Hacking Two speed comparisons

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are two speed results using the usb reader that came with the R4. I have the Silver USB 2.0 reader.

The first screen-shot is of my Sandisk 1GB TF card.
The second is of the Kingston (JPN) 1GB TF card.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
70X is just right for both of those cards, but it doesn't tell the whole story. If you use a program like HD Tach, you'll find that those two cards have very different random access times, which is very important to the performance of the card in a flashcart. The Kingston Japan will have much faster random access times than the Sandisk, which is why it performs so well in memory-access intensive games.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk suxxorz.......stick with the Kingston baby
yaynds.gif

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jdt,

Point taken... i didn't know that about the RATs.

I don't think the Sandisk sucks at all. I've had very good results with all my Sandisk cards so far. Thanks for the replies.

flanker22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kingston sucks they have a shitty batch and a good batch of mircosd. patriot microsd are all fast.

and one more thing the good kingston batch all have the same serial code as
pny, us modular, toshibas. (so the good shit isnt really from kingston at all it has more to do with the manufacturer)

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
the 1gb kingston J i have is faster and seems more stable than a 1gb ocz, 1 gb lexar, and 1 gb pny (taiwan)

i have never triend patriot but i might now after reading your post flanker22
what exactly makes the performance of flash cards so unreliable? manufacturing process and materials?

flanker22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is pure speculation i honestly have no clue but i want to say the quality of the materials say the circuits on a microSD are pure metals while in taiwan their standards for quality are much lower meaning the metals are contaminated meaning less conduction.

another thing i found out was relying on speeds given on packages such as 60x are pointless because the real kicker is the random access speed this is why sandisks have high speeds but fail for some roms.

Also i'd like to speak further on kingston and patriot. The reason why theres so much drama over kingston memory is because Kingston sold so many microSDs that they outsourced some of their production to a taiwan manufacturer and several other japanese manufacturers you can see this from thier huge range of serial numbers and variations in decals. Look for SD-CO1G Japan (us modular, pny, kingston, toshibas, Dane-Elec good batches all have this written on them)

From what i've read patriot has very high standards for memory, i've also read that they dont crash in POR. If you go to http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list confirms that. Even before microSD patriot was regarded as a quality manufacturer.

fatmonkeybutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought a patriot 2gb microsd from newegg. 35 shipped. it is great. speed tested with hd tach is around 9.7mb to 10.2 mb transfer rate. similar to kingston japan 1 gb microsd card. the speed for kingston is 10.1 mb to 10.4 mb transfer rate. hopeful this help people out. fyi this card is made in taiwan
i tested POR briefly i dont see slowdown on start. played 5 minutes no crach yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head