TWPatch lets you use custom DS(i) mode scaling filters on your 3DS

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    From the screenshot looks like trash, uneven.
    I know many people despise bilinear, but is much better than uneven scaling.

Sono likes this.
  2. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    Yeah, they are actually uneven. There are four full-width pixels, and then there is a pixel where 2 or 3 pixels are interpolated into a single pixel, hence making it look like trash. Some people are willing to trade away the blur for the sharpness. Personally I like the sharp one because I get sick from the blur. But yeah, contrasting all the scaling modes to Nintendo's, they did a really good job at making a default scaling mode.

Sakitoshi likes this.
  3. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I suspected it was something like that.
    the limited difference in resolution (256x192 vs 320x240) leaves no room for a better scaling algorithm, bilinear is quite literally the only "good" option. it shows why nintendo didn't even bothered to do something different.

that being said, you did what you could to make it look as good as possible even with those harsh restrictions.

Sono likes this.
  4. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Actually, the only restriction at this point is my mathematical knowledge. If people could find me some scaling matrixes and/or image processing matrixes then I could port them to the matrix hardware, but I can't math out a new matrix due to my lack of mathematical knowledge. It took me an hour to recreate linear interpolation from scratch in mspaint :/ (yes, I made it in mspaint)

Sakitoshi likes this.
  5. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    I just looked at it in a bit more detail, and I don't think it's possible at all. The matrix hardware can only do interpolation based on an image processing kernel, it can't do anything else. It's not programmable at all, it just does fixed-point arithmetic.

6. Retro_Mod_Gamer

Retro_Mod_Gamer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Canada
    Congrats Sono Amazing work!

Classicgamer and Sono like this.
  7. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for looking.

Sono likes this.
  8. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    Holy ***!

Amazing job @Sono, and thank you very much!

9. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    If you hold down Start or Select while a DS/GBA game is booting (or rather, while the flashcart is booting), it will launch it at its native resolution. And you don't need CFW for that.

This is my preferred method because it doesn't hurt your eyes as much at night, having those black borders around. And it doesn't WASTE battery life either because A) having to upscale each frame means extra CPU strain, and B) the screen isn't fully lit because of the previously mentioned black bars (bars which you don't even notice at night I might add).

In my opinion, Nintendo should have included these filters from the get-go, along with a blue light filter and a dark night theme. I mean, they only had EIGHT YEARS to add them in an update! Leave it up to the community to follow through... Good job, Nintendo.

Last edited by DSpider, Jul 12, 2019
  10. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Unless you have an XL model 3DS, that's going to be way too small to view. But that's just me, I have very bad vision.

A) it's upscaled using specialized hardware, WHICH IS ON EVEN IN 1x SCALING MODE! You're not "wasting" any less battery in 1x mode :P
    B) actually the opposite is true: black pixels require double the power: turning a pixel black to obstruct light requires extra power than to keep it in the "white" state, and blocking out backlight is a waste of backlight. This is TN, not (AM)OLED.

I am working on the blue light filters. I'm just trying to minimize the the code as much as possible to fit into the already existing space.

jupitteer, uyjulian, grey72 and 5 others like this.
  11. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Sounds fantastic, I'll try it out - I really want something like this for GBA games, I hate the way GBA games look on the 3ds virtual console.

12. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Yes, GBA mode is on the list.

KingBlank likes this.
  13. Dodain47

Dodain47 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2017
    Austria
    "B) actually the opposite is true: black pixels require double the power: turning a pixel black to obstruct light requires extra power than to keep it in the "white" state, and blocking out backlight is a waste of backlight. This is TN, not (AM)OLED."

Nice! So can we expect an increase in battery life!?:)

14. Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 2, 2016
    Germany
    Hmmm, I don't see a difference.

15. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    Brilliant! Putting something together in an unorthodox way makes the end result all the more interesting.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If/when the stretching mode is created so the top screen has less black pixels, yeah, but expect the difference in battery life to be minute - in fact, it may well be a literal minute.

Come to think of it, @Sono, would it be possible to make the black bars white?

Sono likes this.
  16. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    I have a dejavu with this question.

I know it's possible, but it requires way too much work, and has a risk of breaking the stability™ of Nintendo's fake display code.

It's not worth the hassle for me, sorry :/

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No matter what you do, the battery life will be the same. The difference is immeasurable, but a black screen wastes more power than a fully white one.

17. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    This sounds intriguing, but I am happy playing old gen games on their respective consoles. I prefer to evade the drawbacks of "putting all my eggs in one basket".

Sono likes this.
  18. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    These won't work if you are playing ds games via a flashcart right?

19. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    They do. This is a patch for TWLFIRM, so it will work for anything ran in DS mode.

20. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    [EXTREME INTEREST INTENSIFIES]
    OMG

Sono and FateForWindows like this.