Two of the leads on the Yakuza series are leaving SEGA

img_members.png

Toshihiro Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato, creator of and longtime producer on the Yakuza series, respectively, announced today they would be leaving SEGA, meaning a restructuring for Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, the studio responsible for the Yakuza and Judgment franchises. In a farewell message posted on Ryu Ga Gotoku website, Nagoshi, who is also known for creating the Super Monkey Ball series, had the following to say: "As of today, a new Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio is born where the series will live on. Though I don’t know for sure what they will create, I believe the new generation will further enhance the foundation we built over the years and deliver great games to the world."

Taking over as head of the studio is Masayoshi Yokoyama. Yokoyama is a founding member of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, and has been a writer on the series since the beginning, eventually working up to directing Yakuza 5 and becoming chief producer of the series around 2015. Taking over for him as chief producer on Yakuza is Hiroyuki Sakamoto, producer of 2020's Yakuza: Like a Dragon and director of the Yakuza 2 remake. Ryosuke Horii, director of Like a Dragon, will also be chief director on the Yakuza series.

As of right now, it is not known where Toshihiro Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato will go next, though a Bloomberg report from August rumoured that Nagoshi was in talks to join Chinese game developer NetEase.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting. I know the "employee for life" thing Japan had has taken a bit of a kicking in recent years but it is still notable when an otherwise employee for life leaves such a position.
Given Sega basically gave the first guy at least an imprint/sub company I can't imagine conditions are that bad, no speculation of malfeasance (I would assume that would also be reflected in any positions he still holds like atlus board positions), I know "take time to be with family" is a meme at this point but there is that too, and that then leaves Netease (or someone else) rolling up the truckload of money to his house which is a possibility I guess (10 years as a show pony, possibly with a cut, likely funds a nice retirement).
Will be curious to see the next moves.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, at least they closed somehow kiryu's story, but yeah I hope they don't put some lame fucker behind Ryu ga gotoku series or judge eyes.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Keep this updated, towards if they find or found a new studio. :)

I had a feeling Sega was driving the studios into remaking the series to have more emo subculture appeal - and to become overly whacky and caaraaazy! :)

There is a fine level of pulp and nonsese you needed to hit with Kazuma Kiryu, which with the new characters went out of the window. Was worried about artistic direction. So if they can get a foothold as independents it might be better for them. :)

(Lets get into discussions about how much of Yakuzas humor played off the notion that Kazuma Kiryu might have still been a virgin next.. :) It was tons... :) )

edit:

Haha, probably hit the nail on its head.. :)

That attitude:

likely doesnt fly with Sega anymore... :)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)