, before the 128MB of RAM is mapped to the DSi side or the GBA cartridge slot emulator.

There is no such limitation in my reimplementation code, and you can even change things on the fly, including widescreen mode, filters, and all that nice QoL stuff.

Ok, there IS still very heavy code space limitation regardless, but we can make homebrew *not* bloated, so we can stretch that small memory space for quite a long way.

WhamPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
This may be a weird question, but the idea has been bouncing around in my head for a few days, so I figured I may as well ask the person who would probably know most about it:

Do you think that, utilizing RTCom, it would be possible to somehow "redirect" a DS game's (specifically Pokemon HG/SS) infrared functionality to the 3DS's IR port?

I've been looking at the source code for shoco's various CPad patches, and... well, it's all going right over my head due to a lack of 3DS coding knowledge! :wacko:

However, depending on how feasible you think it could be, I may be willing to lock in and try to learn some. (The Pokewalker is one of my favorite game accessories of all time, so it would be very cool to make it more accessible.)

Thank you!

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello!
This may be a weird question, but the idea has been bouncing around in my head for a few days, so I figured I may as well ask the person who would probably know most about it:

Do you think that, utilizing RTCom, it would be possible to somehow "redirect" a DS game's (specifically Pokemon HG/SS) infrared functionality to the 3DS's IR port?

I've been looking at the source code for shoco's various CPad patches, and... well, it's all going right over my head due to a lack of 3DS coding knowledge! :wacko:

However, depending on how feasible you think it could be, I may be willing to lock in and try to learn some. (The Pokewalker is one of my favorite game accessories of all time, so it would be very cool to make it more accessible.)

Thank you!

I just read gbatek, and it seems like there is compatibility, as 3DS IR is serial via infrared, not bare (like CGB) and/or NEC IR (that's why you can't use the 3DS as a TV remote).
However, I have a vague memory that the 3DS IR has slight clock drift, so it may be possible that only 3DS<-->3DS communication may work.
Also, I think that 3DS IR has a buffer limit of 16 or 128 bytes (I forgot which), not 184 of what the Pokémon cartridges can do (according to gbatek), so there still may be some problems.

In whatever case, it definitely sounds a lot harder to implement than what I made it sound like.
It may be possible, but definitely don't expect that it'll work with a retail cartridge, only 3DS<-->3DS.

Skillzlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loving TWPatch so far! Much thanks to you~
My favorite feature so far is Redshift since my top screen has a bit of yellowing, so I've adjusted the color temperature for that, with both the Luma menu for 3DS mode and TWPatch for DS mode.
Is it possible to separately apply the color temperature/gamma to the top or bottom screen? For TWPatch, I've only been able to apply it to both screens at once and I don't see any options to configure each screen independently like I could on Luma.

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Loving TWPatch so far! Much thanks to you~
My favorite feature so far is Redshift since my top screen has a bit of yellowing, so I've adjusted the color temperature for that, with both the Luma menu for 3DS mode and TWPatch for DS mode.
Is it possible to separately apply the color temperature/gamma to the top or bottom screen? For TWPatch, I've only been able to apply it to both screens at once and I don't see any options to configure each screen independently like I could on Luma.

It's been asked not too long ago, but I can't find my reply to it, so I'll say the key points again:
  • for TWPatch I'll make it, so you can choose between 3 modes: both, top only, bottom only
  • it's not possible to make a separate one for top and bottom in Nintendo's code due to not enough free code space; one of the screens has to be the default curve
  • this issue doesn't affect reimplementation, and at that point you can even change the filters and scaling in real time, for both screens, but no ETA on any of this. it already works, but touchscreen doesn't work for some reason, and is generally not ready for a user-facing release
  • no ETA on the patch either due to not even being awake enough due to heart problems to work on this patch at all

So rest assured, it's in the queue, but you'll have to be patient. Nobody wants to pick up TWPatch from me (or any homebrew of mine for that matter), so y'all have to patiently suffer faster until I'm able to crawl out of bed for a meaningful amount of time to work on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse