TWPatch lets you use custom DS(i) mode scaling filters on your 3DS

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
    I take this as an offense. How would I know how these filters look like if I didn't try them? I even said in my thread that I scrapped many because of how inferior they look to Nintendo's own matrix.

Also, I tried taking screenshots, but my phone camera is shit, and can't afford to get a better one, so I'm sorry that I can't take better screenshots because of hardware limitations.

Edit: also, I don't rush releases since the UnbanMii incident. I HAD TO try the scaling methods just to see if any of them hardlock the matrix hardware.

Last edited by Sono, Jul 12, 2019
  2. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    Screenshots of all current scaling options
    EDIT: Keep in mind, as Sono has said, screenshots on a computer monitor/phone screen/etc. are not going to look the same as they will on the 3DS itself, these should be considered to be a guide only.

Last edited by Vague Rant, Jul 12, 2019
  3. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Ye
    Learn to read, Sono already said that the only difference can be seen in the real hardware, and this wasn't by any means rushed, it was a work that took days. You haven't even tried on a real 3DS so shut up.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You described exactly what a matrix is lol, and graphic-wise, these are called like that in OpenGL for a reason, these operations must be applied in an specific order, not radomly or by a set condition, they need to be "matrixed" yes or yes.

Arcanuskun likes this.
  4. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    This looks promising.

Sono likes this.
  5. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    But not all filters work based on matrixes. Some filters use CPU computing power, whereas matrixes only require mathematical units, like the matrix blitter hardware found in the 3DS.

Dartz150 likes this.
  6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    IF THE proofs the author provided can show anything, the which is the point to it there? maybe the author's HB works, but all i said was ''his pics didn't show any difference before and after'', perhaps u are the one should learn how to read?

7. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Have some respect
    Sono worked hard on this

Catiorro, jupitteer, Peloisan and 6 others like this.
  8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me?
    which part can be considered as an offence?

9. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Why would I need to show proof? I only showed the screenshots to show people what to expect, it's up to them to try it out and decide that they prefer the original scale kernel.

Catiorro, jupitteer, Peloisan and 4 others like this.
  10. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp's Official Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Oh that's right, I remember back in school learning how to make a convultion filter, a very simple and fast operation that ran in an old 2000's computer. But still, you have demonstrated that the 3DS uses an upscaling matrix, I guess you will document your findings in 3Dbrew?

11. Idontknowwhattoputhere

Idontknowwhattoputhere See i would put something here if i knew what to

Jan 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    You criticize a homebrew/tool without even trying it
    Get lost with your crap

12. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Already did it a week or so ago.

Dartz150 likes this.
  13. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    As others have stated, it's impossible to capture the differences in a picture. That's like comparing HDTV's by looking at pictures of their screens.

Raylight, Sophie-bear and Sono like this.
  14. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Please calm down a bit, he didn't criticize it, he was just making assumptions without trying it.

Last edited by Sono, Jul 12, 2019
  15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No one needs proof, but it would be nice to have a comparison showing every scaling type, it saves everyone time and effort on something they may not like anyway. I'm especially curious about Linear sharpen 1. Even though I might have sounded a bit harsh earlier, I think this project is much needed and a great idea. I just don't like how that one filter looks. Which makes me curious what the rest of them look like.

Sono likes this.
  16. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Some of the other options in the .cia yield better results. For instance, the "Linear Sharpen 1" options keeps some linear interpolation (I think) while sharpening up some color edges that the 3DS native option blurs. It's subtle, but an improvement. Some of the options do look worse to me than the 3DS native scaling method, including the one in the screenshots in OP here, but that's just an opinion.

jupitteer and Sono like this.
  17. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    See my post earlier on this page, I posted screenshots of every filter available in TWPatch right now. Again, the way they look on whatever device you're using to read GBATemp won't be the same as on a 3DS.

Sono likes this.
  18. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I actually see barely any difference between those two Screenshots

19. jurai

jurai GBAtemp Fan

Dec 23, 2005
    are there any direct captures of the differences?

20. Sono

Sono The MCU Deity

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    I took out my best camera, yet it's still not possible to capture the difference using it due to how subtle yet noticable it is in games. Sadly no matter how I try, I can't capture the differences using a camera, especially when comparing linear interpolation to linear interpolation with slightly more edge detect.

Nintendo's default
    Linear sharpen