Two Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ViciousXUSMC, Aug 14, 2009.

Aug 14, 2009

Two Questions by ViciousXUSMC at 7:59 AM (1,078 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

Newcomer ViciousXUSMC Advanced Member

United States
    I bricked my original Wii a couple weeks ago following the "ultimate system menu 4.0 guide" was not the guides fault but it neglected to mention any information about region codes for using the NDUS programs and also didnt have any warnings about how you should never uninstall a system menu or IOS/CIOS but instead install over it.

Its probably common sense on both accounts for anybody thats really into the wii mod scene but not for somebody who is just following a guide blindly.

I picked 4.1E because I thought it was "English" and J was "Japanese" I didnt even notice the "U" because I was in a hurry. When I installed the wrong region system menu on my Wii I figured I needed to uninstall it and then install the correct one, and of course I full bricked my Wii (I still do not understand why though, I installed the new system menu so it should have replaced any missing files right?)

So I sold that broken wii and got a new one off craigslist, its all scratched up and not nearly as nice as mine was but its at least working and now its time to softmod this one.

I browse the forum often and I found 3 nice looking guides.

> The Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide
    > Simplistic mod - A MUST FOR ALL NEWBIES
    and
    > Noob Starter Guide, Please read before hacking your Wii.

All 3 are good guides and I can follow them easy and they share many steps, but there are some differences. seems some of them use a different CIOS and things like that. So due to these small differences is there one guide you feel better than the others?

Thats the first questions, witch guide of the 3 do you recommend.

2nd question is about the usb loaders.

I read here and there about the issues with getting the games on a hard drive or usb drive in the correct format and how adding a new game can mess up old games things of that nature. I really want to use a PC program to drag/drop the files pretty much rather than have to burn a disk first and then rip the disk. Do we have a fully functional PC application for this yet that is just as good as doing it the slower way of ripping a disk?

Also may as well ask what your favorite usb loader is. I was just going to use neogamma but the customizable one with the 3d box art and stuff looks really nice.

2. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    follow mine from the beginning word for word. i guarantee you it will work smoothly.
    you'll be brick protected and up to date.

as for usb loader look into configurable usb loader or usb loader gx.

i personally use configurable usb loader.

3. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    Yeah configurable is the one that is totally pro looking with its gui.

Though I still need to find a way to actually get my games on a HDD to use it, and I am sure it takes quite a bit of time to setup all the files/folders to have it look all pro like the videos they have showcasing it.

Most of my games are already burned to a disk because I was using Gamma .3 for a long time and 3.2U but I just hate to burn new games to a disk when I could just transfer them right from the computer to the hdd.

4. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    its not hard at all

grab wbfs mananger and use it to format your drive.
    then use that program to drap and drop the iso's onto your hdd.
    then use configurable usb loader to download the covers online

they've made it a little bit to easy for us.

5. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    id be cafeful formating your drive if you dont no what your doin u could format the wrong one so insert you SD/USB Stick/ Portablde HDD into your computer and pay attention to what drive letter it is before formating it to WBFS. dont want you formating C: drive and flaming ppl lol

just a helpful hint

6. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    All these guides are basically saying the same thing, I used The Ultimate System Menu 4.0 Guide when I hacked my Wii, and although it's updated since I did mine it seems to me to be the easiest to understand.

I prefer to do installations offline, but online seems to be easier. Just follow the guide and you should be fine.

Some things to remember:

Do not delete System Menu IOS or any other IOS without knowing the consequences.
    Try to install Bootmii boot2 and do a NAND backup before installing any WADs.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions at Noob Paradise before or during your hacking. Do remember though, the community is NOT responsible for any bricks you may incur while hacking your Wii.

Before buying a USB drive, consult The USB Device Compatibility List.
    A list of loaders can be found at "Ultimate USB Loader & Accesories...""
    I prefer Neogamma because of its streamlined interface, but for a user friendly loader, most Waninkoko based loaders are preferred, check the list for the one most suitable for you.

As for PC-client software I prefer AlexDP WBFS Manager 3.0.1 found near the bottom of the client list. Most if not all WBFS managers require Microsoft's .NET Frameworks available for download in one package at Microsoft.com.

7. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    haha dont worry about that, I am a computer tech. I know a computer in and out. Thats half the reason I killed my Wii because they are like opposite worlds.

I have Japanese installed on my computers because I speak some Japanese and know 2 of the alphabets, often when talking to people in japan we use "E" and "J" to abbreviate and also in computer land if you install something bad like say some bad video card drivers. The last thing you want to do is install your new good drivers ontop of them, you want to uninstall the bad ones and probably clean your registry too. Same with OS installs nobody ever wants to do an "upgrade" install of there OS they always want a "clean" install.

I took that idea to the wii and that is what bricked it.

So just because I fouled up on the Wii dont let that make you think I am a novice with a computer.

8. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    Thanks,

Sad thing about the bricked Wii is I had bootmii on there and it was boot2 and I did the Nand backup (including letting it verify) first thing I did when I saw I had the wrong region system menu was go to restore my Nand, and then bootmii said "Cant find file" or something like that. I was like WTH???! Pulled the SD card out put it in my PC and sure enough the nand.bin file was nowhere to be found. I have not a clue what happened. This time though I am going to make like 3 seperate Nand backups just and have it stored on my website, my laptop, my netbook and my desktop and maybe my flash drive too [​IMG]

When I get around to building my windows home server it can hold it as well, I am not losing that nand this time. Also I learned from my mistake about uninstalling stuff the first time around, a 2nd trip wont be needed.

9. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    u never no tho, u could of been a windows noob lol. the amont of ppl saying they formated the wrong drive and wiped all there music backups and stuff. just giving out warnings to make sure [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    u could always get it back by gettig it chipped then using a backip disk to restore the wii, it somtimes helps

11. Senbonzaku101

Member Senbonzaku101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I haven't bricked my Wii yet, but I lost a nand backup and then decided to do the same. I have it on two flash drives, on my sd card and on my desktop with it named DONOTDELETE.bin [​IMG]

12. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    better safe than sorry, that reminds me i need to update my backup to 4.1 now lol

13. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Well you seem to have linked my guide...have you actually read through it?

The point of it is to explain everything you need to know about all of the things you do in the other guides so you know why you're doing it before you do. There's a lot of information to read in it, but I think if you do read through it all you will have at least a bit better understanding of how everything works.

Also, while the ULTIMATE guide is pretty straightforward and easy to follow, it still has a few things that it could change at least in the online guide. IOS and cIOS downgrader are not needed at all and can brick newer Wii's, also he has you use the cIOS rev10 installer, which I don't believe allows you to choose what IOS to use to install so I'm not sure if that even works on virgin Wii's after only getting the trucha bug on IOS36. Then with the 4.1 updater, if you don't have IOS60 installed in some form beforehand, it won't work so the dop-IOS step should be done before the updater.

I think I may get around to mentioning that in my guide as well.

14. ViciousXUSMC
    OP

United States
    Ok so I am not crazy,

I started to mod the new wii and got HBC & Bootmii on there with bannerbomb.

I did the nand backup and let it sit forever (actually left the house for a while) came back and it was done, and verified.

Went to go put that nand.bin on my computer for safe keeping and its not there! Just like the first time when I bricked my wii and I "lost" that file and I never did anything to lose it. For some reason it is just not being created.

edit: looks like it finally worked on the 3rd try.

I formatted my sd card with the HP usb drive utility rather than windows.